This bracket can not be right

decbell1

Saw this on another thread and wanted to make a new topic:

At 120 in the LC Sectional there are five wrestlers and three forfeits. 

Yet, in the first round, a 10-1 kids is wrestling the two seed who is 26-3. 

Datrion Vaughn is not seeded, and two forfeits are seeded 5th and 6th. 

How is this possible?

Those aren't the original brackets. For example, I saw an earlier set of brackets where Steele of LC was seeded first at 152. I was told 2nd hand that the LC coach didn't turn in some kind of weigh-in(?) paper work making the LC wrestlers ineligible for seeding. Therefore, the LC seeds were taken away. Again, that is just 2nd hand information, so take it as such.

I was told 2nd hand that the LC coach didn't turn in some kind of weigh-in(?) paper work making the LC wrestlers ineligible for seeding. Therefore, the LC seeds were taken away. Again, that is just 2nd hand information, so take it as such.

If true that seems like in certain weights its hurting some of the field chances more than LC's.   I don't have the best answer for a punishment if a coach messed up like that, but I'm not sure putting top wrestlers unseeded would be my top choice.  Not ideal but maybe put those wrestles in the 6th spot if they were previously seeded.  That at least avoids some of the "draw in" problems that could eliminate a high seed wrestler if their is a pig-tail match.

Edited by MattM

According to the sectional seed meeting tutorial (http://www.ihsaa.net/seedingmeetingtutorial/story.html)...

"A coaches' failure to have his official team scorebook and his weigh-in sheets shall result in his school's entries being unseeded unless a majority of the other coaches present wish to seed the offending school's wrestlers."

If this rule was followed, the other coaches would have been in a position to protect their wrestlers and avoid the possibility of wrestling a highly seeded wrestler who became "unseeded".

Either way, our state's governing body cares little for its coaches and athletes. I won't be surprised by any rulings going forward, some of this stuff seems made up on the spot. It's like one of those wheels you spin for a punishment/dare. "Ohhhh, you landed on "All wrestlers unseeded", sorry about your luck. At least you didn't land on "Termination of wrestling program". 

I understand why rules exist and I follow them about 99.9% of the time. However, life happens and as humans we should recognize that unique circumstances may call for slight variations in interpretation and execution. 

X Pairings and Seeding

A. Sectional pairings and seeding will be made at 7:00 p.m. on the Monday preceding the sectional tournament at the center school.

1. Each participating school in that sectional may have only 1 representative voting. Positions of contestants from schools not represented will be drawn by lot.

2. Six contestants shall be seeded in each weight class. Coaches are required to bring their official team scorebook and all of their Alpha Master Reports for each season contest date. A coaches’ failure to have his official team scorebook and his Alpha Master Reports shall result in his school’s entries being unseeded unless a majority of the other coaches present wish to seed the offending school’s wrestlers.

What exactly did he not bring to the seeding meeting?

My question is, if the coach didn't have all the weigh-in info with him, how could he show that all his wrestlers were eligible for the weight classes he entered them in? If that is the case, how are they eligible at all?

This is just a question as I don't know how all the seeding stuff goes.

And what stops a coach from not bringing their alpha sheets just to get a kid into an illegal weight class? Seeded or unseeded the coach probably would not care except for the whole not coaching in the state series.

If they are in an illegal weight class then the wrestler would be pulled from the tournament.

This thread has one fact and that is the LC kids are sitting funny in the brackets. The rest of the posts are speculations or support for speculations.

I think it has been verified that the coach did not provide all the proper information, including weigh-in information, at least at the seedings meeting.

Fact: All the LC wrestlers were originally seeded. 

Fact: IHSAA says they can't be seeded because LC wrestlers don't have 6 qualifying weigh ins. (Because of clerical error) Although we know darn well they weighed in. 

Fact: IHSAA decides not to punish the kids and imposes that all LC wrestlers are drawn into the 7 or 8 spot. Which in turn screws the entire sectional up and domino effects to the regional

Fact: The winter bulletin is worthless and contradicts itself. Wrestlers have to have 6 qualifying weigh ins in order to be entered in the tournament. Then later says wrestler without 6 qualifying weigh ins can't be seeded. 

Fact: The IHSAA will pick and choose which rules they want to follow. 

Fact: There isn't anyway to logically reason with the IHSAA. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.