US Freestyle Team Banned from Freestyle World Cup in Iran...

Fabio Jr.

Political tit for tat and the Americans just got some "Tat".   Then the wrestlers get screwed.     Its a shame because more than any other sport,  wrestling has always been able to break down political barriers.  Maybe both leaders need to rethink this.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

Wrestling was one of the best bonds the US and Iran had going.  Even through all the politics, I have constantly read how wrestling fans from both countries has been respectful and even at times supportive of wrestlers from the other nation.  This decision isn't helping to grow that comradery any.

Guys, I see enough political vomit on my Facebook feed, to the point of it being almost non-readable.  Please please please keep it off of here, it's my only escape!

Talk about the athletes, the politics of the decision, anything but pro- and anti- <*insert your choice Trump/Obama *>

Guys, I see enough political vomit on my Facebook feed, to the point of it being almost non-readable.  Please please please keep it off of here, it's my only escape!

Talk about the athletes, the politics of the decision, anything but pro- and anti- <*insert your choice Trump/Obama *>

M...M....M....Ma....Momma said the Facebook was the devil!

I was fortunate enough to make a trip to Iran with the US National Team in 2000. For a pure wrestling experience, this was the best trip I had been on. Passionate and knowledgeable fans, excellent food, VIP treatment, greeted at the airport by TV stations and the press, excellent competition. It was all about wrestling with very little else.

One of my best referee friends is Iranian. We used to joke about how closed minded our governments were. Today they proved it.

It is an absolute shame when politics gets in the way of good, ole fashioned competition.  :mellow: Reminds me of the Moscow Olympics boycott in the 1980s. 

The difference is that the USSR did not refuse our athletes entry, the country chose not to send them. They in turn chose not to send theirs in 1984. In both cases they would have been able to participate. Here the host country is refusing entry to participants.

Federal judge rules against the order so Iran lifted the ban. The only question is how long will it be before a appeal judge gets rushed the case in hopes of reinstating it? What does Iran decide to do with our World Cup Team if that happens?

Edited by MattM

It's a sad day when FloWrestling is considered a credible news source. Willie is ok, but Pyles is the perfect example of "give a guy a microphone abd he becomes an expert".

I assume this distaste stems from the "stats-based" lambasting of the officiating situations in Rio, where no research was done into how officials are actually assigned and no UWW rep or UWW mat official was interviewed or quoted.

I assume this distaste stems from the "stats-based" lambasting of the officiating situations in Rio, where no research was done into how officials are actually assigned and no UWW rep or UWW mat official was interviewed or quoted.

No, it comes from way before that. I think he is an arrogant and uniformed a$$. Other than that I'm fairly neutral on the guy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.