2017' Mr. Gorilla

Y2CJ41

That is based off of nothing what-so-ever. Davison is a top 5 guy in the country. You would have to go far back into his career to see him get beat that handily in folkstyle.

Isn't Gunnar also ranked in the country ? 

Mason Parris is a machine idk what the score would be but I definitely think i'd take him over Davison. 

This brings up a point that I think college wrestling is getting wrong. There has to be a ton of good wrestlers between 210 & 230 lbs that this really hurts. They can't make 197 & be effective & then are giving up to much weight wrestling HWT.

Kyle Snyder is such a freak he is the exception. I believe college wrestling would benefit adding a 220 weight class.

Has the collegiate heavyweight always been 285 or did it used to be unlimited like high school? I've always thought that both levels may benefit from moving classes to 200, 240, and 300 or something along those lines. Lots of great athletes out there who are big football players don't want to lose weight to wrestle 285. I understand that heavyweight is typically pretty slim pickings any way but I feel people may be surprised at who this could bring into the sport.

I'd say Evan Ellis! State champ, beat the runner up from last year in the semifinals.Handled the #1 guy in the finals, 3x state placer. And only loss in high school last 2 years was in the semis to Mason Parris his junior season. A true All American got 2nd in country at junior folkstyle nationals as a sophomore and got 2nd last year and didn't give up a point until wrestling a beast in Gable Steveson in the finals. Lost to Mason Parris last year at ISWA state14-7. The grades are there he's wrestling in the Ivy League next year. He's a class act, great young man and wrestler. Believe he's the first state champ from his school?

My top 3

1.) Breyden Bailey

Career record: 182-5 (3 losses in semis, 2 out of state to the #3 kid in the country)

-Cathedrals all time most wins record holder

Cathedral wrestles a tough schedule

State placings- (3,3,3,1)

4th at super 32

Ranked 12th on intermat, 13th on flowrestling.

NIU commit

2.) Andrew Davison

(SSQ, 5th, SQ, 1st)

Fargo champ

3rd at super 32

Ranked 8th on flo and intermat

Wrestle a decently tough schedule

Michigan commit

3.) Gunnar Larson

Larson from Avon

4x SQ

3x Placer

only 2 loses (JR SR year) both to Parris

2017 Mental Attuide Award

heading to West Point

couldve been a 2x Champ if wasnt for a guy named Mason Parris

No offense to Gunnar Larson (by all accounts he seems like a great kid), or Cummings, but if you didn't win a state title as a senior (or at all) then you shouldn't be in consideration.

Why does it matter what year in high school you won a state title?  Only 1 senior in this whole senior class was a 2x state champion, that was Colton Cummings.

If you asked the question "whose career would you most like to have?", I'd bet most people would say the one that ended with 2 state titles.

Not the one that had 3 losses in the state semifinals and only one title.

Not the one that had a ticket round loss, a loss on Friday night, and only one title.

Not the one that had 3 state placements and only one trip to the finals and no titles.

Not saying he didn't have a great career.  Cummings did, as did Larson.  For me, my number 1 criteria is being an undefeated senior state champ.  From there, everything else would be a tie breaker.  Since only seniors are eligible, I think you should be a greater emphasis on what they did as seniors.  But that's just my opinion.

If it's the Indiana version of the Hodge trophy for seniors only (most dominant p4p season of the seniors), give it to Andrew Davison or Evan Ellis, the only two without a loss this year

If it's a culmination award over 4 years for the senior with the best career, give it to Colton Cummings, the only 2x state champion in this senior class.

If it's the Indiana version of the Hodge trophy for seniors only (most dominant p4p season of the seniors), give it to Andrew Davison or Evan Ellis, the only two without a loss this year

If it's a culmination award over 4 years for the senior with the best career, give it to Colton Cummings, the only 2x state champion in this senior class.

The criteria is vague in that each voter can see fit as to how they want to vote. 

I personally lean towards best career, but the voters do not need to vote in that manner.

I kinda went 50/50 Senior Season & Rest of HS career with my thought process. I ranked my top picks for best senior season and tournament finish. Then ranked my top picks for best combined Fresh-Junior seasons and tournament finishes from the group of Seniors.

I combined the rankings for the two lists and came out with Bailey as my most deserving pick.

Edited by MattM

Eli Stock is just as deserving, Academically He has 3.8 GPA. He is 3 conference champ

Holiday classic champ sectional champ regional runner up. State champ at 170. Also football state champ came last year. Semi state football this year.1st place indy nationals last year several other places on podium.

Also he was the lowest ranked young man ever to win a state championship. He is making history at our school bring in 3 state championship titles no one has ever done that at our school. Plus he was a total underdog, always was humble and class act He is a kindergarten Cadet teacher aid and an all around awesome young man that a great leader to our wrestling youth league. Thank you.

Eli Stock is just as deserving, Academically He has 3.8 GPA. He is 3 conference champ

Holiday classic champ sectional champ regional runner up. Semi state champ and State champ at 170. Also football state champ came last year. Semi state football this year.1st place indy nationals last year several other places on podium.

Also he was the lowest ranked young man ever to win a state championship. He is making history at our school bring in 3 state championship titles no one has ever done that at our school. Plus he was a total underdog, always was humble and class act He is a kindergarten Cadet teacher aid and an all around awesome young man that a great leader to our wrestling youth league. . Eli record for the season 40 wins with 2 loses. All season Thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.