East Chicago semi state picks?

ontherise219

Don't sell yourself short - I see 6 in my magic ball 

Who are your 6?

Triana/Poynter is a possibility though not a strong one.

Cummings/DeLaPena- neither are favored but it's hard to go against a 2x champion in February

Reitz is 50/50 at best with Bailey

Rumph/Black I think is the most likely weight where a title comes home to the 219

L. Davison is a possibility though not the favorite

A. Davison is the favorite to win 195.

I'd say you have 2 for sure champs (Rumph/Black winner and A. Davison).  Of the other 4, likely 2 win and 2 lose.

I'll go with 4 total.  2 on a horrible day.  6 on the best day imaginable. 

Who are your 6?

Triana/Poynter is a possibility though not a strong one.

Cummings/DeLaPena- neither are favored but it's hard to go against a 2x champion in February

Reitz is 50/50 at best with Bailey

Rumph/Black I think is the most likely weight where a title comes home to the 219

L. Davison is a possibility though not the favorite

A. Davison is the favorite to win 195.

I'd say you have 2 for sure champs (Rumph/Black winner and A. Davison). Of the other 4, likely 2 win and 2 lose.

I'll go with 4 total. 2 on a horrible day. 6 on the best day imaginable.

Ouch, cummins a two timer is a maybe now? I mean yeah he lost at al smith, but it was his first tourney back from injury.

I could see 6 coming from the EC SS.

Edited by RaiderColfax

Are we talking "Region" or ECC semi-state?  If it's semi state don't count out the 285 from SBW. I think 5 is a reasonable over/under for ECC.

In my opinion, there are only 2 locks this year: J. Lee and Parris.  If Cummings would have went 120 (which I was told was very possible), I think he would have been a lock as well. 

Should be an exciting tournament this year. 

Not

Are we talking "Region" or ECC semi-state? If it's semi state don't count out the 285 from SBW. I think 5 is a reasonable over/under for ECC.

In my opinion, there are only 2 locks this year: J. Lee and Parris. If Cummings would have went 120 (which I was told was very possible), I think he would have been a lock as well.

Should be an exciting tournament this year.

Not trying to call out Joe Lee, but he placed below Brayton at the Super 32 and is in what I think is a much tougher weight class. Why is he a lock but Brayton isn't?

And to the rat, obviously I'm not saying McIntosh should stay home, but if he has an advantage with Vega in his corner, I wouldn't say Snyder in Lee's corner is a disadvantage.

Edited by Caleb Spires

NotNot trying to call out Joe Lee, but he placed below Brayton at the Super 32 and is in what I think is a much tougher weight class. Why is he a lock but Brayton isn't?

And to the rat, obviously I'm not saying McIntosh should stay home, but if he has an advantage with Vega in his corner, I wouldn't say Snyder in Lee's corner is a disadvantage.

Brayton isn't a lock by virtue of the 5-3 match against McIntosh. 

Don't know about an advantage, but Leroy and the rest of the Portage staff had those boys dialed in at state last year.  

Edited by vito pepperelli

Rat, feel free to go by some scratch-offs at the gas station outside the mill if you're in a gambling mood, but Parris is a lock :)

He is an amazing wrestler but.... cant call it till it happens. Seen and have been through some matches. ALSO how about that super bowl.. thought Atlanta had that one in the bag but..... 4th quarter came around and Patriots wanted it more.

Edited by Cosgrove

Brayton isn't a lock by virtue of the 5-3 match against McIntosh. 

Don't know about an advantage, but Leroy and the rest of the Portage staff had those boys dialed in at state last year.  

I don't know how "dialed in" they were at state.  Poynter lost to Mejia Friday night.  Cornejo lost.  Bam Lawrence lost in the finals to a guy he had beaten previously.  Gaige Torres didn't finish what he set out to do, which was win a title.  I'd say Rumph and McIntosh had nice tournaments, but Portage overall had a very disappointing State Finals.

I don't know how "dialed in" they were at state. Poynter lost to Mejia Friday night. Cornejo lost. Bam Lawrence lost in the finals to a guy he had beaten previously. Gaige Torres didn't finish what he set out to do, which was win a title. I'd say Rumph and McIntosh had nice tournaments, but Portage overall had a very disappointing State Finals.

Yeah, you're completely right. Poynter lost to the eventual state runner up, cornejo lost to the 5th place kid, Gaige lost to a hudkins. McIntosh lost to Joe Lee and rumph, who came out of no where for most of you places 4th. The one that was shocking was Bam losing in the finals.

Also, no one is a lock. Brayton Lee was undefeated his freshman year and got tossed in a headlock. High chances of winning state then most, yes I'd say both lees and Parris, but no one is a for sure lock because why would we wrestle then to just take 2nd?

Brayton Lee was undefeated his freshman year and got tossed in a headlock. High chances of winning state then most, yes I'd say both lees and Parris, but no one is a for sure lock because why would we wrestle then to just take 2nd?

I like brayton a lot I would say nick lee was still the favorite braytons freshman year.

4 placers and 3 runner-ups isn't exactly a failure either. I'd say the only one who underperformed was Bam. Poynter lost to the eventual runner-up on Friday and Torres and McIntosh ran into 2 hammers. Cornejo is a top 16 guy but I wouldn't call his loss shocking. Rumph' 4th place finish was an overachievement in most people's eyes. All in all I'd call that a successful tournament run as a team, might even say they were dialed in.

4 placers and 3 runner-ups isn't exactly a failure either. I'd say the only one who underperformed was Bam. Poynter lost to the eventual runner-up on Friday and Torres and McIntosh ran into 2 hammers. Cornejo is a top 16 guy but I wouldn't call his loss shocking. Rumph' 4th place finish was an overachievement in most people's eyes. All in all I'd call that a successful tournament run as a team, might even say they were dialed in.

I think you can make excuses for each one of those situations or you can look at it from the perspective of "did they meet their individual goals?"

Poynter was wrestling like a medalist with a win over Triana and a runner-up finish at semi-state and he'd beaten Mejia previously and failed to get a medal.  Cornejo was wrestling like a medalist being the only one all year to not be pinned by Hughes and his runner-up finish at semi-state and he failed to get a medal.  Murillo was facing a guy he had beaten earlier in the year on Friday night and failed to get a medal.  Bam was looking like the champ all year, coming off a runner-up finish at state and didn't get the job done.  Torres was coming off a runner-up finish in the state the year before and looking for a title and didn't get it done.

Rumph had a nice win Friday over Molloy in a match he wasn't favored in.  I'd say he overperformed.

McIntosh had a nice win in the semis over Vaughn to get into the title match.  I'd say he overperformed.

I'd say 2 of 7 left Bankers Life happy.  That's an under-performance in my book and far from "dialed in".

Edited by IndianaMudflap

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.