Bethel and Cooper

Wrestling4EVER

Man this match really made me aggravated.Bethel seriously used at least 10 minuted injury time. I don't think this is exaggerating either. I believe their needs to be another penalty for injury time. I know the 2nd time the other wrestler gets choice but it didn't help much because it was like he waited till Cooper got choice in the 3rd and took down and then he used more injury time because he knew their would be no penalty. If anyone else seen this match I would like to get your thoughts on it. Matches like these punishes a guy like Cooper that works so hard every day to be in top Shape. But when your opponent takes a time out to rest and catch his breathe not once and not twice but I believe 4 or 5 times he gets his second wind and wrestles for another 30 seconds to a minute and then takes another injury time out to do it all over again then it takes alot away from wrestling. If points were rewarded people would only do it for legit injuries. Now. Don't get me wrong if a wrestler is injured then that is the main responsibility of a ref is safety. He was very slow getting to the center after a whistle was blown also. Got called for stalling once but then kept doing the same thing so why not call Another stalling. I don't want to start an argument with this because I am a big fan of Bethel and I'd love to see him win it all this year. Just wanting some opinions of people that actually saw this match. I'm sorry this just got under my skin because I've always believed and taught kids that if you are in better shape then opponent then you will beat him most of the time in the third period.

Having injury time cost wrestlers a point is counterintuitive. Injury time is in place to protect an athlete's health and safety, and I'm sure many wrestlers would NEVER call injury time in a close match if they knew it was possibly going to cost them the victory. I do believe some uses of injury time are less than valid, but which would you rather have: Kids who aren't hurt calling injury time or kids who are hurt not calling injury time? I cannot speak on this individual match, however, as I was busy watching all the crazy upsets at New Castle!

I caught the tail end of that match. Felt bad for cooper. Have bethel all he wanted and more.

Speaking of injury time- did you see ripple have Henson on his back and then they called injury time?

Henson match was blood time, not injury time. If ref sees blood, then he has to stop it right away.

I have been a very long time supporter of bethel. But honestly 20 minute matchs because of his gas tank. This isn't the first time iv seen this when he is in a tough one. After 1:30 of injury time the match should have been called instead the ref gave him "his time" and then blood time. Cooper got robbed in my opinion.

Since no one is coming to the defense of Austin Bethel, it looks like I will...

1st point- The injury time was due to a medical condition that Austin has struggled with for 4 years. It is a huge accomplishment that he has been able to continue to compete when after his freshman year it was thought he would never wrestle again. The injury stoppage was MY call to check on the health of MY wrestler. I will not comment any further due to confidentiality.  

2nd point- We used ALL of our injury time so that we would not stop the match again. If we had to stop again, we would have defaulted the match. We, Mt. Vernon, do not win that way. We do not break rules or take dives to win matches. 

3rd point- The two stoppages AFTER the injury time were due to blood time. That is not on myself or Austin. The official saw it and HAS to stop the match to tend to the blood issue. If anyone watched Ripple's match with Henson, we were on the unfortunate end of that blood time...and we are not complaining about that nor would we be had we lost. 

4th point- As to the remarks on his conditioning...I invite you to come watch our running, swimming, and live sessions and ask you to see who goes the hardest, the longest. Austin is in great shape and many don't see that due to his style of getting pins early in matches. For the record, he had Cooper pretty close to pinned (if not pinned) 3 times in the first period. Had that call happened, like it should have, this post would not exist. 

Lastly- Neither Austin, the ref, or myself broke any rules during this match. It gets under MY skin that anyone would take a shot at a kid like this. This senior deserved his chance to finish the match even if it was on one leg. We are proud of Austin and all of his accomplishments. He became the FIRST wrestler in our school's history to qualify for state 4 times! That is what I will take away from this weekend and that is worthy of praise, not criticism. 

Congrats Austin & Wade!! You guys make MV proud!!

Tim Alcorn

Mt. Vernon Head Wrestling Coach

Y2, 

I respectfully ask that this post be haulted before it takes any turns for the worse. I know people are entitled to their opinion, but I think this week leading up to the state finals should positively focused on the kids. 

Edited by alcorntr