Indiana's Most Dominant Big Man, EVER?

navy80

Never claimed he was one of the best. He has lost more matches than you can count. Just pointed out something that was left out. You must not read from the beginning. 

ClownBaby might not read from the beginning, but he reads between the lines.

Along with Chad from MV would be Andy Schneider...2x undefeated HWT state champ. 

It is hard to say all time when there hasn't been a 215 or 220 weight class forever.  Schneider was a beast and very dominate, but how about the guy he beat in the finals both years?  Hummel was a stud and was tiny compared to Schneider.  It would be like Parris wrestling Streck in the finals the last two seasons.

My man Gelen Robinson would be my pick as best big man ever. That Robinson family is just a group of professional athletes. It blows my mind. Also, O'Brien comes in at a close 2nd place, based upon becoming a professional athlete after wrestling. Gelen will obviously be a big NFL prospect once his career at Purdue is done.

In all fairness to Streck, it's very difficult to "dominate" at HWT. The style of wrestling doesn't really lend itself to dominance.  Most of the matches are low scoring because it's a lot of locking up and circling.  Streck was the anomaly in that he was athletic enough to create offense from a few different shots, but I just don't think dominant when I remember his state finals runs.  Steck would be in my personal Hall of Very Good. Huge fan of his by the way and a very impressive career for a 4 year HWT. 

A refresher sportsfangms, which I am a huge fan of your posts myself.

2016 Finals Run

d. B. Amos, FALL :38, d. Klem, FALL 1:49, d. I. McWilliams FALL :37(Who is #1 this year?), and Samuals 9-5(Pinned him earlier in the year in less than :40, hats off to game planning for the rematch)

2015 FInals Run

d. Hiestand, FALL 3:34. d. York FALL 1:20, d. Biddle FALL 4:27, and d. Trawick FALL 5:34

2014 he lost to Wesley Bernard. (Eventual Champ)

2013 he lost to Donte Winfield. (1-0 who also was eventual champ.)

8 Falls in his 4 years in the 285 division at the State Tournament. He definitely belongs in this conversation. Not many guys can maintain this level over a 4 year career at this weight class.  

Edited by XCard

A refresher sportsfangms, which I am a huge fan of your posts myself.

2016 Finals Run

d. B. Amos, FALL :38, d. Klem, FALL 1:49, d. I. McWilliams FALL :37(Who is #1 this year?), and Samuals 9-5(Pinned him earlier in the year in less than :40, hats off to game planning for the rematch)

2015 FInals Run

d. Hiestand, FALL 3:34. d. York FALL 1:20, d. Biddle FALL 4:27, and d. Trawick FALL 5:34

2014 he lost to Wesley Bernard. (Eventual Champ)

2013 he lost to Donte Winfield. (1-0 who also was eventual champ.)

8 Falls in his 4 years in the 285 division at the State Tournament. He definitely belongs in this conversation. Not many guys can maintain this level over a 4 year career at this weight class.  

Appreciate it, and in no way was I disrespecting the kid, he's just not in the conversation for me. His track record as a junior and senior speak for themselves. Perhaps his success made it look so easy, or his lack of a real opponent the last two years hurts him in my eyes, or a combo of the two? His statistics are second to none, I could see how an argument could be made, especially by a Pirate.  :)

Side note: Gelen beat a baby Streck 2 times, so there is that head to head data, albeit when Streck was an underclassman and Gelen was a Junior and Senior. Loved Streck's face the one year when he realized Gelen was bumping up. To say he was not thrilled would be an understatement. 

Edited by sportsfangms

I remember watching him dunk at semistate during lunch break. Athletic freak. Awesome to watch too

Chico had one of the craziest pins I've ever seen at semistate. He was literally standing up and had his hand only on his opponents chest and earned the fall.

If you're not just speaking about in state competition, though still while in high school..

Jeff Pease- Muncie Southside 

Class of '91

National

1989 275 Junior Freestyle Nationals 1st
1989 275 Junior Greco Nationals 1st
1988 242 Cadet Freestyle Nationals 1st
1988 242 Cadet Greco Nationals 1st
1987 242 Cadet Freestyle Nationals 5th
1987 242 Cadet Greco Nationals 1st

BreakfastClub you beat me to the punch.   Pease was incredibly dominant on a national level and caught a couple of tough breaks as a Junior and a Senior.   I think the deal was he was called for a slam at Semi-State as a Junior and the kid did not go on so he was DQ'd.   Fairly certain that was the case.   As a senior he broke his ankle in the practice room very early in the season and came back on a bum ankle and wrestled a handful of matches prior to the state tournament.  He was still hobbled pretty good at state.

BreakfastClub you beat me to the punch.   Pease was incredibly dominant on a national level and caught a couple of tough breaks as a Junior and a Senior.   I think the deal was he was called for a slam at Semi-State as a Junior and the kid did not go on so he was DQ'd.   Fairly certain that was the case.   As a senior he broke his ankle in the practice room very early in the season and came back on a bum ankle and wrestled a handful of matches prior to the state tournament.  He was still hobbled pretty good at state.

A beast indeed.

Obviously I'm too young to know the all-time greats but I will say I saw something special in Parris his Friday night against Kleimola as a freshman. I instantly thought he'd have a shot at being one of the best in indiana history and headed toward a resume of a 1-loss(by a point to an undefeated senior state champ), 3xer I'd say he would be one of the all-time Indiana greats--and not just of the big men.

Obviously I'm too young to know the all-time greats but I will say I saw something special in Parris his Friday night against Kleimola as a freshman. I instantly thought he'd have a shot at being one of the best in indiana history and headed toward a resume of a 1-loss(by a point to an undefeated senior state champ), 3xer I'd say he would be one of the all-time Indiana greats--and not just of the big men.

I agree...Man Child vs Stewart his freshman year...that match was SICK

Appreciate it, and in no way was I disrespecting the kid, he's just not in the conversation for me. His track record as a junior and senior speak for themselves. Perhaps his success made it look so easy, or his lack of a real opponent the last two years hurts him in my eyes, or a combo of the two? His statistics are second to none, I could see how an argument could be made, especially by a Pirate. :)

Side note: Gelen beat a baby Streck 2 times, so there is that head to head data, albeit when Streck was an underclassman and Gelen was a Junior and Senior. Loved Streck's face the one year when he realized Gelen was bumping up. To say he was not thrilled would be an understatement.

We can agree to disagree, beauty of this whole discussion thing! I missed one of the two matches they had, but I do know one year it was a mutual decision amongst the two behemoths to wrestle in the dual. None the less, two great big men to come through Indiana.

I'm going with Andy Schneider of Mt. Vernon. Two time champ and dominate through both years. However Chalfant was impressive as well as Chico Adams.

I'm going with Andy Schneider of Mt. Vernon. Two time champ and dominate through both years. However Chalfant was impressive as well as Chico Adams.

Yeah, what big men have had success in college at 197 or heavy? Chalfant is a recent All-American, but he developed from "normal champ" status to super stud after graduating. Greg Wagner and Tony Vaughn from FW Snider were also NCAA All-Americans from Big 10 schools at heavyweight.

Gable Stevenson...can you imagine how good the some of the matches at state would have been if both the Stevenson brothers would have stayed?  The topic of this room might have changed to Mason Parris best wrestler to not win a state title?  Or Blake Rypel.  

Parris would have been on track to win it this year and next with Steveson up to 285.

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.