Jarred Brooks to fight at UFC 208.

Caleb Spires

This will be a tough fight on two weeks notice and outside his desired weight class.

He wins via decision

His desired weight class would be 125. He's been wanting to get into the ufc at 125. It might not be his optimal weight, but he's been asking for this for years. Edited by NICfan

McCall's a tough one to get on short notice. He's tough to finish so you know you'll need cardio. Also, until Brooks gets a little bigger, he could potentially struggle to have the same pop with his hands and explosiveness with his takedowns as he did at 115. This will be a very real litmus test, that's for sure.

McCall's a tough one to get on short notice. He's tough to finish so you know you'll need cardio. Also, until Brooks gets a little bigger, he could potentially struggle to have the same pop with his hands and explosiveness with his takedowns as he did at 115. This will be a very real litmus test, that's for sure.

Im hoping for a replay of Valencia suplexing Ian

I'd love to know how many of the "illnesses" or "injuries" are directly related to the idiotic ways those guys attempt to make weight. With a few of the things I've read and viewed, it shocks me that more don't die doing what they are doing to make weight. The long term health issues they will suffer also concerns me.

"Those guys"

You realize you are posting on a wrestling forum, right? We've never been know to do dumb things cutting weight. Not to mention the majority of "those guys" fighting in the ufc cutting crazy weight have professional dieticians/nutritionists as part of their team.

I'd disagree that most have dieticians or nutritionist. I can also assure you nothing I did ever caused my kidneys to fail, blood to appear in my urine, bouts of fainting, or my losing the ability to control my bowels, all things I've read and seen. If this was a normal part of your weight cutting, then more power to you. The way a large majority of these guys do it is dangerous.

I'd disagree that most have dieticians or nutritionist. I can also assure you nothing I did ever caused my kidneys to fail, blood to appear in my urine, bouts of fainting, or my losing the ability to control my bowels, all things I've read and seen. If this was a normal part of your weight cutting, then more power to you. The way a large majority of these guys do it is dangerous.

Not sure how closely you follow ufc or mma in general, but must guys at that level are with high profile gyms that certainly have those types of experts on staff, not just for weight management purposes but nutrition in general. While you may not have cut large amounts of water weight, you would have to be a blind man to deny that it happens regularly in wrestling, even with the hydration/body fat measurements. I don't know how old you are, but do you remember the college wrestlers that died within weeks of one another in the late 90's due to excessive weight cuts, which prompted permanent weight class changes?

I am in fact old enough to remember that happening. Most of the fighters do not have the means to afford nutritionist or dieticians, but the top guys most certainly do. Though even the top guys miss weight far too often in my opinion. We can agree to disagree, my point in posting was to ponder the number of fights that are cancelled simply because fighters did not properly cut weight. I think we can both agree trying to lose 20+ pounds in a week is insanity. Some of the literature I've read denotes this as a regular occurrence. Use the google machine if you have free time. I'm over this, it would have been cool to see Brooks tonight, hopefully he gets another opportunity.

I am in fact old enough to remember that happening. Most of the fighters do not have the means to afford nutritionist or dieticians, but the top guys most certainly do. Though even the top guys miss weight far too often in my opinion. We can agree to disagree, my point in posting was to ponder the number of fights that are cancelled simply because fighters did not properly cut weight. I think we can both agree trying to lose 20+ pounds in a week is insanity. Some of the literature I've read denotes this as a regular occurrence. Use the google machine if you have free time. I'm over this, it would have been cool to see Brooks tonight, hopefully he gets another opportunity.

I've been following mma for 20 years, those types of weight cuts are commonplace in high level mma, often over shorter time periods than 1 week. That is why the ufc recently banned iv rehydration. It is what it is, these guys are paid to cut weight and then perform at a high level while amateur wrestlers do it for the love of the sport. Just seemed a bit hypocritical to call out "those guys" when wrestling is the top base for mma (with some of the worst weight cutting offenders being wrestlers), as well as extreme weight cutting being endemic in wrestling at all levels. I was looking forward to this fight, even with Brooks fighting above his optimal weight.

I sure hope he got paid after all his family and friends traveled out there to watch him just for McCall to drop out. You don't just "happen" to drop out of 5-6 fights in a row. Dude should hang it up if he's gonna duck and dodge. Feel sorry for Brooks.

Please look up the history of his cancelled fights, the majority were due to his opponent or legitimate injuries

Man you literally just recalled how I remember college wrestling, and some HS

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.