sectional realignment

takemtothemat

Nothing is official until the IHSAA anounces what they voted on.  Our Sectional was asked about our feelings on certain scenerios because the AD was on the board and he told us the vote has not happened yet.  For those that don't know this process happens every 4 years or so in every sport.  Sometimes no changes happen sometimes they do.

Edited by tskin

If it were up to me I would scrap the sectional all together, go immediately to 16 in some case 17 team regionals, with wrestle backs. Use the extra "Saturday" that would be available to push the IHSAA to bring back team state.

If it were up to me I'd be better at math. With 310 teams each "regional" in your scenario would have an average of 19 teams. On top of that you couldn't have full wrestle backs in one day with that big of a bracket.

You could do the Sectionals like they do with Basketball and Swimming. Start on Wednesday with a couple of rounds and finish on Saturday with the finals. You could eliminate half of the kids and forfeits on the first day, and the other half are the only ones that have to weight in twice.

You could do the Sectionals like they do with Basketball and Swimming. Start on Wednesday with a couple of rounds and finish on Saturday with the finals. You could eliminate half of the kids and forfeits on the first day, and the other half are the only ones that have to weight in twice.

Having a two day tournament for sectional is the ONLY way that it would work with full wrestle-backs.

If it were up to me I'd be better at math. With 310 teams each "regional" in your scenario would have an average of 19 teams. On top of that you couldn't have full wrestle backs in one day with that big of a bracket.

They would have to have a two day sectional to do that.    Would the IHSAA ever consider having a two day event for sectionals?      Maybe start in the afternoon around 2PM and the kids would miss a 1/2 day of school.     I know Indiana is funny about missing school for sports.  But it could be done.

32 sectionals (same size as current)- Take only the top 2.  Wrestle for True 2nd if 3rd placer hasn't faced the Runner-up.

This gets you down to 64 (4 semi-states of 16 each)- Take the top 4 with a full wrestleback.  Would need to wrestle the first round on Friday evening to avoid 5 match rule.

State with 16, same as semi-state except place 8.

Edited by RegionRoyalty

Having semi-state as two days would be more difficult since we rent out two big arenas for Evansville and Fort Wayne. Also add in that there are teams that travel 2+ hours for some semi-states that would be very much frowned upon by administrators and the IHSAA.

Then have a repechage-style wrestleback at the semi-state.  You get to wrestleback if the guy who beat you makes the finals.  1st round loser to finalist A vs. 2nd round loser to finalist A, winner faces the semifinal loser to finalist A to get into the 3rd place match.  1st round loser to finalist B vs. 2nd round loser to finalist B, winner faces the semifinal loser to finalist B to get into the 3rd place match.  Take the top 4.  This is only 4 extra matches per weight from our current system and does not require two days and cuts an entire week off the tournament.

Was using as an example, not necessary an exact number. Just a scenario in my mind.

You probably have told this to me or others before, but is the 310 including teams with a minimum amount of 1 wrestler or is the minimum greater?

You probably have told this to me or others before, but is the 310 including teams with a minimum amount of 1 wrestler or is the minimum greater?

This year there were 304 schools whose sectional scores counted because of having at least 3 kids wrestle. Every year there are about 310 entered.

This year there were 304 schools whose sectional scores counted because of having at least 3 kids wrestle. Every year there are about 310 entered.

Thank you! You wouldn't happen to know how many teams have 7+ wrestlers in a lineup? Just wanted to number crunch an idea for my personal curiousity. Just a direction to that information would be helpful and appreciated.

Has anyone ever thought about the idea of "crossing up" the two feeder sectionals from year to year based on how they finish the previous year?  For example at Peru and Oak Hill:

2017 Results

Oak Hill Sectional Results

1. Oak Hill

2. Western

3. Eastern

4. Marion

5. Kokomo

6. Eastbrook

7. Mississinewa

8. Madison-Grant

9. Taylor

Peru Sectional Results

1. Peru

2. Maconaquah

3. Manchester

4. Southwood

5. Northwestern

6. Wabash

7. Northfield

8. North Miami

2018 Sectional Realignment based on 2017 finishes.

Oak Hill Sectional

1. Oak Hill

2. Maconaquah

3. Eastern

4. Southwood

5. Kokomo

6. Wabash

7. Mississinewa

8. Taylor

Peru Sectional

1. Peru

2. Western

3. Manchester

4. Marion

5. Northwestern

6. Eastbrook

7. North Miami

8. Northfiled

9. Madison Grant

Just a thought.  

24 sectionals of 12-13 teams each (top 4 advance)

6 regionals with 16 per weight (top 4 advance)

24-man state finals bracket with a first round bye for 6 regional champs and 2 lucky #2's (I think they're dying to increase the turnout at state even more)

OR

32 sectionals "as is" (top 4 advance)

8 regionals with 16 per weight (top 3 OR 4 advance) (gives them the gate they want from a big semi-state type event)

24-man state finals bracket with a first round bye for 8 regional champs OR 32-man state finals bracket

Edited by maligned

Has anybody ever thought about aligning sectionals so they have a similar number of same sized schools.      You look at Mooresville, as it has mostly large schools or 3A under the classification or compare it to lake Oak Hill or Twin Lakes that has small schools.      Maybe some schools would have to drive farther, but could they move a few schools around.     I know the problem is you lose some of the local rivalries.   

Here is probably the easiest way to eliminate a week

16- 20 team sectionals(basically use current regional structure with some changes)

Friday night wrestle the 4 rat or pig tails and then the first round of 16- 12 matches per weight max. That would last about 3 hours total. Pig/rat tail losers are eliminated.

Saturday wrestle the rest of the tournament with full wrestle-backs with the top 4 advancing to semi-state.

Semi-states with 16 as usual

State with 16 as usual

Here is probably the easiest way to eliminate a week

16- 20 team sectionals(basically use current regional structure with some changes)

Friday night wrestle the 4 rat or pig tails and then the first round of 16- 12 matches per weight max. That would last about 3 hours total. Pig/rat tail losers are eliminated.

Saturday wrestle the rest of the tournament with full wrestle-backs with the top 4 advancing to semi-state.

Semi-states with 16 as usual

State with 16 as usual

This is exactly my thought, but of course without the math part. Or the Saturday with wrestle backs from the quarters you mentioned.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.