bailey vs luigs....luck of the irsh? 132/138?

formercollegekid

The over time that should have been? ?

I always hate when there are time keeping issues in big matches...the zebras put a few seconds back on the board (8) but a lot of the people sitting around me thought it should have been more (11)...any thoughts?

Well as I write this it looks like Cathedral got a gift at 132 and highway robbery at 138....that match was stolen from melloh!

Would have liked to see overtime for both matches but at least the Luigs takedown was close enough to the buzzer that it was still a 50/50 call.

On the other hand, Melloh should have no doubt been awarded at least two and shouldn't have lost in regulation.

Would have liked to see overtime for both matches but at least the Luigs takedown was close enough to the buzzer that it was still a 50/50 call.

On the other hand, Melloh should have no doubt been awarded at least two and shouldn't have lost in regulation.

Total fail by timekeeper didn't help the ref here.

Edited by mtv2112

Just re-watched the Rumph - Melloh match.  No doubt there should have been a take down for Melloh at :02.   If :02 are required to get 2 back pts, then I have no problem if he gets none.  But I have zero doubt there should have been overtime.  90% sure of the same in the Bailey - Luigs match.

Tough judgement calls both ways. Seems like for cathedral the calls evened out. At the time I really felt like both calls were incorrect. I would have rather seen both matches go into overtime and each wrestler earn it one last time. In overtime I think the outcomes would have been the same as the original outcomes. Bailey pulls it out for in overtime and rumph, who seemed to be better on his feet pulls out the overtime win. As a fan I really appreciate these young men leaving it all on the mat!

On a side not, I think the original toss by melloh could have been awarded a takedown and 2 count for nearfal, but that was from my angle.

Edited by JoeCoffey

The track wrestling time was showing 2 seconds more than the official time. It was that way in most marches all weekend. I was watching the time because both the wrestlers and the clock were in a direct line on sight from where I was sitting. There were 6 seconds on the clock when they went out. Then they re-set the clock to 8 seconds, to match the track wrestling click, so he actually got more time back than he should have. Therefore, no takedown.But great match.

Oh and Melloh got robbed. The first takedown was iffy, but the second one was a takedown and NF.

The track wrestling time was showing 2 seconds more than the official time. It was that way in most marches all weekend. I was watching the time because both the wrestlers and the clock were in a direct line on sight from where I was sitting. There were 6 seconds on the clock when they went out. Then they re-set the clock to 8 seconds, to match the track wrestling click, so he actually got more time back than he should have. Therefore, no takedown.But great match.

Oh and Melloh got robbed. The first takedown was iffy, but the second one was a takedown and NF.

So there was a :02 differential on the Luigs/Bailey match, but not the Melloh/Rumph match?  

Strange, but the TW clocks we saw on the broadcast exactly matched when the horn sounded and when the guy with the towel (or whatever that was) tapped the referee every time on all matches all day.  So not sure how we can magically have a :02 differential.  If that were the case, those of us at home would be scratching our head every time a period ended :02 early.  And the TW clock showed :08 when they went out of bounds.  Since each period started exactly on the clock on my screen, I'd have to think it is pretty reliable to think that :08 was correct.  

And if that were the case, there would be several last second scores that would be in question. 

Not buying it

I'm pretty unbiased (no skin in the game) for the Bailey/Luigs match and was actually rooting for Rumph v. Melloh.  Still, they both looked like overtime matches to me.  Takedowns to tie both happened at the end of regulation.  What is the second ref doing?  Seems like these were instances where he could have been of assistance....  Exciting to watch regardless and a great effort from all 4 wrestlers.

I'm pretty sure this magical two second delay is what people could see watching it live and then looking at the trackwrestling feed on the scoreboard. And there is normally a delay between live and a broadcast. However, there would be no delay on the broadcast between the clock and the video as noted by hook so I suspect the 2 seconds is real. I also suspect over 50% of the general public won't understand.

