Quality over Quantity

MOWrestler

Congratulations to Chesterton and Hobart for an amazing performance @ EC SS. Chesterton won the Semi-State Team Title earning 6 spots at Bankers life (all 6 made the finals with 4 Champions)!!! 6/9 for a 67% qualifier rate. Hobart finished 3rd in the team contest with 4/7 advancing and 3/7 in the finals with 2 Champions.  Shout out to Kankakee Valley, Rensselaer Central, and Wawasee for top 10 finishes with less than 6 wrestlers in the game.  Some of the big number schools still did well, notably Portage qualifying 8/14 for Indy.  Crown Point got 4/11 through, Penn 4/12 and Merrillville 3/12.  Harrison WL brought 10 with only 1 moving on.  Any other strong performances by schools who brought less that 10 wrestlers to their respective SS???  #QualityNotQuantity

Not sure how to take this post, are you saying the guys who did not qualify that made it to the Semi-State are not "Quality"?

Not at all, lots of great wrestlers ended their season this past weekend (and some before).  Simply looking at schools who did not bring as many members of the team to the SS, but got a large percentage of their guys through/ placed high as a team with fewer participants. And in the case of both Chesterton and Hobart a large percentage in the finals/Champions.

Not sure how to take this post, are you saying the guys who did not qualify that made it to the Semi-State are not "Quality"?

I think he's saying it doesn't matter how many wrestlers a program brings to a tournament, if they have a quality training regimen, the performance of the wrestlers who did make it speaks louder and is looked at as more impressive than the numbers they pushed through. I think that's what he means.

Chesterton wrestled out of this world! They did a fantastic job with all 6 of their guys in the finals with 4 champs! Congrats to the ECC semi-state champs! Thank you for the kind words from the Hobart Staff, we were really proud of the way our guys performed, Our 106 Cardwell lost to the kid that won it, 152 Burns lost a nail biter to Lamore CP, and our 160 Guarnero (Reg champ) was rewarded with a very tough Oskar Kasch CP and wrestled really well against him. Not to mention these boys have been putting in the work in the classroom as well, 4 academic all-staters!

Garrett took 7 to Semi State.  Advanced 3 to state.  Had a rough ticket round match for returning state qualifier Beck Davis as he drew into Caleb Maddox.  We had a freshman almost pull the 4 over 1.  Pretty solid day.

Yeah I seen Corbin Maddox ripped off 82 points in 4 matches ..that was a tough draw ... I got Maddox going to the finals with a solid match up with McCLain on the way..at least your guy has another year to make a deep run...best of luck next weekend

Not trying to knock anyone or any team & yes it impressive to see what some of these schools accomplished, but quality verses quantity is often the difference between a good tourney team & a good dual meet team. It is why the team state champion is often not the state tournament champion.

Not that you don't have to have quality for a team state title, but having tremendous depth (quantity) is more important in dual meet format. And vice-versa, having depth certainly comes in handy in a tournament but quality is more important.

Avon brings 5 , all should place Top 5 in my opinion.

I think they get 2 in the top 4. I believe Garcia wins it pretty handily and Larson runs into HE-MAN. I don't see Riaux(??) beating Curtis if he does win first round. I don't know if you know much about Reagan but he is no-one to look past. I believe he is their first ever state qualifier. I'm not taking anything away from Riaux either. I think highly of him. I believe he is definitely top 5 best in the state but Terrible draw. Then Conley has a terrible draw also. He drew the favorite to win it all in most peoples eyes. I believe he is top 10 in the state. Then Clark will Have his hands full Friday night and if he wins he will have kern more thank likely then Warren. Wow. I believe Clark is top 8 in the state. And I believe Larson is top 2.I was actually surprised seeing this post from you because all year you've been pretty unbiased on what you truly think would happen. I know you are supposed to cheer for your team but I don't believe for one second you believe they all place Top 5 Lol. Good Luck tho.

I think they get 2 in the top 4. I believe Garcia wins it pretty handily and Larson runs into HE-MAN. I don't see Riaux(??) beating Curtis if he does win first round. I don't know if you know much about Reagan but he is no-one to look past. I believe he is their first ever state qualifier. I'm not taking anything away from Riaux either. I think highly of him. I believe he is definitely top 5 best in the state but Terrible draw. Then Conley has a terrible draw also. He drew the favorite to win it all in most peoples eyes. I believe he is top 10 in the state. Then Clark will Have his hands full Friday night and if he wins he will have kern more thank likely then Warren. Wow. I believe Clark is top 8 in the state. And I believe Larson is top 2.I was actually surprised seeing this post from you because all year you've been pretty unbiased on what you truly think would happen. I know you are supposed to cheer for your team but I don't believe for one second you believe they all place Top 5 Lol. Good Luck tho.

Those 3 with bad draws Saturday morning can fight back for 5th place in do believe. Sounds to me some of you guys selling Avon wrestlers short a bit, are you worried about the Team race with my predictions? This Topic is about Quality not Quantity. I would of not posted Avon Top 5 if I didn't believe it. Everybody knows anything possible. All 5 have to do is win Friday Night ... then you doubters start getting worried cause that's just closer to what I said .

By the way who are you again ? Name

You think you know me but we "The People" don't know who you are .

Those 3 with bad draws Saturday morning can fight back for 5th place in do believe. Sounds to me some of you guys selling Avon wrestlers short a bit, are you worried about the Team race with my predictions? This Topic is about Quality not Quantity. I would of not posted Avon Top 5 if I didn't believe it. Everybody knows anything possible. All 5 have to do is win Friday Night ... then you doubters start getting worried cause that's just closer to what I said .

By the way who are you again ? Name

You think you know me but we "The People" don't know who you are .

I apologize about that. You are absolutely correct. They all 5 can get top 5. I forgot if you lose 2nd round you wrestle back for 5th.was thinking you had to win first 2 rounds for some reason. Again I apologize. I have no wrestler there. I am not affiliated with any certain team. I just go to meets and follow it because it is the best sport ever. I wrestled 20 years ago lol.

Yeah I seen Corbin Maddox ripped off 82 points in 4 matches ..that was a tough draw ... I got Maddox going to the finals with a solid match up with McCLain on the way..at least your guy has another year to make a deep run...best of luck next weekend

Thank you.  Beck had an injury that kept him out for a long time.  That effected him for sure, but there was no stopping Maddox Saturday.  He's a takedown machine for a 220!  I

Not trying to knock anyone or any team & yes it impressive to see what some of these schools accomplished, but quality verses quantity is often the difference between a good tourney team & a good dual meet team. It is why the team state champion is often not the state tournament champion.

Not that you don't have to have quality for a team state title, but having tremendous depth (quantity) is more important in dual meet format. And vice-versa, having depth certainly comes in handy in a tournament but quality is more important.

Nailed it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.