Moving the Castle Regional

SouthSideJimmy

North will be hosting the regional next year not Castle.

In other news, apparently Reitz is moving back to the Evv Central Sectional and Wood Memorial to Castle. Those two sectionals will be extremely lopsided next year as Reitz got 11 wrestles through to Regional. Wood memorial none to Regional.

That's true, we didn't advance anyone, but a positive note for us it's been extra motivation to not repeat that failure again.

That's true, we didn't advance anyone, but a positive note for us it's been extra motivation to not repeat that failure again.

No offense meant.  But there will be some Evv Central Sectional 4 seeds over Castle Sectional 1 seeds at the "Evv North" Regional next year.

Even with my bad timing of hitting concessions when they get hit hard and ran out, I in no way want to see it move. It's convenient for me living on the east side, and that drive up 41 is no fun. I hope the volunteers that run the Castle regional realize how much everyone appreciates their hard work and dedication to the sport of wrestling.

Best of Luck to the North Husky faithful on hosting the Regionals.  Sincerely.

As for moving the Semi State...NOPE...for decades we have had to drive to Indy for everything from Football to concerts.   It's only fair that the Center of the staters get to expirence God's Country instead of us having to make that drive two weekends in a row.

See that's what people NEVER think about.  The cost of travelling for the schools and kids to these events week in and week out.   Avon, Brownsburgh, and others are very close to Banker's Life. Mater Dei, Castle and others have to make a drive twice is just plain unfair to the schools and to the fans.

YES I know the South Easterners will cry about their plight.  But something has got to give, and Evansville is  still the third largest population center in the state. The Ford Center is the most suited facility in this half of the state outside of I.U. or possibly Indiana State (which would make NO SENSE).   I remember the days of going to Seymour.  GREAT Gym, but WAY to small for the numbers that we get, that was the justification for moving it many years ago.

Finally..Reitz to move yet again...so they can go back to finishing 3rd in the Central Sectional again.   I guess some people just can't be pleased with who is beating them year in and year out.

The Ford Center puts on the best show for the young men wrestling. If you can think of another venue that can do what the Ford Center does for the wrestlers i'd be delighted to hear.

Having Semi-State in an arena sure is nice for the fans and gives the wrestlers a sample of the atmosphere they will be in at Bankers Life. The only other arena style buildings that I know of in that Semi-State are IU's Assembly Hall and the Indiana States Arena. Both of which maybe decent for the event, but would still result in the same travel issues for some teams that Evansville has now. Edited by MattM

See that's what people NEVER think about.  The cost of travelling for the schools and kids to these events week in and week out.   Avon, Brownsburgh, and others are very close to Banker's Life. Mater Dei, Castle and others have to make a drive twice is just plain unfair to the schools and to the fans.

As a Castle fan, I'd rather make the drive twice than not make it at all.

As far as moving the regional from Castle to North, I'm agin it.  But, no one asked me and if they had they wouldn't have cared what I thought.  As far as the Semistate, I remember driving to Seymour.  It doesn't matter where you put the Semistate, SOMEONE is going to have to drive further than they want to.  Back when it was at Seymour, there were only 3 wrestlers per weight  class from each regional.  Less wrestlers, less fans.  Still we were packed in shoulder to shoulder.  I also remember only being able to see about half of the 2 mats closest to where you were seated.  If the action moved towards the wall, you couldn't see it.  I know of very few high school gyms that could handle the logistics as well as the Ford Center does it.

I know I'm a little partial, but my old school I coached, Washington, would be a great SemiState venue..........but there is no floor space. Truly built only for basketball. The goals are in the floor, so no space to put three mats across.

But if they could reconfigure the goals to be off the floor, the seating (7100 plus) is perfect. The first row of seats is about 15 feet above the floor so everyone would get great viewing.

But, it's just a dream. Unless the goals were fixed, it would never be an option

I know I'm a little partial, but my old school I coached, Washington, would be a great SemiState venue..........but there is no floor space. Truly built only for basketball. The goals are in the floor, so no space to put three mats across.

But if they could reconfigure the goals to be off the floor, the seating (7100 plus) is perfect. The first row of seats is about 15 feet above the floor so everyone would get great viewing.

But, it's just a dream. Unless the goals were fixed, it would never be an option

The semistate ends at 6:00pm with 4 mats, 3 mats would be impossible. Also, Washington doesn't save anyone much time as opposed to Evansville. Lastly, Evansville has the hotels, restaurants, etc., to easily accommodate an event the size of the semistate, Washington does not.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.