Legalized theft at Chicago SS

KBFan1

McCartney had an obvious leg Turk in, for 15 secs and Harper screamed stalling a few times and Voila! The ref obliged with 7 secs left. 2nd year in a row for a good kid from Logan Reg to get derailed by a bad call. Bad calls are part of sports, but it seemed very unfair to most people watching...even many Penn folks were surprised. Coaches should coach their kid, but not purposely try to get a ref to cheat another kid.

We've all seen you criticize officials Fabio...it just depends whose ox is being gored I guess. So the new rule is, no complaining about officials on this board, instead get a license? That's fine as long as you use the same logic while coaching. Next time you get after an official, justifiably about a rule, if he replies, "Be quiet. Apply for a license Nick," Will that be fair to your wrestler?

Coaches unaffiliated with either team said... before it was called..."Watch Harper, he's begging and his kid isn't working. They should call it on his kid".

Upsets me too that Harper and McCartney go way back. It's one thing to outright hose a kid but to do it to one who wrestled for you when you started your career and who followed you to Penn to club and then is on your Disney Duals team. I guess that's what success does to you. My heart broke for Trey!

Our heart broke for Trey and Tanner when we saw the brackets . But Harper is the Head wrestling coach for Penn his job , his resposability is to the Kingsmen wrestler on the mat no matter who he is wrestling against. As fate would have it the same call went against Penn in a very tight first round match at 132.... I understand being disappointed but you can not fault a coach for doing his job.

Our heart broke for Trey and Tanner when we saw the brackets . But Harper is the Head wrestling coach for Penn his job , his resposability is to the Kingsmen wrestler on the mat no matter who he is wrestling against. As fate would have it the same call went against Penn in a very tight first round match at 132.... I understand being disappointed but you can not fault a coach for doing his job.

I don't think you'll find a person in the stands who thought stalling should've been called on McCartney! He was clearly the one working! Demien was down 2-1 and wasn't getting up so Harper yells stalling to bail his kid. Harper wasn't coaching his kid, he was coaching the ref. I witnessed the same thing 2 years ago at Rochester Regionals when one of the Penn kids stalled the ENTIRE match and a stall call was called on a Culver kid who was clearly pushing the pace and attacking legs costing him a Regional Championship.

It is not a coaches job to win at ALL costs. When a coach yells something he knows is not true, he is being unethical. Harper yelled stalling when he knew McCartney had a leg Turk in, which he knows is a pinning combination. Many coaches are disappointed, even coaches who know Harper well. They thought he crossed the line. What example is a coach setting for his wrestlers, when he wins at all costs? Is it okay if wrestlers do the same? Lie, cheat for a victory? Anybody who supports that isn't sportsmanlike. One of the coaches for Harrison, Hinkel, is the former Purdue coach, who coached Harper at Purdue. He received a penalty point for telling the official that the leg Turk is a pinning combination. Harper complained all through the match and received no penalty.

It is not a coaches job to win at ALL costs. When a coach yells something he knows is not true, he is being unethical. Harper yelled stalling when he knew McCartney had a leg Turk in, which he knows is a pinning combination. Many coaches are disappointed, even coaches who know Harper well. They thought he crossed the line. What example is a coach setting for his wrestlers, when he wins at all costs? Is it okay if wrestlers do the same? Lie, cheat for a victory? Anybody who supports that isn't sportsmanlike. One of the coaches for Harrison, Hinkel, is the former Purdue coach, who coached Harper at Purdue. He received a penalty point for telling the official that the leg Turk is a pinning combination. Harper complained all through the match and received no penalty.

EXACTLY! A lot of people lost respect for him today!

Not saying the call was wrong or right what I am saying is that this is part of the sport, like it or not. I haven't witnessed too many coaches who don't "work" the refs on behalf of their wrestler. At the end of the day Harper didn't make the call.

We've all seen you criticize officials Fabio...it just depends whose ox is being gored I guess. So the new rule is, no complaining about officials on this board, instead get a license? That's fine as long as you use the same logic while coaching. Next time you get after an official, justifiably about a rule, if he replies, "Be quiet. Apply for a license Nick," Will that be fair to your wrestler?

I don't think I have ever on a message board called out official if there is a bad call there is a bad call and I move on I don't go whine a out it on a message board....

Yep, you're a perfect guy I'm sure Nick. I used to watch you wrestle. You "whined"a few times. Preach to all of us. Message boards are for sharing people's passionate thoughts. You've spouted plenty of your opinions on here. Nobody on here has named the official or demeaned him. The conversation is primarily about a coaches ethics of lack thereof, depending on your perspective. The message board allows people to vent. Thank goodness. Wrestling coaches and families need it sometimes. Thanks Y2!

I agree that there doesn't need to be a topic posted every time a ref gets a call wrong, but where has this idea that "if you don't like the calls, become a ref" come from? If you get a poorly cooked meal, do you have to become a chef before you can criticize it? If somebody does a half-assed job fixing your car, do you have to shrug it off if you aren't a mechanic yourself? Nobody is perfect, everyone makes mistakes, but we don't have to baby the refs every time somebody complains about their call. On the flip side though, we don't have to make threads on a message board about them.

Edited by Caleb Spires

I have been coaching for a few years now and been wrestling several more and I have yet to find a coach who won't try and persuade a ref to make a call whether the call is actually there or just trying to tie up the match or win. I know for a fact I do this probably 3-4 times a match I actually got a ref to call stalling on a kid who had a power half trying to turn us this year. But you may just be an upset parent or whatever but don't come at coaches and put the integrity and morality of great coaches on the line because you're upset.