State Alternates

yogihof

This is always something that interests me each season.

*First, anyone know of any alternate who will be wrestling Friday Night?

*Second, can anyone recall any alternates to the State Finals who have turned it around and medaled?

How do alternates for state work? Do they get called prior to Friday night or just show up at weigh ins praying to the food gods that someone missed weight?

If it's a pre-existing issue that is elimination the wrestler from competing then his school is suppose to contact the proper people. If it's a day of miss weight issue then the alternate would just need to show up that evening and hope.

I'm told the kid and the coach are to wait at the contestants entrance. If a kid misses weight, the alternate and coach get the "Golden Ticket" and can enter to weigh in. Still can't understand why the IHSAA won't at least admit the Alternate and Coach comp.

I'm told the kid and the coach are to wait at the contestants entrance. If a kid misses weight, the alternate and coach get the "Golden Ticket" and can enter to weigh in. Still can't understand why the IHSAA won't at least admit the Alternate and Coach comp.

They've even changed the rules to where if your wrestler does not place only the wrestler and one coach get admitted for Saturday. The second coach and manager must buy a ticket. 

They've even changed the rules to where if your wrestler does not place only the wrestler and one coach get admitted for Saturday. The second coach and manager must buy a ticket. 

They will have 112 wrestlers and probably 50 coaches lining up at 7am to get tickets. On top of that now we will potentially lose some warm up partners for our kids.

They will have 112 wrestlers and probably 50 coaches lining up at 7am to get tickets. On top of that now we will potentially lose some warm up partners for our kids.

This is a classless way to do business on the part of the IHSAA.  That is about as simple as I can put it and not be in danger of being banned from this site.

This is a classless way to do business on the part of the IHSAA.  That is about as simple as I can put it and not be in danger of being banned from this site.

I totally agree!!!  Is this something the Coaches Association recommends or do does bringing this up just make us look like the whiny wrestling coaches?  Would bringing this up hold us back on other requests?

And most of their sports lose money at their state tournaments. Wrestling is one of only a few sports that actually make a profit for the IHSAA.

Really? I would think most, if not all, make money in the finals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.