Definition of a "lock"

vito pepperelli

If placing a friendly wager and your only options were one wrestler or "the field."  

If you're willing to take the one wrestler over the 15, that's a lock IMO. 

Would enjoy reading other thoughts on what their definition of a lock is and who their locks are this weekend.

MattM, the post clearly asked for a definition, not a picture.  Please follow directions and make sure to write in complete sentences. 

Wrestling Scholar posted a clear definition above.  I figured I'd help the visual learners out too.

Edited by MattM

I've always assumed the definition of a "lock" is somebody that, avoiding injury or illness, has virtually no shot at losing their bracket. Parris and Brayton are the only two that I absolutely cannot fathom losing this weekend assuming they're both at full health.

I've always assumed the definition of a "lock" is somebody that, avoiding injury or illness, has virtually no shot at losing their bracket. Parris and Brayton are the only two that I absolutely cannot fathom losing this weekend assuming they're both at full health.

Joe Lee?  I agree with RegionRoyalty's list, but it's a tough call between Davison and the field when the field includes Stewart and Tonte.   

I agree, I am sure Davison is good, but there is no way I would say he is a lock.  There is a lot of talent in that weight class! Plus, the Friday night upset last year would worry me too much to bet the farm.

Injuries aside, I don't see anyone coming close to Parris.  The way he manhandled McClane(who is a very good wrestler) was crazy!  Brayton Lee would be a distant second when it comes to confidence.  I think he is going to win, but I don't see him dominating the field like Parris.

Appropriately, Merriam-Webster also defines lock as "a hold in wrestling secured on one part of the body."

That said, if we are going with Vito's initial definition, I would go with Braydon Lee, Joe Lee, and Parris.

I probably wouldn't give the lock status to a 3rd ranked wrestler.

Per Websters

a mechanism for keeping a door, lid, etc., fastened, typically operated only by a key of a particular form:

That's not even the first definition Webster has listed:

1:  a tuft, tress, or ringlet of hair

I think in this instance, we're looking for:

4:  one that is assured of success or favorable outcome

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/lock

Edited by Forrester

Joe Lee?  I agree with RegionRoyalty's list, but it's a tough call between Davison and the field when the field includes Stewart and Tonte.   

Sleeping on Shaffer at 195 are we?  He did major Wilderman last week (15-4) who beat Tonte at Team State in 2016.  Just sayin'. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.