Nick Lee - college debut

SWINfan

Wrestling in the Edinboro Open today.  

Round of 32 - Beat Dresden Simon of Central Michigan 11-9.  Was apparently down 6-0 initially.

Round of 16 - Beat Kevin Kinyua of Mercyhurst TF 18-1

QuarterFinal - coming up vs. 4 seed Luke Karam of Lehigh

Lee wins by fall now in the Semis

Bracket:

http://arena.flowrestling.org/event/663ca705-2fb5-4772-b6a9-a1d04ff8ad16

I have missed a lot over the past year

I thought Lee was a Senior this year? I know he and his brother committed to Penn State and he is wrestling unattached?

Why is he not wrestling the HS season? JW

He graduated early from HS. He can now wrestle college open tournaments unattached which will prepare him better for next year as a true freshman or redshirt freshman for PSU.

Thanks! Thinking long term goals NCAA championshps, world, olympics

Love watching him and his brother compete!

Thanks! Thinking long term goals NCAA championshps, world, olympics

Love watching him and his brother compete!

He chose to move to PA and train at the Nittany Lion Training Center instead of his senior year.  He finished his schoolwork and graduated in December.  This is his first college tournament.  He wrestled in a Senior level tournament in the fall and won a couple of matches there, highlighted by defeating former NCAA 3rd Placer Alan Waters from Missouri.

Now onto the semis against RS Sr Zach Synon from Missouri.  He has qualified for the NCAA Championships twice going 2 & out each time.  He wrestled varsity as recently as Jan 8.  Looks like he was beaten out by Jaydin Eierman (sp?) who started the year at 133.  So Zynon was wrestling his redshirt year in college while Nick was in 8th grade.

Edited by SWINfan

Synon is no joke. Tough Illinois kid with length. Beat Nahshon Garrett 2 yes ago and has numerous big wins to his credit. I don't bet against Lee, though

You should have!  Synon wins by fall at 5:50.  I believe he was up 7-0 at the time.

Next up is Central Michigan's Reiley Brown in the 3rd Place Match.  Brown is a 2-time Michigan D3 State Champ.  

SwinFan thanks for all the info!!

Hoping to see Lee wrestling varsity next year but Cael knows what he's doing if he RS I think he can be a 3-4X champ

For PSU probably best to have him RS gets an extra year

Next few years will be fun to watch these Indiana wrestlers competing in college at an elite level!

Hoosier Pride

I had heard rumors of that...Best of luck to them both.  

I think it is less about rumors than logical deduction.  Nick is already there with grandmother and residence in place.  Why wouldn't Joe take the same path?  The only reason I could see it not happening is if at decision time, it is determined by the family not work it for Nick to have done so.  That doesn't appear to be the case, at least at this point.  Obviously, it's a decision the family has to make or may have already made, but outside of using a little logic, we'll all have to wait to know for sure.  

From what I know that family has always had a pretty clear path of what is best for them, so I'm sure whatever decision is made is what they feel is best for Joe as a person, student, and athlete.    Good Luck to Joe and Matt tomorrow, as well as, wherever the journey takes Joe next season.

Edited by MattM

If he returned his senior year he wouldn't be challenged at all. He would either win by fall or tech the entire field

Well if they ended up at the same weight that other Lee kid from #TheCounty is no slouch. I'd say that would at least be a challenge that probably wouldn't end in a techfall.

How about we just say Joe would likely see more gains from what the competition he would have through the Nittany Lion WC than by competing in-state.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.