Who do you want in your corner Friday Night?

IndianaMudflap

I don't have to attest to how good of a coach Kerrn is, I'm sure that's been established by now, but just something a little interesting. Since I've been attending the state finals, this weekend my seventh year, Jimtown has had three Friday night matches against kids they had lost to that season, and has won each of them. The Jimmies may not get a ton of kids to state each and every season(sitting pretty though), but the kids that do get there are definitely going to be prepared.

Muncie Southside - Tony Abbott 1996-2013

17-14 on Friday Night (54.8%) and 1 state champ in 17 years

Muncie Southside - John Smith

21 out of 44 placed during his tenure  (Not sure about Friday matches because he coached when they only placed top 6.)  2 state champs

Edited by AJ

Can anybody tell me about Al Morgan and Norm Willey?

Their stats are ridiculous, but I've never heard of either.  Any old-timers have any stories about these two?  Who did they coach for?

Al Morgan coached at Franklin Central and Warren Central. Won the state at Warren in 1980 and I believe was runner-up couple times at FC. Part of those years they only had 4 qualifiers per weight, so you made it, you medaled.

Al Morgan coached at Franklin Central and Warren Central. Won the state at Warren in 1980 and I believe was runner-up couple times at FC. Part of those years they only had 4 qualifiers per weight, so you made it, you medaled.

That explains why his placer to qualifier ratio is so ridiculous.

Mark Parris-Lawrenceburg. One the surface, may not seem to impressive but he has had a hand in training not only in the 3 from Lawrenceburg this year but many from EC as well. And the kids he has trained are just starting to come up through high school!

Mark Parris-Lawrenceburg. Not only has he had a hand in training the 3 qualifiers from Lawrenceburg but also many of the kids from neighboring schools as well... and the kids he has trained are just starting to come up through Hugh school.

I've heard Wrestling Academy owners mention how upset some head coaches become and complain about their wrestler training at the W.A. but then go on to say that eventually the head coaches will be the ones walking under the lights with their finalists sharing the glory on Saturday night.

Edited by Mat Shark

I've heard Wrestling Academy owners mention how upset some head coaches become and complain about their wrestler training at the W.A. but then go on to say that eventually the head coaches will be the ones walking under the lights with their finalists sharing the glory on Saturday night.

Which owners and which coaches?

How about Crown Point guys under Coach Vlink? 

According to the Northwest Indiana Times, "Vlink has 106 career state qualifiers, 47 medalists, eight runner-ups and nine state champions. His career record ends at 472-133." http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/columnists/steve-hanlon/steve-hanlon-vlink-s-legacy-leaves-you-flat-on-your/article_cbf5054a-8983-5db1-ba6e-0ff0d2c9bf86.html. That would be a 44% win percentage on Friday night. 

Which owners and which coaches?

I spoke to three W.A owners on different occasions throughout the state and they all have said that numerous kids get treated differently when they come back to their HS wrestling programs. Not sure about the other w.a's out there. It is no secret that most wrestling coaches have healthy egos.

Anyone close to HS programs and W.A know this goes on to some extent.

But it takes a village to raise a kid.

Indiana has plenty of caring coaches.

I spoke to three W.A owners on different occasions throughout the state and they all have said that numerous kids get treated differently when they come back to their HS wrestling programs. Not sure about the other w.a's out there. It is no secret that most wrestling coaches have healthy egos.

Anyone close to HS programs and W.A know this goes on to some extent.

But it takes a village to raise a kid.

Indiana has plenty of caring coaches.

You can make a pretty strong argument that the academies have ruined local clubs and getting new wrestlers into the sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.