ihsaa moving sectional and regional from calumet

bonehead63

Not sure why the shake-up but it seems this will be the last foreseeable sectional and regional at Calumet.

Supposedly the ihssa has not given explanation other than its moving out .

I do know that Calumet was the last of the 4 Northwest Indiana sectionals to be finished on Saturday.  LaPorte was done at 2:15pm.  Crown Point was done at 3:15pm.  East Chicago was done at 3:45pm.  Calumet was done at 4:45pm.  

Calumet was also the only Region sectional to not use TrackWrestling at the scorers tables at matside.  They were using paper bout cards and running the results to a central computer who was entering them into TrackWrestling.  It seems most everyone else in the state uses TrackWrestling to score the bouts live at the tables.

These two factors could have something to do with it.

I do know that Calumet was the last of the 4 Northwest Indiana sectionals to be finished on Saturday.  LaPorte was done at 2:15pm.  Crown Point was done at 3:15pm.  East Chicago was done at 3:45pm.  Calumet was done at 4:45pm.  

Calumet was also the only Region sectional to not use TrackWrestling at the scorers tables at matside.  They were using paper bout cards and running the results to a central computer who was entering them into TrackWrestling.  It seems most everyone else in the state uses TrackWrestling to score the bouts live at the tables.

They are smart over dare/ took long breaks - sell more food at da consesion stand. / Day got to pay for dat new football turf !! 

Nobody lie to yourselves.  It did not matter what Wadkins did regarding running the tournament, Merrillville lost their Semi-State and the IHSAA made a deal with Janis and Amy (that they will get the Sectional and Regional when the IHSAA realigns teams next year).  #conspiracytheory 

The caterer for the event was late delivering the refs and admins their food, though the refs were the real reason especially that Ray Pettit guy (don't ban me for calling out a ref!  It was an ongoing joke that he was the reason).  That is why we took that 2 hour break.

And the funniest of all, Calumet was the only sectional in the state I believe to not live score.  While they had the person with the most amount of experience running live scored events (on TW) at the school all day.  Now everyone who uses the Stats program gets to put all of that info in post meet.

Edited by leggin89

Griffith has been told that they will host even years and Hobart has odd years sectional s. I haven't heard about regional but I'll bet Merrillville is in the mix. There are factors I'm sure. But, traditionally the Calumet sectional has had to deal with team lineup issues and ridiculous scratch changes , in which coach wadkins has ALWAYS handled admirably with the "no wrestler left behind approach. There was a couple things that happened Friday night and Saturday morning that was handled without a second thought. The calumet crew has the experience in which is unmatched. I don't care what anyone says, Calumet has the perfect wrestling venue and I heard is going to have a facelift this year to match their outdoor sports facilities. Also, having the track concourse atop the gym also gives much appreciated elbow-room that a lot of gyms do not have, leaving the bleachers a very uncomfortable place to be and the size of Calumets place gives plenty of open space to spread out and not be cramped in bleachers either. It is centrally located and is tradition for the teams in that sectional to compete there.

This past weekend did have a hold up during the break but did not have anything to do with pairings I was told. John Bogner has been there 17 seasons and attested that Wadkins has handled ridiculous things Saturday morning with no problems.

So, using track probably would've been a nightmare come whistle time.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. Griffith absolutely does not have an inviting place imo and Hobart is nice but still really can't get out of the bleachers and watch from anywhere or get out of the bleachers unless you go into cafeteria. Same issue, no concourse and cramped feeling . At LEAST keep the regional at Calumet if nothing else if the motive is about spreading the money around.

Combine experience, venue, lactation, tradition , and tenure, there is no better place than Calumet!

Hobart also has a walk area in the upper part of the gym surrounded by glass. One thing I do know is that Calumet has done a great job with the sect. and reg. over the years. Now with the new sectional realignment, maybe it is time to pass the torch. For anyone who saw Hobart during the year, we make it a great atmosphere to have a tournament, great concessions, Jumbotron, plenty of seating, and last but not least a spotlight finals. If Hobart gets either the sectional or regional we will be excited. IF it stays at calumet, we will not be upset what so ever because Coach Wadkins and company have done a great job! We have not yet been told any news on this subject.

