2017' Mr. Gorilla

Y2CJ41

Lots of great choices, but only one will be named Mr. Gorilla.

Who would you pick and why?

Note: Here is the criteria sent to voters

The criteria for selection will be left intentionally vague as we want a variety of opinions as to who the voters think is the best wrestler. Some general criteria that can be considered is listed here:

1. Must be a senior

2. Undefeated/fewest losses. A midseason loss would not disqualify a wrestler.

3. Domination. Number of pins, tech falls

4. Level of competition.

5. Body of work previous to senior year. State and national resume.

6. Character

7. Grades

Any, or all of these may, or may not, be taken into consideration by you as a voter when making your selections.

Bailey, Laughlin, and Ellis.

From a national resume got to go with Davison.

I have no idea about grades but Ellis is Ivy League so his grades must be decent lol.

Character? Community service?

Can you put information about wrestlers besides their wrestling accomplishments?

Andrew Davison. He's a senior who capped off his career with a 42-0 season and state championship. He pinned his way through the tournament (with an injury default in the semis). He's had a pretty high level of competition over the course of this year. He has an impressive national resumé as a Fargo champion and double All-American. His character and class is tremendous along with his grades as I believe he also made Senior Academic All-State. He'd be one I would vote for.

My thoughts:

1. Andrew Davison 

- Undefeated State Champ

- Defeat of 3x Runner Up

- Previous 5th Place at State

- Best National Resume 

- Scholarship to Michigan (shows academic and athletic prowess)

- Only negative - Upset in 1st Round at State '16

2. Breyden Bailey

- Really close w/ Evan Ellis

- 4x Placer, 3x 3rd and 1st

- Nationally ranked .  

- Headed to Northern Illinois.  

- No real negatives

3. Evan Ellis

- Undefeated State Champ

- 3x Placer

- Ivy League in future assures academics in order 

Solid National Resume w/ multiple placements at USAW Folkstyle, Cadet & Junior

- The only negative and possibly not fair - Did he move to 285 to avoid Mason Parris?  He wrestled 220 as recently as April '16.  Moved to 285 in summer so maybe it's not the case, but it makes me wonder.  I couldn' blame him if that was the case, but if true it would keep me from voting him #1. Either way, after a lot of thought, I rated Bailey higher regardless but very close between the two.

4. Brad Laughlin

3x Placer

- Headed to Army West Point

- Only lost to Joe Lee 4-0 in State Semi Final in '16 

5. Brendan Black 

3x Placer

- committed to IU

Others considered:

- Alec White

- Eli Stock

- Jacob Gray

Note: I only considered Champions. I could see consideration for Tristan Tonte also.

Edited by SWINfan

Larson from Avon

4x SQ

3x Placer

only 2 loses (JR SR year) both to Parris

2017 Mental Attuide Award

heading to West Point

couldve been a 2x Champ if wasnt for a guy named Mason Parris

Edited by DLane

Hard to vote against Colton Cummings. The ONLY 2x state champion in this senior class and had as dominant a 2 year run as I've seen his sophomore and junior years. Great student and community member headed to West Point. Had the national success as well (2nd at USA Folkstyle Nationals). An injury derailed his title hopes this season but IMO he had the best career of any of this years seniors.

***The only negative and possibly not fair - Did he move to 285 to avoid Mason Parris?  He wrestled 220 as recently as April '16.  Moved to 285 in summer so maybe it's not the case, but it makes me wonder.  I couldn' blame him if that was the case, but if true it would keep me from voting him #1. Either way, after a lot of thought, I rated Bailey higher regardless but very close between the two.*****

I believe (thought I read it in the paper) he made the move to 285 because that is what he will be wrestling at brown...he couldnt get to 197...College only has 10 weights.

I would also like to throw out gunner larson...4 time state qualifier at 220..didn't give up a take down this year until the match with Paris...has wrestled on multiple national teams..also going d1 (west point)..mental attitude award winner...chose to stay at 220 because it was best for his team.

I think my list would have to be

1.Brayden Bailey

2.Gunner larson

3.Evan Ellis

4.Andrew Davison

5.eli stock

*honorable mention*

Paul konrath or nick lee

Guys alot of good names on this list but I have watched alot of high school wrestling and I say for pure excitement alone and giving the crowd one of the best matches in State Finals history albeit not for a title.  But I would vote Robert Samuels of Lawrence North.  Both kids wrestled their hearts out in a under the lights worthy match and both had fun with it and showed great sportsmanship.  

I believe (thought I read it in the paper) he made the move to 285 because that is what he will be wrestling at brown...he couldnt get to 197...College only has 10 weights.

This brings up a point that I think college wrestling is getting wrong. There has to be a ton of good wrestlers between 210 & 230 lbs that this really hurts. They can't make 197 & be effective & then are giving up to much weight wrestling HWT.

Kyle Snyder is such a freak he is the exception. I believe college wrestling would benefit adding a 220 weight class.

This brings up a point that I think college wrestling is getting wrong. There has to be a ton of good wrestlers between 210 & 230 lbs that this really hurts. They can't make 197 & be effective & then are giving up to much weight wrestling HWT.

Kyle Snyder is such a freak he is the exception. I believe college wrestling would benefit adding a 220 weight class.

Good point -  Makes you wonder what Paris is going to do in College.  Heard he might play just football.     Big difference when you have to add 60 to 70 more lbs.

I see this as a 2 horse race between Davison & Bailey with Black & Ellis a close 3-4 (no particular order) followed by Cummings. Also, honorable mention to Larson & Tonte.

While I understand the mention of Nick Lee & I would not & am not criticizing him for his decision, this is a senior award & IMO if you don't wrestle your senior season then you forgo consideration for this recognition.

Edited by SIACfan

I see this as a 2 horse race between Davison & Bailey with Black & Ellis a close 3-4 (no particular order) followed by Cummings. Also, honorable mention to Larson & Tonte.

While I understand the mention of Nick Lee & I would not & am not criticizing him for his decision, this is a senior award & IMO if you don't wrestle your senior season then you forgo consideration for this recognition.

I agree completely on Nick Lee.  Shouldn't even be in the discussion.  On my list I only looked at champions.  Didn't think about Cummings or Larson.  Both deserve consideration, but I think both fall short if the award leans toward the senior year.  If it is a "career" award, Cummings has to come into discussion more, but 2 first round exits doesn't help.  How do you weigh 2 titles with 2 Friday night losses?   Glad I don't have to make the call! 

I stick by my assertion that Davidson is the best P4P in the state.

That's great.  But it wouldn't be terrible to spell his name correctly if you like him so much!    ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.