Middle schoolers who could place

ontherise219

Didn't do anything to my butt.  I just think Jr. High is Jr. High and in a time when there's a lot of chest thumping and big egos...suggesting a 13 year old would place with 17-18 year olds, serves no good purpose.  I know a few high schoolers who got their priorities screwed up by reading their rankings too often.  Jr. High kids will have their day, but the less publicity at a young age, the better.  I feel the same about comparing High School wrestlers to Big Ten wrestlers.  Wait until they are in the college room and deserve/have earned that conversation.  Just my opinion, since you asked.  If Reiser and I were talking in person, it would be different, but saying on here that a JH kid is good enough to place in HS, when there are tons of hard working HS kids who lost in the ticket round or before...kinda slaps them in the face, as well as puffs up the JH kid unnecessarily.   

Great topic!  Kentucky always brings an 8th grader or two to the Mater Dei classic.  

Zeke Esclara 106 from Union County is an 8th grader and tech falled Mater Dei's Hinderliter 23-6 and majored Raymond Rioux from Avon 14-6

UC also brought 8th grader Payne Carr to the classic and he was pinned by Mater Dei's Matt Lee and then turned around and majored him 17-9 for 3rd.   

Zeke is 45-0 and is the favorite to win the title.  Payne is 37-5 and should place.

Back to the main question-

Looking at some champions and placers track accounts it looks like some have beat or lost a close one to several 106lbers who are at state this year.  Ben Dalton just won middle school state and has a previous win over Drake Campbell.  

Gavin Alstott who finished 2nd to Dalton, lost to Campbell 8-1 and Rioux 6-0.

Cole Ross (Bloomington) who won Middle School State has a loss against Brayden Littell by pin and a 7-6 decision loss to Owen Sego.

Blake Boarmen (Meter Dei) has a 14-7 loss to Alec Viduya. Has a 10-4 win over Brice Coleman. 6-4 and 9-1 win over Devin Casebolt.  8-1 loss to Asa Garcia when Asa was an 8th grader and Blake was a 6th grader.  

Noah Mis (Griffin) has a win over Drake Campbell in greco

The Jesse Mendez kid is an absolute beast for only a 7th grader.  What high school is he going to?  Possible 4Xer right there...

I think several 8th graders could compete at a high level and possibly punch their ticket to the state finals.  

First time all year OTR has disappointed me with a DUMB post. Middle schoolers are just that in Indiana, middle schoolers. They will have their glory on this page, but not today...there is a forum called youth and middle school designated just for them!!

Zeke seltzer defeated breydon lowery this past summer. Raymond rioux lost to a 8th grader from Kentucky. While rare in Indiana I don't think it's dumb to discuss.

Didn't do anything to my butt.  I just think Jr. High is Jr. High and in a time when there's a lot of chest thumping and big egos...suggesting a 13 year old would place with 17-18 year olds, serves no good purpose.  I know a few high schoolers who got their priorities screwed up by reading their rankings too often.  Jr. High kids will have their day, but the less publicity at a young age, the better.  I feel the same about comparing High School wrestlers to Big Ten wrestlers.  Wait until they are in the college room and deserve/have earned that conversation.  Just my opinion, since you asked.  If Reiser and I were talking in person, it would be different, but saying on here that a JH kid is good enough to place in HS, when there are tons of hard working HS kids who lost in the ticket round or before...kinda slaps them in the face, as well as puffs up the JH kid unnecessarily.

I think of all the post taken down or locked this weekto

Say this is a slap in the face is kinda crazy. I think most of. These kids compete against each other so they have a good idea of how these matches go. To suggest that there isn't middle school wrestler who can place in Indiana is small

Minded. State uses to be a junior/senior goal. That is small thinking. It is a hypothetical if kids who lost in the ticket round are offended by this I apologize. I like the debate of the question domyku doubt greats like tsirtsis Mauer red Escobedo nick lee could have placed as middle school Wrestlers? I believe they could have And would have

First time all year OTR has disappointed me with a DUMB post.  Middle schoolers are just that in Indiana, middle schoolers.  They will have their glory on this page, but not today...there is a forum called youth and middle school designated just for them!!

Who cares... If you don't like the post just move on.  It's not totally unrelated and can be an interesting discussion. 

Great topic!  Kentucky always brings an 8th grader or two to the Mater Dei classic.  

Zeke Esclara 106 from Union County is an 8th grader and tech falled Mater Dei's Hinderliter 23-6 and majored Raymond Rioux from Avon 14-6

UC also brought 8th grader Payne Carr to the classic and he was pinned by Mater Dei's Matt Lee and then turned around and majored him 17-9 for 3rd.   

Zeke is 45-0 and is the favorite to win the title.  Payne is 37-5 and should place.

Back to the main question-

Looking at some champions and placers track accounts it looks like some have beat or lost a close one to several 106lbers who are at state this year.  Ben Dalton just won middle school state and has a previous win over Drake Campbell.  

Gavin Alstott who finished 2nd to Dalton, lost to Campbell 8-1 and Rioux 6-0.

Cole Ross (Bloomington) who won Middle School State has a loss against Brayden Littell by pin and a 7-6 decision loss to Owen Sego.

Blake Boarmen (Meter Dei) has a 14-7 loss to Alec Viduya. Has a 10-4 win over Brice Coleman. 6-4 and 9-1 win over Devin Casebolt.  8-1 loss to Asa Garcia when Asa was an 8th grader and Blake was a 6th grader.  

Noah Mis (Griffin) has a win over Drake Campbell in greco

The Jesse Mendez kid is an absolute beast for only a 7th grader.  What high school is he going to?  Possible 4Xer right there...

I think several 8th graders could compete at a high level and possibly punch their ticket to the state finals.  

This dude would probably could possibly win state in Indiana as an 8th grader. 

Edited by IWFTKWC11

Mendez won the high school division in Michigan earlier this year at a weight lower than 106. He has another year to grow and get stronger, he does do weight room work a few times a week with the LC coach, so I'd say in 2 years he's more than likely a 113 pounder. While a title is absolutely in reach at 113, I think its a bit more difficult than at 106 where he's likely to wrestle other freshman. Just looking at recent history, kids like Pebble, Cummings, and Garcia occupied 113 at sophomores or above, all of whom would give Mendez fits. I know Jesse well and can assure you, him reading this would do nothing to his ego. The kid is humble and well grounded, if it wasn't for his entire wardrobe being comprised of wrestling shirts, you wouldn't even know he wrestled because he never brings it up. 

I think both sides of this 'disagreement' about whether this is a 'good post' or not; or if it belongs in this forum or another one have some credibility.  Everything on these forums represent someone's OPINION. Feel free not to 'click' and open it if you think it doesn't belong here.... I will say at least it is talking about positive attributes of wrestlers.  Noticing someone's potential does not take away from the accomplishments of others.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.