Griffith has been told that they will host even years and Hobart has odd years sectional s. I haven't heard about regional but I'll bet Merrillville is in the mix. There are factors I'm sure. But, traditionally the Calumet sectional has had to deal with team lineup issues and ridiculous scratch changes , in which coach wadkins has ALWAYS handled admirably with the "no wrestler left behind approach. There was a couple things that happened Friday night and Saturday morning that was handled without a second thought. The calumet crew has the experience in which is unmatched. I don't care what anyone says, Calumet has the perfect wrestling venue and I heard is going to have a facelift this year to match their outdoor sports facilities. Also, having the track concourse atop the gym also gives much appreciated elbow-room that a lot of gyms do not have, leaving the bleachers a very uncomfortable place to be and the size of Calumets place gives plenty of open space to spread out and not be cramped in bleachers either. It is centrally located and is tradition for the teams in that sectional to compete there.
This past weekend did have a hold up during the break but did not have anything to do with pairings I was told. John Bogner has been there 17 seasons and attested that Wadkins has handled ridiculous things Saturday morning with no problems.
If it's not broke, don't fix it. Griffith absolutely does not have an inviting place imo and Hobart is nice but still really can't get out of the bleachers and watch from anywhere or get out of the bleachers unless you go into cafeteria. Same issue, no concourse and cramped feeling . At LEAST keep the regional at Calumet if nothing else if the motive is about spreading the money around.
Combine experience, venue, lactation, tradition , and tenure, there is no better place than Calumet!

But, traditionally the Calumet sectional has had to deal with team lineup issues and ridiculous scratch changes , in which coach wadkins has ALWAYS handled admirably with the "no wrestler left behind approach.  John Bogner has been there 17 seasons and attested that Wadkins has handled ridiculous things Saturday morning with no problems.  The calumet crew has the experience in which is unmatched.  So, using track probably would've been a nightmare come whistle time.

Calumet is not the only inner-city sectional in the state (or the Region for that matter) that has to deal with scratches and changes the morning of the tournament.  Everyone else uses TrackWrestling without a problem.  Calumet, for whatever reason, chooses to use paper bout cards instead.  A few years ago, Calumet changed their name to "Calumet New Tech High School".  They implemented one-to-one student laptops and an alternative learning and teaching style which was technology based.  That, my friends, is called irony.

To say the Calumet crew has experience which is "unmatched" is also a stretch.  Merrillville ran a semi-state (4x larger than a regional) for 30+ years like clockwork.  It would still be there if not for a disgruntled fire marshal.  Lake Central runs a great event every December at their place called the Harvest Classic.  There are other schools in the Region that know how to run a tournament and use the most current technology (TrackWrestling) to do so.

Also, from a fan's perspective, I agree the extra elbow room is nice at Calumet.  However, from most seats you can only see one side of the scoreboard, and at most, two sides.  This can make it difficult for fans trying to follow scoring on 3 mats.  There are also sight line issues where the mat closest to you is partially blocked when you're sitting in the upper bleachers.  In addition, parking at Calumet is also a nightmare.

Edited by RegionRoyalty

I obvisouly enjoyed the event at calumet. I haven't been the last couple years. It's a great tradition. Coach wadkins does a good job. I know he was disappointed he was one of the last to find out. Change will always be tough. I'm sure if the new sites need help he will be willing to help.

Calumet is not the only inner-city sectional in the state (or the Region for that matter) that has to deal with scratches and changes the morning of the tournament.  Everyone else uses TrackWrestling without a problem.  Calumet, for whatever reason, chooses to use paper bout cards instead.  A few years ago, Calumet changed their name to "Calumet New Tech High School".  They implemented one-to-one student laptops and an alternative learning and teaching style which was technology based.  That, my friends, is called irony.

To say the Calumet crew has experience which is "unmatched" is also a stretch.  Merrillville ran a semi-state (4x larger than a regional) for 30+ years like clockwork.  It would still be there if not for a disgruntled fire marshal.  Lake Central runs a great event every December at their place called the Harvest Classic.  There are other schools in the Region that know how to run a tournament and use the most current technology (TrackWrestling) to do so.

Also, from a fan's perspective, I agree the extra elbow room is nice at Calumet.  However, from most seats you can only see one side of the scoreboard, and at most, two sides.  This can make it difficult for fans trying to follow scoring on 3 mats.  There are also sight line issues where the mat closest to you is partially blocked when you're sitting in the upper bleachers.  In addition, parking at Calumet is also a nightmare.

And ticked off fans in the upper deck who only saw half the mats for the first two rounds.  Although it felt like the Gestapo at times, Merrillville did run a top notch tournament. In SOME respects I miss the semi state being there. 

