here is the link to watch black vs rumph

unclematt138

Following the official all over the mat showing him your arm seems to demonstrate you are looking for a call. I'm sure talking to the officials isn't against the rules, I guess I believe you should just shut up and wrestle/play. I'm sure he's a great kid. Hope we all get a chance to watch the rematch this weekend. Will someone please post again?

I had it 12-11 black

1st

Td rumph

Escape black

Td rumph

Escape black

Td rumph

6-2

2nd

Escape rumph

Takedown black

Escape rumph

8-4

3rd black escape (8-5) td rumph(10-5) escape black(10-6) 2td 2quick nf(10-10) 1escape(11-10) 2 td black (12-11)

I'm just a amateur official but that's how I had it

I can see 12-11 based on the breakdown provided above. But it all depends on how the headlock scramble was scored. I think there's an argument that Rumph had control after he popped off the headlock. And there's an argument that Black didn't have control when he pulled Rumph down by his lat and held him temporarily on his back right after that. But it looks like the referee did not think Rumph had control and thought that Black did as he gave Black 2 TD and 2 NF. 

I can see 12-11 based on the breakdown provided above. But it all depends on how the headlock scramble was scored. I think there's an argument that Rumph had control after he popped off the headlock. And there's an argument that Black didn't have control when he pulled Rumph down by his lat and held him temporarily on his back right after that. But it looks like the referee did not think Rumph had control and thought that Black did as he gave Black 2 TD and 2 NF.

Black had control 100%. Their isn't any question about that. That move is one of the best moves to hit when you are needing a pin. I thought the match was scores perfectly just thought it was very poorly controlled. I do believe that sellmer will be able to beat both of these guys if he wrestles his best. I think sellmer,Rumph,Black and Melloh are all pretty even and depends on who shows up and who gets the judgment calls from the ref that day lol

Following the official all over the mat showing him your arm seems to demonstrate you are looking for a call. I'm sure talking to the officials isn't against the rules, I guess I believe you should just shut up and wrestle/play. I'm sure he's a great kid. Hope we all get a chance to watch the rematch this weekend. Will someone please post again?

An intentional bite is an automatic disqualification. It's the official's job to interpret if it was intentional or not. I don't envision a scenario on earth where a kid doesn't show the official he's been bitten until the official is able to hear amidst the chaos and respond to make a decision. What other illegal holds should be "shut up and wrestle" situations in your opinion? When the decision was given, he went right back to wrestling. And when the situation happened with Rumph getting hurt near the scorer's table, he seemed genuinely concerned about Rumph's well-being. I've never met either kid and in fact I felt myself rooting for Rumph to pull the upset--but I had the opposite reaction as you guys: I really respect Black after watching how he handled those situations.

I really respect Black after watching how he handled those situations.

While I completely agree with you that the way Black went about the whole biting situation was correct and fair , I lost some respect in seeing him throw Rumph into the scorers table. While he may have seemed concerned after the fact, there is no doubt in my mind that it was intentional and that he only seemed "concerned" for Rumph's health because he realized he may have just caused himself a point or even the match.

While I completely agree with you that the way Black went about the whole biting situation was correct and fair , I lost some respect in seeing him throw Rumph into the scorers table. While he may have seemed concerned after the fact, there is no doubt in my mind that it was intentional and that he only seemed "concerned" for Rumph's health because he realized he may have just caused himself a point or even the match.

Fair enough

An intentional bite is an automatic disqualification. It's the official's job to interpret if it was intentional or not. I don't envision a scenario on earth where a kid doesn't show the official he's been bitten until the official is able to hear amidst the chaos and respond to make a decision. What other illegal holds should be "shut up and wrestle" situations in your opinion? When the decision was given, he went right back to wrestling. And when the situation happened with Rumph getting hurt near the scorer's table, he seemed genuinely concerned about Rumph's well-being. I've never met either kid and in fact I felt myself rooting for Rumph to pull the upset--but I had the opposite reaction as you guys: I really respect Black after watching how he handled those situations.

I would like to add to that... I have coached matches where biting was involved. The ref typically looks for top and bottom bite marks. Typically if you have one row of teeth marks, then it may not have been a bite. It may have been just skin rubbing against the mouth and teeth. Can you say, without a doubt, that there were top and bottom teeth marks in this incident? So... yes it is the refs job to interpret if it is an actual bite. Not saying it was or wasn't a bite.... just saying....

Edited by Mattyb

I think Black's emotions were definitely getting the best of him at times(I.e. Forcefully shrugging the ref off his shoulder at one point after he went out of bounds), but I didn't lose any respect for him. Tension gets high in matches like this and he may have had some bad judgment at times but when you're #1 and down by 4 points for the first time all year sometimes emotions get the best of you.

I think Black's emotions were definitely getting the best of him at times(I.e. Forcefully shrugging the ref off his shoulder at one point after he went out of bounds), but I didn't lose any respect for him. Tension gets high in matches like this and he may have had some bad judgment at times but when you're #1 and down by 4 points for the first time all year sometimes emotions get the best of you.

I would agree - it was a great match and as I watched it I also scored it 12-11 in Black's favor.

However, I would give Rumph the edge in a rematch. Without the headlock rollthrough + back points it is Rumph's match.  He has such an advantage in neutral, that is going to be difficult for Black to overcome in the next few weeks. If I were Portage coaches, I'm not sure I wouldn't choose Neutral rather than Bottom with the choice and play the takedown/let him up game as much as possible (and be ready to defend that 5 point move!)

I thought it was a helluva match that took entirely too long.  The stoppages drove me nuts.  I can't say how much the official could have changed that, but there seemed to be more chaos than necessary.  I'd love to see that kind of match without all of the delays.  Especially without Black puking in a bucket!  I'm sure he'd prefer that too.  

Black definitely rusty, first time pushed since Al Smith were he injury defaulted. Had a great puke during the match in second if I remember correctly. Rumph looked great on his feet but by end he looked more gassed than Brenden. This is gonna be a great next couple weeks for sure. We are all in for a great ride.

It wasn't an intentional push. Black said "he was going for a takedown" lol

Exciting match, hope both can clean it up and just give a great showing the next two or three weeks! Always an exciting match to watch. Everyone gets involved when these two are on the mat.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.