Alternates

RichardMowery

Oh yes it has. Several years ago a Leo wrestler was the alternate at semi state, and when there was an opening in his weight class he got the opportunity to compete. He won his opener, and was beaten by the eventual champion and became the alternate for state. Same thing happened the next week. At state he was on weight and ready and he slipped into the field  when there was an opening. To my recollection he won on Friday night and placed in the top 8! After graduation he walked on at a very prestigious wrestling program. Anyone remember his name?

Mark Toarmina would be my guess and he wrestled for Oklahoma State

http://indianamat.com/index.php/page/wrestler_detail.html/_/graduated/mark-toarmina-r6210

However, my records show he did not place in 1932, but was an alternate. They only placed the top 4 back in those days.

1982...became state runner-up in 1983. Placed 4th in 1981.

Brendon Black an alternate a few years back and place 8th, could have placed 7th but injured defaulted because Lahue that was hurt. He got FF on Friday night because Hudkins had medical issues from migraine and flu (for Pug, I didn't want him having kittens) Diabetes. Black got in because of Torres's slam of Hartman, who injured out of state.

Edited by warsawwrestling

1969 South Bend Sectional.  The late Robert L. Foster,  Indiana State Wrestler, Hall of Fame Official, was a 2nd place finisher at Heavyweight for South Bend Riley in the sectional.  South Bend  Washington Heavyweight Jerry Demeyer defeated Bob in the finals of the 16 team event.  Now in those days, only the champion moved on and only the regional champion moved on to the state. Regional champions were at worst a fourth place finisher. 

To make a long story short, Demeyer came up sick early in the week prior to the EC Regional and Riley was contacted to have Foster ready. This regional was comparable to the East Chicago Semistate, now a days pretty much the same schools fed into this regional as they do now. Robert dominates the field at HYW at this regional to advance to the State Finals.  He draws eventual State Champion from Muncie Central, Pete Lee.  Lee defeats  Robert 10-4 as Foster wins his consolation bout to finish 3rd.  Lee would go on to finish 5th in the '76 Olympics at Greco Heavyweight.  Foster also wrestled Pete Lee at least twice as Ball State and Indiana State wrestled each other in the early '70's.  Great trivia!

He got FF on Friday night because "Hudkins had medical issues from Diabetes".

In the future, if you have no idea as to what you are talking about, please don't post it on the message board. Especially if you're commenting on a kid's medical issue. It's irresponsible and you're incorrect in your diagnosis.

He got FF on Friday night because "Hudkins had medical issues from Diabetes".

In the future, if you have no idea as to what you are talking about, please don't post it on the message board. Especially if you're commenting on a kid's medical issue. It's irresponsible and you're incorrect in your diagnosis.

Sorry, migraine and flu. His mom put the information out there back when it happened, sorry I have slept since then. Not sure why I was thinking diabetes, but a simple you were wrong would have done.  The post wasn't about him or what happened to him, just like the topic.......it's about alternates! But I'm going to guess that was just an error so I won't call you out on being off topic!

The rest of it was correct, I hope. I'm sure if it isn't you will let me know. Just FYI, like you I will post when and how I want! But thanks for the advice!

Edited by warsawwrestling

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.