Track was used.  Live scoring is only a small part of the TW system.  The brackets were being updated by John, just were not live for everyone (outside of the arena) to see.

The crew at Calumet offers a no nonsense type feeling when running a tournament.  They take care of their core values for the sport without the fluff that could come along with it.  The AD and all the administrators at Calumet are some of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of working with.  If you need something from them, they will be willing to help you to the best of their ability.

Lake Central does run a heck of an event in the Harvest Classic. But I will be honest, I don't see Josh Morgan at LC saying he wants to host Regionals (I am not talking for him, just would not want it if I were him). Rarely do teams jump up and down to want to run these types of tournaments when they find out how much work it is.  Just look over at Merrillville, last year at ECC Dave Maldonado was in an awesome mood, because his day did not start at 3 AM to get ready for hosting the event.  Wadkins does/did an awesome job, and it really is a shame that the IHSAA is taking it away from him (without giving any type of justification or even just coming out and telling him).

From a fan's prospective, you know what you are getting.  It is spacious, but there are some issues with seeing the scoreboards, sure.  The nice thing was that 3 sides of the scoreboard were on, one had Mat 1 and 2 sides had Mat 2.  Mat 3 had a standalone scoreboard on the table that allowed everyone in the gym to see.

Same issues will happen anywhere.  This is one of the things that you will learn, gyms were built for basketball, we just try to make them work as best as possible for us.

And ticked off fans in the upper deck who only saw half the mats for the first two rounds.  Although it felt like the Gestapo at times, Merrillville did run a top notch tournament. In SOME respects I miss the semi state being there. 

You must be into pain and torture !!! Cramped quarters , poor viewing, high priced food, and the nasty administrators.  It was a crime it went on for years. 

I've been attending the Calumet regional for a long time and first Coach Watkins is one of the most respected coaches in the state and has done many great things for the sport.

That being said if you are attending the regional you usually don't have to hurry as it hardly ever starts on time. And like the sectional this regional is one of (if not the last) regional in the state to finish.

One thing I do miss, is the movie they used to play in the cafeteria.

I'm surprised he's not already in. Considering he's coached many more state placers and champions than other coaches already in.

Yea I think not only his success but where he has had his success and his impact on the community. Obviously I don't want to hijack this post. I know he takes a lot of pride in running the sectional and regional. I also know hobart and merrillville will do a great job if those are the locations. Both schools have very nice gyms and have ran tourneys well in the past.

Coach jim wadkins should be in the hall of fame.

I agree.  He's done a ton for Region wrestling.  He's coached a couple individual state champions.  He started the Lake County Tournament.  The Traicoff at Calumet has been a huge success.  I've always been a fan of his passion for the history of Region wrestling.  He has honored past Region state champs at the first Lake County Tournament, he honored Coach Richard Jay after his passing, and he honored Harry Colias after his passing.  No doubt that Jim Wadkins is a standup dude.  I don't think anyone believes that the removal of the sectional and regional from Calumet is, in any way, an indictment of him or his character.

Sectionals should rotate between all the schools at it! Unfair home advantage to the host. Perfect example, Plymouth would probably not have won sectionals if it was not in front of their home crowd. Kids get excited about wrestling in their backyard.

Be careful what you ask for! Some schools/administrations shouldn't have the responsibility of hosting anything. 

Sectionals should rotate between all the schools at it! Unfair home advantage to the host. Perfect example, Plymouth would probably not have won sectionals if it was not in front of their home crowd. Kids get excited about wrestling in their backyard.

Not all schools (even some 6A schools) have a gym large enough to host a Sectional.  And not all programs have the parent and administrative support to run it effectively.  I think the benefits of a "hometown crowd" are fairly offset by the challenges of hosting it.

Not all schools (even some 6A schools) have a gym large enough to host a Sectional.  And not all programs have the parent and administrative support to run it effectively.  I think the benefits of a "hometown crowd" are fairly offset by the challenges of hosting it.

I respectfully disagree......there are not to many gyms that can't hold 3 mats and support the crowds at a sectional. Both sectional and our conference were won by the host team, in very tight results (the 1-2 match difference kind of stuff). Nothing against either of these teams, I know it sounded that way but wasn't meant to be a derogatory comment toward Plymouth or Northridge.

Plus with the push to have more home/dual tournaments during the week, wouldn't it be just as important to host a sectional once and a while? Maybe even include regionals in this discussion. If you can fit 2 sectionals into Rochester Gym, than you can fit sectionals or regionals in most if not all gyms.

Edited by warsawwrestling

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.