Granby? From the bottom or standing...

HolsteinKing

If you're from the 80's, the Granby was a big deal, and saved a lot of guys with 4 to 5 point moves either standing or off the bottom in an emergency.  We see the basic Peterson quite often still, but I've not seen a true Granby in ages... let alone a beautiful standing one, catching the leg and getting reversal and near fall.  Has anyone in recent memory seen one?

I remember vividly seeing one at a Michigan tournament pre-season just a couple months ago. Kid did a standing granby, caught the kid in a peterson, and won the match cause of it (Was down 3-6 in the 3rd period with about 20 seconds left, did the standing granby to a peterson, and won 7-6)

I use to attend the Granby camps in VA. Under the great Billy Martin..they taught some great techniques...Terrell Coatie use to have a sweet standing granby...most kids that attempt it on bottom don't clear their legs and put them selves in bad positions if they are wrestling a keen wrestler...

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

Lots of great local restaurants on Granby Street in downtown Norfolk, VA. My personal favorite is Luce where they serve wild boar ragu over pasta.

Great Bridge high-school use to be a national power house...I'm not sure about today though...You familiar?

The entire Rich South team out of Richton Park in the Chicago south suburbs were gramby masters in the 80s and earlier. I talked to one of their coaches at a tourney a couple of years ago and he claimed not to know of the tradition.

Which is exactly why warsawwrestling called it a lost art, busstogate.  I would bet today a great majority of kids would not know how to defend it, other than probably our elite guys.  The granby on the mat, is much easier to defend than the standing granby, though.  Maybe this might get some coaches into considering bringing it in. Back in the day, Coach Dechant, made sure it was in everyone's arsenal... from 98 pounds to heavyweight.  It'd be awesome to see a kid pop one for 5 down at state!

No worries bussty!  Never took it as an argument or devaluation, sir.  Just the lost art comment and Rich Park's coach not knowing the legacy of the granby there seems non-coincidental.  Only issues I have is when dinner's gonna be tonight!   LOL!

Warsaw, it is... and I haven't even seen that one in ages either!   Am I giving you ideas?   Ha!   I'll not ask if that's in Mr. Hatch's bag of tricks... hate to tip that poker hand if he's gotta pull that hidden ace.

I think granby should be renamed stack me. If you have enough space for an arm to separate from a following wrestler, you should be able to square and get out.

If he over follows then Peterson.

Never did like the shoulder roll to your back Granby move and hope he doesn't let go or pull his wrist back.

Edited by Mat Shark

No worries bussty! Never took it as an argument or devaluation, sir. Just the lost art comment and Rich Park's coach not knowing the legacy of the granby there seems non-coincidental. Only issues I have is when dinner's gonna be tonight! LOL!

Warsaw, it is... and I haven't even seen that one in ages either! Am I giving you ideas? Ha! I'll not ask if that's in Mr. Hatch's bag of tricks... hate to tip that poker hand if he's gotta pull that hidden ace.

Probably in Mr Hatch's (my) bag of tricks, but jr is much more skilled and probably would laugh at me for exposing my back!

Like I said it is a lost art! Kids are comfortable scrambling these days. Back in my day there were much more straight on styles! Kids have great hips these days, we'll more kids do.

Edited by warsawwrestling

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.