In vs Ky state champs

1prouddad

This is generally a topic every year. How does Indiana boys stack up against Ky. Indiana listed 1st with grade and record.

106- Curtis(10)43-0 vs Escalara(8)50-0

113- Viduya(9)47-2 vs Cagen Wallace(11)57-0

120-Rooks(10)46-1 vs Brady Wells(12)50-3

126-White(12)39-1 vs Ryan Moore(11)45-2

132-Bailey(12)42-1 vs Saul Ervin(11)53-1

138-Black(12)30-1 vs Bryce Sheffer(12)55-0

145-Lee(11)46-0 vs Joey Roberts(12)47-3

152-Lee(11)36-0 vs Zane Brown(10)55-1

160-Laughlin(12)46-1 vs Geordon Blanton(12)42-1

170-Stock(12)41-2 vs Casey Cornett(12)56-3

182-Gray(12)42-2 vs Max Andreoni(12)55-0

195-Davison(12)42-0 vs David Woods(11)43-1

220-Parris(11)53-0 vs Bryan Patt(10)46-9

285-Ellis(12)46-0 vs Hunter Ruber(12)38-6

Don't know a whole lot about some of the Ky wrestlers, maybe some of our Gurus can help out.

I'll say Escalara is an absolute stud and only an 8th grader. He TF Hinderliter(EMD) and majored Rioux(Av) at the EMD classic.

Saul Ervin pinned a tough Clark(Av) but failed to score against Luigs(EMD) at the classic.

Sheffer(UC) is as tough as they come. He beat a tough Conley(Av) 7-1 at the classic

You are plain out-of-touch with wrestling if you say we would beat KY 14-0.  Would we win?  Yes...but it would be more like 9-5 or 10-4.  possibly 8-6 or 11-3.  But they do have some good kids who would be very capable of winning/placing high at our tournament.  

106 Escalara beat Rioux 14-6 and Curtis beat him 7-0.  106 would be a toss up.

120 Wheeler of St. X finished 3rd.  Dickens beat him 5-3.  Dickens beat Poynter 2-1 and Poynter finished 4th.  Dickens beat Triana 6-4 and he got 3rd.

at 126, Alec White beat Austin Cook KY 8-1.  Cook got second at state losing 7-0.

132, Luigs finished 4th (should have been at least 2nd). Luigs beat Ervin 4-0.  These two have split matches the last few years. Ervin won state

138 Sellmer finished 5tgh and Conley 6th.  Conley got beat by Sheffer (KY state champ 7-1) and Sellmer got beat by KRaeszig (KY runner up) 8-5. IN State Champ beat Conley 7-1 as well.  Sellmer got beat by the runner up 3-1.

182- Buckman was the KY favorite and finsihed 3rd.  He pinned Moore from Franklin and Moore finished 6th.  

example where Kentucky isnt nearly as strong as us at 195

220- Kulmer from KY got 3rd. Kulmer was pinned by SQ Philpot and beat by regional qualifier from Mount Vernon.  

The really funny thing is Illinois feels the same about Indiana wrestling vs their champs, but from what I saw this weekend the Indiana boys would hold their own.

Yeah it's the big brother concept.  Illinois is bigger and better than Indiana but Indiana will sneak a few punches in.  Same goes for Indiana versus Kentucky.  

Lucky for Indiana they can/should win at least 3 matches against any state with Lee, Lee, and Parris that can give them anywhere from 9 points to 18 points.

Edited by navy80

No offense to a solid senior class, but I'd like to see our top Juniors in a Dual against any other junior groups in the Mid-west. Sure wish Scholastic Duals were more of a priority trip for our nearby states.

Just a tad bit of info from last years scholastic duals.

Curtis beat Yost(ky state champ who finished 3rd this year)3-1

Asa beat Cagan Wallace7-6

Mulkey majored Brady Wells

Nathan Conley beat Joey Roberts 5-4

Black pinned Zane Brown 3:07

Gray lost in ot to Casey Cornett 7-5

Andreoni majored Ruberg13-3

Dull pinned Buckman(3rd place at state) :59

I know it was almost a year ago and they all progress, just putting this out as a little gauge.

Indiana vs Kentucky dual under the lights our champs blank them. Up and down the line all 8 of ours vs all 8 of theirs I'll give them 3 matches. Champs vs champs they are going home empty handed I wrestled with several KY champs in college 3-4 yrs ago and they weren't on the same level as the 4th 5th place Indiana guys

Indiana vs Kentucky dual under the lights our champs blank them. Up and down the line all 8 of ours vs all 8 of theirs I'll give them 3 matches. Champs vs champs they are going home empty handed I wrestled with several KY champs in college 3-4 yrs ago and they weren't on the same level as the 4th 5th place Indiana guys

To say ky champs are no where near the level of some of our guys is straight up garbage.

Just a tad bit of info from last years scholastic duals.

Curtis beat Yost(ky state champ who finished 3rd this year)3-1

Asa beat Cagan Wallace7-6

Mulkey majored Brady Wells

Nathan Conley beat Joey Roberts 5-4

Black pinned Zane Brown 3:07

Gray lost in ot to Casey Cornett 7-5

Andreoni majored Ruberg13-3

Dull pinned Buckman(3rd place at state) :59

I know it was almost a year ago and they all progress, just putting this out as a little gauge.

Jaden Sonner who lost in the ticket round while being undefeated Also beat Buckman this year 6-3 and controlled the whole match in the finals of the Mater Dei Classic. Moore got pinned by Buckman in the semis and finished 3rd. Moore gets 6th in state and Sonner doesn't make it lol. Wrestlebacks would make things so much more accurate when it comes to who the best are.

Why are we comparing ourselves to Kentucky? If we want a real gauge we need to beat the best from Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.

Yes! How do you get better??? Wrestle against the best and learn. We have wrestlers that can win against these schools now. Over all we still need more depth. Let's keep working together and climb the ladder to the top.

Edited by takemtothemat

Why are we comparing ourselves to Kentucky? If we want a real gauge we need to beat the best from Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.

It was just a topic that is normally brought up. Put the other champs on here as well. I too would like to see it.

B/C Ky is a state like Indiana that gets it, one class one champ. Jesus we'd be on here forever comparing the 18 classes in all those other states.

During the first session at Indy Nationals (Peewee-Intermediate) Illinois and Ohio were beating some of our best kids out from the top of the podium. In some cases, the top three spots.  I saw a few brackets from Novice that looked similar.  Indiana is definitely getting stronger, but we have a ways to go.

Because we have so much comparable data. It's easy to compare us with Kentucky. With other states, it's pure hypothetical.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.