SS Wrestler of the day

grappleapple

At New Castle I'd give this title to Mason Parris. He made very good wrestlers look completely outclassed. He did whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. Takedown, cut - takedown pin. It was that easy for him. He's just on another level.

My second place vote would have to go to Shenandoah's Josh Gee. Gee didn't win the final match, but for an unranked kid that's never been to state to knock out the No. 3 and the No. 4 ranked guys in his weight class, in order - was impressive.

This was my first time seeing Alec Viduya as well. That kid is a beast.

At Evansville- 170lb Stock beating Vanhorn in the finals for the 2nd time in 3 weeks.

He's definitely very good and a tough matchup for Burk. 

I'd throw the Rooks brothers from Columbus East into the mix.  At 120 Cayden Rooks beat Ty Mills in the semi-finals and Mosconi of Indian Creek in the finals.  At 126 Graham took out Blake Mulkey of Brownsburg in the semi finals and beat Noah Hunt of Bloomington South (Who beat Matt Lee of EMD in the semi-finals). 

Columbus East had a great day in Evansville and a fantastic semi-final round.

My vote for EC SS would have to be Michael DeLaPena.  Knocking off Cummings 8-3 in the semi's.  Plus, he dominated every other match.  Very aggressive and fun to watch.  Peaking at the right time I'd say.  (Obviously there were some other great performances @ EC, so feel free to throw out some others :) , DLP just gets my pick).

Brooks bros had a great day. But im also gonna throw Stock in for my vote. To beat a guy twice in three weeks who many called all year "unbeatable", on top of that he beat Micha Keller in rd 1 and then come back from 5-0 to beat Fuller was as good of a all around day as I saw.

Yeah when fuller was winning I wrote him in my bracket. Then has to scratch him out and put stock in there. It was a great match.

Stock beat four quality wrestlers...no match was easy.

Rooks bros at Evansville. Graham had lost to Blake Mulkey 4 times in the last 12 months, to boot nobody really gave Cayden a shot. Mills has spent the better part of 2 years as the #1 ranked wrestler in the state. 

Didn't they come from behind in the ticket round to win?

One of the coolest moments for me, from a fan's perspective - was in the ticket round between Ryan Surguy of Shenandoah and Riley White. I don't know if maybe I saw it wrong, or if track wrestling is wrong. But I was certain that White reversed Surguy with seven seconds to go in the ticket round to take the lead 5-4 - and then Surguy turned right around and reversed him at the buzzer to win 6-5. Track has the score 6-3 though. So maybe I just imagined all of the above.

One of the coolest moments for me, from a fan's perspective - was in the ticket round between Ryan Surguy of Shenandoah and Riley White. I don't know if maybe I saw it wrong, or if track wrestling is wrong. But I was certain that White reversed Surguy with seven seconds to go in the ticket round to take the lead 5-4 - and then Surguy turned right around and reversed him at the buzzer to win 6-5. Track has the score 6-3 though. So maybe I just imagined all of the above.

That sounds like Kaston vs Larimore 2005 275 Finals. 

I wasn't there but that makes it even better. 

Graham got a takedown with 1-2 seconds to go in 3rd period to win.  Don't recall seeing Cayden's match.

It was really sweet too. I didn't know what match to watch with such good action on the mats at the same time. Definitely had to be a whirlwind for the Rooks parents Columbus East coaches.

Cayden down 2-0 in the 3rd , had a reversal I think for +2 . Then cut Mills with about 30 seconds to go . Then a Takedown with seconds to go .

Graham was the same way down late with seconds to go then Takedown.

Both very good matches , so much going on at the time it was hard to focus on one match . Hats off to all 4 wrestlers. Worth the admission at the Ford Center !

Edited by TeamGarcia

That sounds like Kaston vs Larimore 2005 275 Finals. 

It was really sweet too. I didn't know what match to watch with such good action on the mats at the same time. Definitely had to be a whirlwind for the Rooks parents Columbus East coaches.

The Stock family was in the same boat as the Rooks clan at one point Saturday, I think it was semi-finals for both.  

One was wrestling on Mat 1 and at the same time the other on Mat 4.

Those families must have had some sore necks the next day.

Evansville had a lot of great performances, my top ones would be

1. Logan boe of Danville...4 seed over a 1 seed who was/is a ranked returning State qualifier. Followed by a pin in the ticket round and then a close match (3-1) with a tough avon kid...followed by another win for 3rd.

To put it all in perspective one kid from Danville scored more points than the entire Castle team who brought 13 kids.

2. Columbus east as a team...semi-final round was crazy...they just couldn't lose I was almost worried for B. Lee at 145 lol

3. Monrovia 170lb Stock beating Vanhorn in the finals for the 2nd time

**Honorable mention** goes to New Washington's Noah Franklin (just cuz it's my list)

--Newcastle--

1. Perry Meridians B. Lowery at 106...what a day talk about beating some ranked kids..and beating some kids that had beat you.

Brooks bros had a great day. But im also gonna throw Stock in for my vote. To beat a guy twice in three weeks who many called all year "unbeatable", on top of that he beat Micha Keller in rd 1 and then come back from 5-0 to beat Fuller was as good of a all around day as I saw.

Who said that VanHorn was unbeatable?

Who said that VanHorn was unbeatable?

Ive been in conversation with plenty of coaches who believed that, and have seen it said on several twitter threads and other social media threads

are you really expecting exact names like your gonna nod when reading and say to yourself, oh he did, wow. ?

Ive been in conversation with plenty of coaches who believed that, and have seen it said on several twitter threads and other social media threads

are you really expecting exact names like your gonna nod when reading and say to yourself, oh he did, wow. ?

You must talk to a lot of Franklin fans. Most anyone with any knowledge of the weight knows it's probably the most wide open in the state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.