Indiana's Most Dominant Big Man, EVER?

navy80

On the topic of most dominant big man, it is much easier to dominate at 215/220 than heavyweight. Heavyweights have such a wide variety of opponents. Think about the short stocky, tall and thick, small and athletic, etc heavyweights that are out there. No other weight has to adjust to such varying body types and skill sets than heavyweight.

Yep, but at this point, he wouldn't have had one yet

True...but he would be a junior that we would all expect to win 2 titles, so I was responding to the "best never to win a title" suggestion. I doubt the topic would have come up because he would have only come up short twice so far.

I know we have had a few really good 215/220lb wrestlers in the last 20 years.  College ready wrestlers just just weren't able to show their skills at the next level due to the weight classes splits.  To heavy for 197 and too light to contend with college level HWT talent.

No your are right Maurer doesn't belong in thi's topic because he is the only 4 time state championship that indiana has that went from both ends on the spectrum on size.

And before you say that he wasn't a small guy 130 isn't a big guy...

Just my opinion.

And Dexter Larimore was also a 2x time state champ I believe along with the already mentioned runner up as well.

Edited by In The Bleachers

No your are right Maurer doesn't belong in thi's topic because he is the only 4 time state championship that indiana has that went from both ends on the spectrum on size.

And before you say that he wasn't a small guy 130 isn't a big guy...

Just my opinion.

And Dexter Larimore was also a 2x time state champ I believe along with the already mentioned runner up as well.

Dexter was a 3x Finalist with 1 Title.

i dont know if he is the best of all time but i can tell you this mason is the most humble kid that i have ever met and the crazy thing is he might be a better football player. but the best thing about him is he is a great person he is never too busy to talk to a youth wrestler or get his picture taken with them. lets not put a bigger bulleye on him than he already has. good luck this year mason as your real season is about to start i know my kid and i will be cheering you on!!

That's what I am thinking Joe never said a bad thing about Gunner! He simply stated that in the last 2 years Evan Ellis has beat him therefore not making it a lock I mean I don't care if they have wrestled 100 times and Gunner has won 75 of them it still means you can't make him a lock! So why try to spin it like all poor Avon we never get any love and Joe is being mean because he showed facts that he was beaten in the off season I mean come on

Thanks for clarification.

No problem.  Dexter was definitely one of the best.  His two losses in the finals were to a couple of pretty impressive big guys as well.  A 3-2 loss to Kasten and pinned by Ruggeri in 1:10.

The thing I always ask about "locks" , they all have keys to open them, question is, Do you possess that key?

Edited by XCard

lol

In all fairness to Streck, it's very difficult to "dominate" at HWT. The style of wrestling doesn't really lend itself to dominance. Most of the matches are low scoring because it's a lot of locking up and circling. Streck was the anomaly in that he was athletic enough to create offense from a few different shots, but I just don't think dominant when I remember his state finals runs. Steck would be in my personal Hall of Very Good. Huge fan of his by the way and a very impressive career for a 4 year HWT.

Dude what are you talking about? I had at least 3 including myself nationally ranked kids in my first three years freshman year Wes donte and Eric hemmelgarn soph hemmelgarn who I beat, Wes, and Norman oglesby, and me junior year junior year me Norman and trawick. I wasn't surprised or scared to wrestle Gelen I knew it was coming and I was looking forward to the challenge. Just to clarify your post

Appreciate it, and in no way was I disrespecting the kid, he's just not in the conversation for me. His track record as a junior and senior speak for themselves. Perhaps his success made it look so easy, or his lack of a real opponent the last two years hurts him in my eyes, or a combo of the two? His statistics are second to none, I could see how an argument could be made, especially by a Pirate. :)

Side note: Gelen beat a baby Streck 2 times, so there is that head to head data, albeit when Streck was an underclassman and Gelen was a Junior and Senior. Loved Streck's face the one year when he realized Gelen was bumping up. To say he was not thrilled would be an understatement.

