Changes?

takemtothemat

Sucks for those out. I'm glad some kids are getting another chance, but I'm just not a fan of the way alternates are determined. Most alternates end up winning only 1 actual wrestled match in Sectionals and none and Regional. While several other wrestlers finished with a few more Sectional wins and a higher sectional place. It then again the IHSAA just wants a set of butts in the seat they don't care too much which one it is. Hopefully the alternate that did get in can put up a great fight and show they are capable of wrestling at that level. Great experience for most of them who will continue next season.

Edited by MattM

Sucks for those out. I'm glad some kids are getting another chance, but I'm just not a fan of the way alternates are determined. Most alternates end up winning only 1 actual wrestled match in Sectionals and none and Regional. While several other wrestlers finished with a few more Sectional wins and a higher sectional place. It then again the IHSAA just wants a set of butts in the seat they don't care too much which one it is. Hopefully the alternate that did get in can put up a great fight and show they are capable of wrestling at that level. Great experience for most of them who will continue next season.

I have to agree again. Not sure there is a simple fix.

The simple fix based on final Sectional placement is talked about in a different thread. But until the IHSAA agrees it more useful to the tournament there is no fix. Edited by MattM

Yeah, Matt's said something similar before and I wrote this simple fix this week for picking the alternate from among the regional losers: first priority goes to the highest placer at sectional; if there's a tie, give it to the one who lost to the highest regional placer.

If full wrestlebacks aren't an option, then repachage round at regionals. Wrestlers who lost to finalist get pulled into 5th 6th place match.

This is still bogus. You'll mostly be bringing the two sectional 4th placers against each other while the 2nd or 3rd placers go home.

If full wrestlebacks aren't an option, then repachage round at regionals. Wrestlers who lost to finalist get pulled into 5th 6th place match.

We really wont be getting full wrestle-backs.  The IHSAA thinks it takes to long and the pay out isn't great considering only a few alternates ever get called up to the next round.  Giving the alternate to the highest sectional placer at least provides a wrestler who has beaten a couple competitors so far in the state series, plus it doesn't take up any additional time.  Seems like the simplest fix, but the IHSAA is content with the current set up since it still puts the same number of butts in the seats for the next round.    I guess the good news is at least we have alternates so someone has a chance to wrestle another week and get some experience.  

Edited by MattM

We really wont be getting full wrestle-backs.  The IHSAA thinks it takes to long and the pay out isn't great considering only a few alternates ever get called up to the next round.  Giving the alternate to the highest sectional placer at least provides a wrestler who has beaten a couple competitors so far in the state series, plus it doesn't take up any additional time.  Seems like the simplest fix, but the IHSAA is content with the current set up since it still puts the same number of butts in the seats for the next round.    I guess the good news is at least we have alternates so someone has a chance to wrestle another week and get some experience.  

The man always keeping us down

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.