It's a similar lack of understanding as this great movie quote illustrates "but it goes to eleven"

Tough judgement calls both ways. Seems like for cathedral the calls evened out. At the time I really felt like both calls were incorrect. I would have rather seen both matches go into overtime and each wrestler earn it one last time. In overtime I think the outcomes would have been the same as the original outcomes. Bailey pulls it out for in overtime and rumph, who seemed to be better on his feet pulls out the overtime win. As a fan I really appreciate these young men leaving it all on the mat!

On a side not, I think the original toss by melloh could have been awarded a takedown and 2 count for nearfal, but that was from my angle.

I tend to disagree Bailey pulls it out in OT. MD kid was much fresher and was really attacking the legs well at the end of the match.

Swinfan- no there was a difference in time in both matches. The difference between the 2 matches is that they had to reset the official clock in the bailey match and not in the melloh match. So, the melloh match ran on the official clock and when the horn sounded, it was over. In the bailey match, when they reset the official clock, they reset it to match the track wrestling clock, which was 2 seconds slower. Which means that Lugis got 2 extra seconds to score than he actually should have had. Which means the match should have already been over before the takedown happened.The official time on the score clock and the track wrestling clock you see on the computer and on the Megatron screen are run separately by 2 different people. The track time is used as a back up, incase the official time keeper doesn't hear a whistle or forgets to stop the clock, which is what happened in the bailey match. So when the official clock didn't stop in time, they reset it to match the track clock, which was running 2 seconds behind the official clock, in turn giving Kyle an addition 2 seconds to score. IE no takedown. IE no magic involved.

Edited by nosoccermomhere

As far as Breyden's match I felt by the time Luigs had any control the time was out. Now of course my opinions are biased. But as far as Melloh's match... worst call I've ever seen. It passed 2012's Conor James vs Blake Rypel at Connersville. Not only once, but twice. The last takedown I looked at the clock & saw 2 seconds while he was on his back. So Rumph was probably head locked to his back at 4 seconds. Aside of that call, Zach should've been awarded 5 points for the head whip 20 seconds before that call. Rumph couldn't even move for OVER 5 seconds! What more evidence do you want of someone having control? The whole situation was very unfortunate considering how hard Melloh works. Only positive I could come out of it was, is that he has another chance to win next year. Nice job to all The Irish wrestlers this past weekend.

Swinfan- no there was a difference in time in both matches. The difference between the 2 matches is that they had to reset the official clock in the bailey match and not in the melloh match. So, the melloh match ran on the official clock and when the horn sounded, it was over. In the bailey match, when they reset the official clock, they reset it to match the track wrestling clock, which was 2 seconds slower. Which means that Lugis got 2 extra seconds to score than he actually should have had. Which means the match should have already been over before the takedown happened.The official time on the score clock and the track wrestling clock you see on the computer and on the Megatron screen are run separately by 2 different people. The track time is used as a back up, incase the official time keeper doesn't hear a whistle or forgets to stop the clock, which is what happened in the bailey match. So when the official clock didn't stop in time, they reset it to match the track clock, which was running 2 seconds behind the official clock, in turn giving Kyle an addition 2 seconds to score. IE no takedown. IE no magic involved.

Then why, when listening to all the matches, when the TW clock hit zero, the buzzer in the arena sounded and the referee blew the whistle?  I must be missing something.

Worst call I've seen in the past 10 years. At least take Luigs out to dinner before you screw him.

Luigis is a really good wrestler. He is also a really good kid..

He got a gift at Evansville not getting called pinned in the center of mat and flopped on his back out of bounds in the Noah Franklin match..

That was the worst no call I have seen in the last 15years , when the referee is looking at Luigis's back and then looks to the crowd that says he is trying to make a decision instead of calling what he sees..

Bailey and Luigis was very close , the referee made the call and was in position, he did not waver .. Great match by two good kids..

I don't know if this helps or not but the only matches I got to see was the streamer on the ihsaatv.org site or something like that. But I quickly noticed a difference in the clock and when the whistle blew and the ref stopped the match. Their was several close calls that the ref stopped the match and I'm like but their is still 2 seconds left on the clock. I was going crazy but I knew the clock had to be off by 2 seconds. It's the only thing that made sense. It made every close call seem alot closer for me lol.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.