Cradle

shoottowin

Decatur Central late 80s mid 90s...but I'm gonna say the best cross-face cradle either goes to Nick Walpole or Sampson Cook...Cook wasn't very good on his feet, but the kid could cradle anyone...I remember seeing him down in alot of matches by 8-10 points, & he would choose top in the 3rd lock up his cradle & win by fall...

Doug Rigney

2x 3rd place finisher 

no the guy I'm thinking of was a 4 x

I was posting my opinion. :)

And yes, Ellis had a nice showboating leg cradle.

Tim Klingensmith's Jay County Patriots in the 80's

I give you the prize for being first to mention Coach Klingensmith and Jay County.  In the 80's they were so dangerous with all kinds of cradles.  If you could beat the cradle you could beat them, but boy was it tough to do.  You were on the edge of your chair  for the whole match.

Another team that was really good with cradles from all positions was Fred Ginther's Muncie North teams of the mid 70's.  They could hit them from anywhere. 

I don't know about the spelling but the best I ever seen was a guy from. Seymour names Curt Schleibaum(sp?) best I ever seen hands down. I'm pretty sure he placed in state by just using it.

Spelling is correct. Nice Job.  The Crossface Cradle did result in most of his career pins.  His brother has a great one too.  However, Curt ended up beating his opening round state match against Elkins using a hammerlock/arm-bar turn to pin. He may have got a cradle in during his placement match though. It wasn't a great pick to choose down when you had period choice.

I'd throw in the the Richey brothers from Brown County for having some nasty cradles.  Especially, Mitchell who was the the older but smaller of the two.  

Edited by MattM

A few years ago there was a wrestler from LC in the Marion County tournament that cradled a kid and the kid lost consciousness.  Those two wrestled later in the tournament and the kid got cradled again and "tapped out."  I had never seen anything like it.  Maybe from a headlock, but never from a cradle.

I give you the prize for being first to mention Coach Klingensmith and Jay County.  In the 80's they were so dangerous with all kinds of cradles.  If you could beat the cradle you could beat them, but boy was it tough to do.  You were on the edge of your chair  for the whole match.

Another team that was really good with cradles from all positions was Fred Ginther's Muncie North teams of the mid 70's.  They could hit them from anywhere. 

Coach Klingensmith has said that he learned cradles from Fred Ginther.

The name Delbert Parham from Kokomo Haworth has to be entered into this conversation.  Delbert (not sure of the spelling) won every match with a cradle.  A more accurate statement may be that Delbert needed a cradle to win every match he ever wrestled.  He won a state title in the early seventies.  I felt sorry for this guy every time he stepped out on the mat.  Delbert looked like he couldn't whip his way out of a wet paper bag but he had one weapon and that was his cradle.  I was a high school freshman when he wrestled, watched him through the regionals and into the state finals.  IMPRESSIVE!

I also wonder why more wrestlers don't use the cradle.

The cradle is likely the most underated pinning combination.

A basic move (with many advanced variations) yet has worked at the highest level of folkstyle wrestling.

There are so many types and set ups of cradles that most are not ever shown by coaches due to their time constraints of practice.

I have noticed some h.s wrestlers sort of fall into cradles but do not know which way to roll.

Once a wrestler develops a bit of cradle sense from different positions, they become a lot more dangerous. I seen a lot of cradle minded wrestlers beat kids that were much better wrestlers (especially on their feet) than themselves in big matches.

Edited by Mat Shark

Pavletic, whom was mentioned earlier in this post always intrigued me.  If I recall correctly, he captured the cradle from a leg ride and his finishes resembled tilts.  His technique was very unique. He didn't always pin his opponent but they weren't going anywhere.  I watched him at Mishawaka and the state tournament.  If anyone has video of this stud, please post or contact me I would love to review his cradle methodology.

Pavletic, whom was mentioned earlier in this post always intrigued me. If I recall correctly, he captured the cradle from a leg ride and his finishes resembled tilts. His technique was very unique. He didn't always pin his opponent but they weren't going anywhere. I watched him at Mishawaka and the state tournament. If anyone has video of this stud, please post or contact me I would love to review his cradle methodology.

Derek Moore tech falled unbeaten Ryan Lang back a few years ago at the NCAA Finals with similar leg ride to cradle style. Cradle is there when opponent sits out when leg riding. Most people are not quick enough to take leg out and hit cradle at same time unless riding with short boot or hook.

Edited by Mat Shark

My teammate threw a few tough cradles during the state series. I'm pretty sure he allowed his opponent to shoot for a single leg just so Mitch could sit on his butt and jamb a cradle.

Everyone he faced was probably better on their feet so he used it against them lol. He was good km top. Man I faced 3 of the best guys on top ever. Black, Robb, Cole. No wonder I have neck problems now.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.