Have You Ever Seen a Seven-Point Move...

hook and half

...If you were at the Evansville semi state, you did.

Mater Dei's Kyle Luigs faced New Washington's Noah Franklin for third place at 132.  Franklin reversed a headlock attempt and put Luigs to his back.  Franklin cranked on the headlock while Luigs fought vigorously.  While bridging, wiggling and scooting, the pair went out of bounds and the referee stopped the action.  The score was 7-0.

2 points- takedown

3 points- near fall

1 point penalty- hands to the face

6 points, in total.  What was the seventh point?  It cannot be for "fleeing the mat"; there is no such call when you are on your back.  

Edited by hook and half

In the situation you describe it would have been a 4 pt nearfall. An extra point gets added due to the illegal hands to the face. 1 pt for the illegal move and 1 extra NF pt.

2 TD

4 NF

1 penalty

7-0

Edited by Rookies03

In the situation you describe it would have been a 4 pt nearfall. An extra point gets added due to the illegal hands to the face. 1 pt for the illegal move and 1 extra NF pt.

2 TD

4 NF

1 penalty

7-0

effectively, the hands to the face amounts to a 2-point penalty if you are on your back?

effectively, the hands to the face amounts to a 2-point penalty if you are on your back?

Yes because it can stop you from Being pinned by doing it. Even tho it was pretty clear he didn't care about the 7 points because. He knew the match should had been over. Everyone knew when the ref was scared to slap the mat that Luigs was gonna win that match. It was a clear great move and a catch by Franklin.Lets just see how it effects things.

Any time near fall is stopped because of an illegal hold from the bottom, an extra near fall point beyond what was earned is awarded. This can also happen with blood and injury stoppages during near fall.

maligned, i'm hearing you say something different.  the near fall was not stopped because of an illegal hold from the bottom, it was stopped only when they were out of bounds.  so, why the seventh point?

maligned, i'm hearing you say something different.  the near fall was not stopped because of an illegal hold from the bottom, it was stopped only when they were out of bounds.  so, why the seventh point?

I'm not sure. I didn't see it and it's possible it was stopped near out of bounds and people assumed it was an out of bounds stoppage. It should be stopped immediately with any illegal hold and out of bounds shouldn't ever come into play.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.