My State Thoughts

SWINfan

106 is a hot mess...  in a good way.  Lots of potential and who knows how that all shakes out.  Curtis should be the favorite, but his draw looks like he'll have to earn it.  Then again, everyone who wins state earns it.....

113 seems more balanced to this amateur's eyes, but the potential for a rematch of last year's Semifinal in the Quarterfinals this year is intriguing.  That's Asa Garcia v. Kory Cavanaugh so you don't have to look it up.  

120 is also crazy good.  Nier v. Mosconi, Mills v. Noehre, Poynter v. Wright all on Friday night!  Potential Quarterfinal matchups: Freije v. Poynter/Wright, Mejia v. Mills/Noehre and Triana v. Mosconi/Nier.  Good stuff!

126 - The battle of the Matt's (Gimson & Lee) is interesting to me, but the winner gets rewarded with either Cummings or Alec White is far from a picnic.  Tough draw for the 1st Placer from Jimtown.  Jordan Slivka v. Blake Mulkey in the Quarterfinals feels like a Semi or Final match to me.

132 - The draw gods must have liked pairing the Gimson's against Mater Dei as Conner gets MD's Kyle Luigs in round 1.  The winner is awarded with a shot at former champ Jeremiah Reitz.  While Dawson Combest has looked the part of Champion, I'm disappointed at the potential of Reitz and Breyden Bailey in the Semifinals rather than under the lights.  Granted both have to get there first.

138 - The top half of the bracket looks daunting as a Quarterfinal rematch looms with Tristan Sellmer v. Kris Rumph.  Their previous match was won by Rumph 2-2 UTB.  The winner likely gets Zach Melloh, 36-1.  Melloh's only loss was to Sellmer 6-4 TB-1.  

145 - #1 v. #2 in the Quarterfinals?  Not Fair!  An unexpected loss at Semi-State lands Kasper McIntosh square in the sights of prohibitive favorite Brayton Lee.  McIntosh gave Lee his closest match (5-3) in Indiana since his freshman year at Team State.  Can Kasper pull the upset this time?

152 - Can 2 of the trio of Kyle Hatch, Kenny Kerrn and Noah Warren break through against defending champ and favorite Joe Lee?  Will this be Joe Lee's final appearance at Banker's Life?  Lee v. Hatch in the Semifinals should be fun!

160 - Every time something seems easy, it turns out not to be.  But to me, this one is easy.  Gleason Mappes will square off against Brad Laughlin for the chance to face Alston Bane under the lights.  Beyond that I see a lot of close, competitive matches here.

170 - Deep is the word that comes to mind.  The Mooresville Regional is representative of this whole bracket.  All four waltzed through Semi-State and all have had close matches against each other.  I see more of the same with the rest of the bracket.  Toss the names into a blender and see what shakes out.  Webster v. VanHorn in the Quarterfinal?  The winner facing Baumgartner?  If they get there....  Good stuff here.

182 - The upper weights are not my strong suit, but this one looks like a Final of Nathan Walton v. Lucas Davison. No, wait, that's the Semifinal match! Jacob Gray or Thomas Dull look to be waiting to face the survivor of that colossal match.

195 - Kurtis Wilderman v. Ben Stewart in Round 1?  That's 6th and 3rd Placers (or #5 v. #2 in the rankings if you prefer to slice it that way) from last year facing off on Friday night.  Ouch! Definitely some interesting possibilities.  Tonte v. Shaffer (who was very impressive at Eville SS) in one Semifinal.  The Wilderman - Stewart gets David Eli and then Andrew Davison sits waiting in the wings.  Davison is the favorite here in my mind, but it won't be an easy road.

220 - Mason Parris with everyone else fighting for 2nd.  No disrespect, but Parris is just on another level.

285 - In theory we should see Evan Ellis v. Isaiah McWilliams under the lights.  But Wade Ripple, Robert Samuels, Elijah Bailey and others don't plan to go along with that script. 

I had a bad feeling both the Gimsons would draw into both the Mater Dei guys... Lee vs. Gimson 1 could be one of the greatest 1v4s of the tournament.

Lee 1 vs Gimson 1?

Luigs/Gimson round 1...wow. People were talking about this potential matchup after the Holiday tournaments and SW people insisted Luigs would major him. Gimson hasn't looked as good the last 2 weeks as he did at the Al Smith, but he still has the win over Combest that Luigs couldn't get. And how good does that Al Smith run look now? He goes 8-2 over ticket-rounder Ellis, pins SS runner-up Tolin, and beats SS champ Combest. I'll take Luigs in this one, but it's one of the top 5 round 1 Friday night matchups in my opinion.

