ISWA Coaching requirements

mauneja

Can anyone explain why the ISWA is requiring a background check and U.S.A. membership card along with the copper card this year? It seems they are looking for new avenues to make money off coaches and parents who are already spending money on hotels that weekend and now get this thrown in their lap.

As for the background check, the ISWA wants the people coaching the wrestlers are not people who would harm them.  IHSAA officials are required to go through a background check every year when they renew their licenses.  As for the USA membership & copper card, someone in the ISWA can answer that.  

I understand that but as a school coach I have already went through a background check and am now forced to pay for another when we were just at IHSWCA last weekend and they require none of the above but still run a smooth tournament.

I agree 100% with the ISWA on this.

It will help in the long run with increasing the kids safety as well as the general awareness of current wrestling rules and best practices with the helper coaches and crazy dads on the floor.

It always amazes me how firmly some coaches (that last wrestled 30 years ago) believe that a move is still fine that is now illegal or potentially dangerous.

Just for example the "Figure Four on a limb or around the body " compared to "Scissors on a limb or around the body" ... the rules have changed a couple times. It is completely changed depending when you last competed. Kids today might even be surprised to know that we used to be able to run arm bar and wrist and finish with a figure four around the head as tight as needed.

Edited by Mat Shark

Can anyone explain why the ISWA is requiring a background check and U.S.A. membership card along with the copper card this year? It seems they are looking for new avenues to make money off coaches and parents who are already spending money on hotels that weekend and now get this thrown in their lap.

The ISWA is not the one to blame for this.  USAWrestling requires a background check in order to get a membership card, and has for several years now.  As worthmatt stated, it is purely a safety issue for the kids.  The background check should be good for 2 years.  The ISWA does not receive any money from the background checks.

The ISWA is not the one to blame for this.  USAWrestling requires a background check in order to get a membership card, and has for several years now.  As worthmatt stated, it is purely a safety issue for the kids.  The background check should be good for 2 years.  The ISWA does not receive any money from the background checks.

This is 100% accurate.  If you think about it beyond the safety of the athletes and security issues, the ISWA will actually make less money this year due to the people obtaining the USA coaches card, copper card and background now not having to pay admission to get into state events. 

Everyone always wants to take a minute to think the mean nasty ISWA is always doing something to make things harder or worse for their personal situation or the kids to benefit the ISWA but maybe just maybe this is not always the case and its really for protection & benefit of the kids.

Please obtain the coaches card, background check and do the copper certification so that you will not be kept out of the corner of your wrestlers......ISWA thanks you all in advance.

I have a copper card from a few years back! Will I also have to do the Copper Certification as well with the background check or just the background check?

If you have your copper card already, then you just need a USAW Coaches membership and background check.

I understand that but as a school coach I have already went through a background check and am now forced to pay for another when we were just at IHSWCA last weekend and they require none of the above but still run a smooth tournament.

We did not require a background check last weekend because most (if not all) of the people coaching individual wrestlers were either parents (do they need a background check to coach their own kid??) or Middle School coaches who have been background checked by their school's prior to employment.  In terms of ISWA State events I would assume to pool of coaches might not be as vetted.

I have a copper card from a few years back! Will I also have to do the Copper Certification as well with the background check or just the background check?

gogoplata89 is correct however............you will need to make sure the copper card is associated with the USA coaches card you are obtaining.  If you need help in doing this you can always call the ISWA office (317-780-1885) and the ladies there can help direct you on making this happen.

They should have done this years ago. However, I'm sure there will still be coaches that sneak beyond the ropes to coach their kids.

looks like my new profile picture has softened you up to actually agree with me on a topic...........we may become good friends some day ????

gogoplata89 is correct however............you will need to make sure the copper card is associated with the USA coaches card you are obtaining.  If you need help in doing this you can always call the ISWA office (317-780-1885) and the ladies there can help direct you on making this happen.

Thanks for your help! I will get in touch with them soon.

Wait they outlawed the triangle choke???????  Just kidding!! 

I for one appreciate the back ground checks and any and all precautions to protect the youth, There are predators everywhere. Let's be honest not all background check companies are as thorough as they should be. The certifications copper or bronze is a great idea as well. My years around wrestling "and there has been a lot" I've witness some unbelievable action from Dad coaches as well as other high school coaches. You scratch your head and think wow. At least everyone is being exposed to some training.

Wait they outlawed the triangle choke???????  Just kidding!! 

I for one appreciate the back ground checks and any and all precautions to protect the youth, There are predators everywhere. Let's be honest not all background check companies are as thorough as they should be. The certifications copper or bronze is a great idea as well. My years around wrestling "and there has been a lot" I've witness some unbelievable action from Dad coaches as well as other high school coaches. You scratch your head and think wow. At least everyone is being exposed to some training.

The copper class is a joke, just say you won't beat kids, use a taser, or tell them they worthless scum and you pass. The bronze class can be good if you have a good group of classmates and a good instructor.

they must not be thorough background checks if I pass

Haha Thanks for supporting my point. 

The copper class is a joke, just say you won't beat kids, use a taser, or tell them they worthless scum and you pass. The bronze class can be good if you have a good group of classmates and a good instructor.

I can't attest either way in regards to the copper class. But, anything that can be done to help our sport i'm for it.

We did not require a background check last weekend because most (if not all) of the people coaching individual wrestlers were either parents (do they need a background check to coach their own kid??) or Middle School coaches who have been background checked by their school's prior to employment. In terms of ISWA State events I would assume to pool of coaches might not be as vetted.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.