4 OVER 1'S

navy80

It usually happens every year right?  There will be shocking upsets tonight and some bracket busters!  I think we will see AT LEAST five 4 over 1's tonight! Whats the record?

Herring 36-3 over Lowery 44-2

Stephenson 32-10 over Hickman 42-4 (strong senior over freshman)

Mattingly 27-5 over Curtis 39-0 (Curtis is the fav to win 106 but he has to beat a tough Greyhound first)

Egli 29-9 over Viduya 43-2 (just because it's Mater Dei)

Stehpenson 37-7 over Triana 39-3

DeMien 27-7 over Mejia 39-2

Sullivan 29-9 over Freije 37-7 (Freijie had a remarkable semi state but he shouldnt overlook Sullivan)

Lee 26-5 over Gimson 47-2  (Lee didn't impress me at Eville but he is a Lee and I have a feeling MD is going to bring it tonight!)

Dembowsku 26-8 over Slivka 37-3

Franklin 40-4 over Hunt 39-2 (tough senior wants to go out as a medalist)

?

Wathen 43-7 over Welliever 40-0 (reaching here but Wathen is no slouch)

Traficanti 23-5 over Winner 36-2 

?

Miller 35-13 over Lemley 24-2 (Miller is no stranger to upsets)

Adkins 28-8 over Laughlin 42-1 (Adkins wrestles hard and goes after it..impressed me at EVille)

Hays 29-11 over Swank 33-3 (never doubt Center Grove and Jonah Hayes!)

Hendrich 33-7 over Davison 38-0 (Hendrich beat Sonner who was 42-0 at semi state...depends on which Hendrich hsows up)

Nix 39-5 over Jessop 24-2 (lots of talk about Jessop but Nix is no one to overlook)

?

Scroggs 41-4 over Parris 49-0 (very slim  .05% chance this would happen but Scroggs is one of two 220lbers who could possible have a decent match with PArris)

?

Edited by navy80

132 is the only one I might go with, but the rest I'm not so sure about. I know it happens a few times each year but because I'm sure 1's have historically won 90+% of the time it's always hard. Davison' s loss last year was a big shock to me, though the young man that beat him made a great run. I could probably start a thread, but what are some big 4-1 shockers you remember? For me, Sinkovics was a biggie and my all timer is 50-0ish Eric Keith, dude was awesome, that loss left my jaw wide open.

285 - Sutton over Ellis

yeah I forgot that one..

132 is the only one I might go with, but the rest I'm not so sure about. I know it happens a few times each year but because I'm sure 1's have historically won 90+% of the time it's always hard. Davison' s loss last year was a big shock to me, though the young man that beat him made a great run. I could probably start a thread, but what are some big 4-1 shockers you remember? For me, Sinkovics was a biggie and my all timer is 50-0ish Eric Keith, dude was awesome, that loss left my jaw wide open.

Sink got beat by Mater Dei's Johnson right?  And do tell about Keith?  He was 50-0 and got beat friday night?

I don't see an 8-loss wrestler beating the top ranked kid at 160...but I guess stranger things have happened...

I don't either but you never know lol

Don't remember who beat Sinkovics, but he like Eric Keith was pinned. Keith was a junior, 50-0 and had beaten everyone in his path, I had him as my pick to win it, I think he was at 130 that year, his junior year. Got spladled and we all got to see what is in my opinion the greatest 4-1 upset. If it's any consolation, Keith won it the next year at 140 and did go undefeated. Not to bring up horrible wounds for Keith, but I think he lost as a #1 twice, could be wrong, but in my defense it was 17 years ago.

1992 - McDaniel from Warren Central beat undefeated Tim Nosko from MD on Friday night with spladle.  Tim beat the kid that finished 3rd that year probably 5x.  In my mind Tim was at least the 2nd best 125 that year.  It was a tough loss.

I think 5 is unlikely (or mathematically speaking improbable).  But your list is so long you might get the ones that do happen....  I'd argue that several on your list are HIGHLY unlikely, though that could be said for any 4 over 1.  Otherwise it wouldn't surprise us :o ! None of the 4's should be overlooked by anyone! I'm looking forward to tonight!!!

I think 5 is unlikely (or mathematically speaking improbable).  But your list is so long you might get the ones that do happen....  I'd argue that several on your list are HIGHLY unlikely, though that could be said for any 4 over 1.  Otherwise it wouldn't surprise us :o ! None of the 4's should be overlooked by anyone! I'm looking forward to tonight!!!

But, no one predicted Davison would get beat last year on Friday night right?  Yeah some I went out on a limb for lol

But, no one predicted Davison would get beat last year on Friday night right?  Yeah some I went out on a limb for lol

I think that was my point.  They are a surprise because nobody really sees them coming (even if one of us posts some 'long shot' upset on the message board).  I guess IF you pick the one that happens you can say "I told you so."  I think the only person that truly needs to believe a 4 can beat a 1 is the 4 seed. If the #4 kid who steps on the mat believes- WATCH OUT!

Edited by MOWrestler

I think that was my point.  They are a surprise because nobody really sees them coming (even if one of us posts some 'long shot' upset on the message board).  I guess IF you pick the one that happens you can say "I told you so."  I think the only person that truly needs to believe a 4 can beat a 1 is the 4 seed. If the #4 kid who steps on the mat believes- WATCH OUT!

I gotcha now...I mean, I pretty almost every "likely" scenario for a 4 over 1 so technically I can say "I told you so" right?  lol jk...

Don't remember who beat Sinkovics, but he like Eric Keith was pinned. Keith was a junior, 50-0 and had beaten everyone in his path, I had him as my pick to win it, I think he was at 130 that year, his junior year. Got spladled and we all got to see what is in my opinion the greatest 4-1 upset. If it's any consolation, Keith won it the next year at 140 and did go undefeated. Not to bring up horrible wounds for Keith, but I think he lost as a #1 twice, could be wrong, but in my defense it was 17 years ago.

Alex Johnson EMD

I don't see an 8-loss wrestler beating the top ranked kid at 160...but I guess stranger things have happened...

It's possible, I guess. Gee has 9 losses and knocked off No. 3 and No. 4 last week. The two weeks before that he lost to undefeated Bane 1-0 both times.

Danny Williams, but not really a 4. Beat undefeated Justin Mora on Friday on a questionable call. That should have been title match had Williams not defaulted the previous week.

Terrell Coatie of New Castle beat Williams and runner up Conkling that year but was beaten in a war in the qtrs to Tim Ortiz of Belmont who was nails as well..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.