Lee 1 vs Gimson 1?

Luigs/Gimson round 1...wow. People were talking about this potential matchup after the Holiday tournaments and SW people insisted Luigs would major him. Gimson hasn't looked as good the last 2 weeks as he did at the Al Smith, but he still has the win over Combest that Luigs couldn't get. And how good does that Al Smith run look now? He goes 8-2 over ticket-rounder Ellis, pins SS runner-up Tolin, and beats SS champ Combest. I'll take Luigs in this one, but it's one of the top 5 round 1 Friday night matchups in my opinion.

I will take Luigs by a major .. though out a season , some wrestlers have some let downs while others wrestle out of their minds at some events ...that's why they wrestle the matches . That's why their entire body of work is what they should be judged on ..

Lee 1 vs Gimson 1?

based on his performance this weekend I dought anyone would pick Luigs. I'll take gimson Edited by RichardMowery

based on his performance this weekend I dought anyone would pick Luigs. I'll take gimson

Luigs has beaten some good kids this year.. I think it comes down to match ups and who is on their game that day.. Mater Dei will have him ready for Friday.. I say this knowing that luigis appeared to be pinned against Noah Franklin yesterday.

I think you are overlooking Jessop of HSE @182. Dull will have to get through him before he even gets a chance of beating Gray, let alone getting a shot at Walton.

I didn't overlook anyone.  It's too much to mention everyone so I just hit the highlights as I saw them.  There are a ton of spots where upsets will happen or guys I didn't mention will win.  There is way too much info to digest to seriously analyze in an hour.

I didn't overlook anyone. It's too much to mention everyone so I just hit the highlights as I saw them. There are a ton of spots where upsets will happen or guys I didn't mention will win. There is way too much info to digest to seriously analyze in an hour.

I realize that but I just assumed you would be more likely to mention a #1 seed than a #3 seed.

I realize that but I just assumed you would be more likely to mention a #1 seed than a #3 seed.

They aren't seeds.  Dull has only lost once to Walton who is the favorite to win it.  I call 'em like I see them.  Dull or Jessop could lost Friday night.  It was a quick synopsis.  Assuming things can be dangerous.  :)

They aren't seeds. Dull has only lost once to Walton who is the favorite to win it. I call 'em like I see them. Dull or Jessop could lost Friday night. It was a quick synopsis. Assuming things can be dangerous. :)

I was using the term "seed" as a synonym for semi state placement. I wasn't trying to knock your thoughts or the talent of Dull, just wanted to say that 182 will be one hell of a dogfight!

Nothing like being damned for writing up an article! IronPeguin feel free to take your time to write up your thoughts so we can all tear it apart. If you have something to add, than add it instead of criticizing someone else!

Again, I did not mean to offend anyone or criticize the original poster. I appreciate the time and effort that he put into writing out his personal thoughts, and I largely agree with the majority of his views. However, I thought I would take the opportunity to shoutout a hometown kid that has been underrated for the majority of the year. Forgive me for having a differing opinion!

Had to reiterate that point on previous post.... You forgot to mention a certain somebody waiting for them all from the bottom half of 138!

Honestly, I didn't forget Black at all.  I'm thinking he has that side of the bracket all to his own and the excitement was at the top.  Think of my post as random thoughts based on a quick scan of the brackets.  

Again, I did not mean to offend anyone or criticize the original poster. I appreciate the time and effort that he put into writing out his personal thoughts, and I largely agree with the majority of his views. However, I thought I would take the opportunity to shoutout a hometown kid that has been underrated for the majority of the year. Forgive me for having a differing opinion!

You're good with me.  I have no problem with your shout out to Jessop.  I don't know much about him.  I'm strange.  I'd rather have someone tell me I'm nuts and my opinion is wrong (and back it up with their thoughts) than say I forgot or didn't know something.  So if I reacted as if I were offended, my apologies.  I actually enjoy being challenged and giving it back.  

Jessop is a Beast...I've seen dull and him both this year..I got Jessop by at least 3

Jessop is definitely strong and has legs like tree trunks, however I was disappointed with his lack of offense.  He barely won his semi final match and just would not shoot.  I would like to see him be more aggressive.  I think if he opens up he could be dangerous, but if he sits back and plays defense like he did in semi-state he will be in trouble.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.