Who do you want in your corner Friday Night?

IndianaMudflap

You can make a pretty strong argument that the academies have ruined local clubs and getting new wrestlers into the sport.

Ruined it?  I believe Hendricks county is reaping the benefits of the several academies in their area.  I think the HS coaches need to remove their egos  and understand that their kids only get better when they are in a room with better kids. 

Ruined it?  I believe Hendricks county is reaping the benefits of the several academies in their area.  I think the HS coaches need to remove their egos  and understand that their kids only get better when they are in a room with better kids. 

Many local clubs have been decimated because most of their kids are at academies instead of the local club. Then they shut their doors and there is no where for the beginners to start unless they want to get a baptism by fire at a local academy. 

The academies are great for your top level kids, but the beginners and others that aren't that level don't benefit as much. Kids that can't afford the academies are also hurt when they don't have a local club to attend either.

Sometimes we tend to forget about the kids that aren't the top ones in our room.

his comment is dripping with cold medicine induced jealousy up in the corner of the state which has no academy benefit.

How's Cascade, Plainfield, Danville, and Tri-West doing with the academy nearby?

Y2, those schools don't benefit from the academy because the kids choose to go to Avon and Brownsburg as freshmen. 

Many local clubs have been decimated because most of their kids are at academies instead of the local club. Then they shut their doors and there is no where for the beginners to start unless they want to get a baptism by fire at a local academy. 

The academies are great for your top level kids, but the beginners and others that aren't that level don't benefit as much. Kids that can't afford the academies are also hurt when they don't have a local club to attend either.

Sometimes we tend to forget about the kids that aren't the top ones in our room.

I understand your argument because we deal with the same problems.  I think the challenge for every coach is how to teach at all levels.  Obviously, you need to get top level kids in your room to keep your own kids engaged in the local club, first.  Then, you have a program, that is still open, to teach the beginners as well. 

OR, you simply push your HS kids to the academies, and focus on the elementary and middle schools clubs.  I think it has to start there anyway.

How's Cascade, Plainfield, Danville, and Tri-West doing with the academy nearby?

now not great, but I would look for Plainfield, Danville & cascade to be decent and have some studs in the next 3-6 years as lots of youth kids in CWA room right now from all these 3....thanks for asking to solidify my point

Y2, those schools don't benefit from the academy because the kids choose to go to Avon and Brownsburg as freshmen. 

This comment is just salty and wrong and if he would ever put in the addition of the "dislike" button it would likely warrant a few of those.  not sure who you are but we don't hate you buddy.

now not great, but I would look for Plainfield, Danville & cascade to be decent and have some studs in the next 3-6 years as lots of youth kids in CWA room right now from all these 3....thanks for asking to solidify my point

This comment is just salty and wrong and if he would ever put in the addition of the "dislike" button it would likely warrant a few of those.  not sure who you are but we don't hate you buddy.

I am not knocking the practice at all.  This is the system the IHSAA has created.  I would probably do the same thing because both of these schools are strong academically also; and give my son the best for both opportunities. 

Btw, my name is David Kern.  I coach at North Central.  I will be coaching our 285 this weekend.  Come on down and say hello! 

Btw, my name is David Kern.  I coach at North Central.  I will be coaching our 285 this weekend.  Come on down and say hello! 

Well Coach Kern good luck to you and your wrestler this weekend, but unfortunately I can not get down on the floor to say hello (that is only a feat that TeamGarcia can pull off) but I will waive to you from my seat and cheer for your 285 (unless he is wrestling my guy slick rick from #TheCounty & #PainTrain).

Well Coach Kern good luck to you and your wrestler this weekend, but unfortunately I can not get down on the floor to say hello (that is only a feat that TeamGarcia can pull off) but I will waive to you from my seat and cheer for your 285 (unless he is wrestling my guy slick rick from #TheCounty & #PainTrain).

We may see him Saturday morning. 

I have a beginner in 5th grade.  He does our club and an academy because even though he's new, he's fallen in love with the sport.  

Neither the club nor the academy has been anything but a great experience...even if he (and his family) are as green as they come to the sport.  And the improvement that has come from having to bring his lunchpail to the academy every practice has been immense.  

Proud of #TheCounty and #PainTrain .  My kid might be the epitome of what building a program is about, because even if he never becomes "elite" or even wrestles at the high school...he's at least giving the sport a shot with really good valuable instruction and we will see what happens from here.  

He never expressed a desire to wrestle until after a year ago when we attended our first State Finals at BLF and watched 8 of "ours" compete in that great event.  From there, he wanted to give it a shot so he did with the high school club.  He quickly fell in love and wanted to supplement and "catch up" (his words) by also attending an academy.  He is fired up about representing his school club and his academy at every turn.  We are really fortunate because these are not mutually exclusive entities.  They build off each other if done well.  

Edited by Kookie953

In terms of coaching your wrestlers to peak at the right time; I have to consider David Maldonado as the best I have interacted with.  

Although Merrillville's wrestlers may not always be the most technically gifted when compared to others in the state (this may be in relation to the other subject in this thread), they are always amongst the fittest athletes you will wrestle against.

In addition, I have never seen a program which has so many wrestlers out-perform expectations. I always remember thinking that you can never let yourself be complacent when matched up with the Merrillville guy. You may have beat him by 12 early on in the season yet come tournament time you're finding yourself in a 5-3 match wondering how they've progressed so much over one season. Maybe this comes down to mental preparation as much as fitness.

Having grown up in the club wrestling system where you were at a different tournament every weekend you pretty well knew everyone that you were going to wrestle throughout the high school season; yet, Merrillville had that knack for always having a wildly successful wrestler come from seemingly out of nowhere. I think this is in large part due to David's influence.

So to answer the question; in wrestling where the guy who wins at the highest level is most often not the best wrestler but the best prepared wrestler, if pressed to pick one coach in my corner come Friday night, it is going to be Maldonado because I know he will have me prepared to wrestle at the peak of my potential at just the right time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.