Dude what are you talking about? I had at least 3 including myself nationally ranked kids in my first three years freshman year Wes donte and Eric hemmelgarn soph hemmelgarn who I beat, Wes, and Norman oglesby, and me junior year junior year me Norman and trawick. I wasn't surprised or scared to wrestle Gelen I knew it was coming and I was looking forward to the challenge. Just to clarify your post

Calm down there Big Fella, I didn't even mention your first 2 years because it's hard to dominate when you've taken losses, I'm not discrediting the fact that you had studs to push you the first 2 years. I said that you were perhaps a product of your own success the last 2 years, meaning you made it look easy on the mat. Never said you were scared to wrestle G, just said the match at Merrillville you didn't look thrilled, I'd even call it upset. Perhaps you were getting mentally prepared, who knows. Either way, it's a discussion and I personally have Mr. G ahead of you in my all-time greats, his 2 head to head wins being a deciding factor, which is why I brought them up and quantified them by saying it happened when you were young. 

You tell 'em Streck!

Hey SportsfanGMS, tell him what you said about college kids posting on a wrestling message board while away at school in the thread titled

"discussion board topics 17 years ago this week"

I said I had no interest in posting while I was in college. Dude, you are really, really good at reading and comprehending. I'm sure you attended a solid community college. 

If you ever watched "Streck",  his matches weren't just slow cumbersome low scoring affairs or the "typical HWT style".    Streck was a takedown machine.  Not only did he have blast doubles, but he had an array of other sleek takedowns you normally would see little guys do.  I saw him tech are state level HWT just on takedowns.    I bet he led Merrillville in takedowns a few seasons.   That's why he was so dominant.  Of course he also his share of some pins.

Edited by Wrestling Scholar

It's tough to break down eras. I know a lot of guys live in the past saying that their time was tougher then it is now. I'm not one of those guys. My time frame 1998-now. I'll break it by weight

189/195 I think Nate Moore Perry meridian has to be in the mix. He was a absolute beast beat obrien a couple times. I'm sure some Perry guys can list his national accomplishments.

Also even tho I wasn't his biggest fan and his college career isn't as out standing as his high school

Mitch sliga 2x champ and a lot of national success.

220- Gelen Robinson is a freak of nature. 2x champ 3rd his national success is limited but much like Paris he is a beast in multiple sports. Gelen closed distance better then anyone I have ever seen. Maybe not the most polished wrestler but a freak athlete.

Mason is still building his resume. He will go down as a great and has Blount together a amazing career so far. I would still love to see Mason vs gable match which could have been a nice rivalry.

285- Shawn is a the best I feel like I have seen. He displayed pure dominance his final 2 years. He would push the pace as good or better then any 285 I have seen. For a career it's almost unheard of what he accomplish plus he represented Indiana in the Pittsburgh wrestling classic(former dapper dan) how many other 285's have done that?

No one is angry just clarifying things. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and obviously some people know more than other Haha okay no more posting from the busy college kid. Have a great day!

Calm down there Big Fella, I didn't even mention your first 2 years because it's hard to dominate when you've taken losses, I'm not discrediting the fact that you had studs to push you the first 2 years. I said that you were perhaps a product of your own success the last 2 years, meaning you made it look easy on the mat. Never said you were scared to wrestle G, just said the match at Merrillville you didn't look thrilled, I'd even call it upset. Perhaps you were getting mentally prepared, who knows. Either way, it's a discussion and I personally have Mr. G ahead of you in my all-time greats, his 2 head to head wins being a deciding factor, which is why I brought them up and quantified them by saying it happened when you were young.

I said I had no interest in posting while I was in college. Dude, you are really, really good at reading and comprehending. I'm sure you attended a solid community college.

If you ever watched "Streck", his matches weren't just slow cumbersome low scoring affairs or the "typical HWT style". Streck was a takedown machine. Not only did he have blast doubles, but he had an array of other sleek takedowns you normally would see little guys do. I saw him tech are state level HWT just on takedowns. I bet he led Merrillville in takedowns a few seasons. That's why he was so dominant. Of course he also his share of some pins.

I agree he was a different type of heavy much like Wes Bernard

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.