Indiana's Most Dominant Big Man, EVER?

navy80

If my memory serves correct, Ruggeri also had a distinct height and size disadvantage?

yeah I think he was a very small hwt???

Gunnar lost multiple times in that tournament. He should not have wrestled. You spin it any way you want. Let the record show you that you miss lead everyone by not including a State Tournament win. Seem like the norm for an Avon kid.

The last two times Evan and Gunnar wrestled Evan won. Odd you think?

I think we can all agree that Evan and Gunnar are both studs!! 

Gunnar lost multiple times in that tournament. He should not have wrestled. You spin it any way you want. Let the record show you that you miss lead everyone by not including a State Tournament win. Seem like the norm for an Avon kid.

#NoLove4#TheCounty

Edited by UncleJimmy

2013 Middle School state

1st Place Match: Evan Ellis (Greentown WC) over Gunnar Larson (avon wrestling club) (Dec 6-2) 

It seems that state when they were both sophomores was the only time Larson has beaten Ellis from the data I have found. That includes about seven total matches. Misleading no one, he said that Gunnar would have been a two time champ without Parris. I showed him that it was no guarantee. It's always Avon vs. the World, keep up that attitude it really does great for the Orioles.

2013 Middle School state

1st Place Match: Evan Ellis (Greentown WC) over Gunnar Larson (avon wrestling club) (Dec 6-2) 

It seems that state when they were both sophomores was the only time Larson has beaten Ellis from the data I have found. That includes about seven total matches.

Y2 really can dig deep in the library to find stuff out. 

2013 Middle School state

It seems that state when they were both sophomores was the only time Larson has beaten Ellis from the data I have found. That includes about seven total matches. Misleading no one, he said that Gunnar would have been a two time champ without Parris. I showed him that it was no guarantee. It's always Avon vs. the World, keep up that attitude it really does great for the Orioles.

Didn't go deep enough. Indy Nationals. Also seems he got sick at ISWA Freestyle and left before he and Gunnar could wrestle? Evan is very good. Joe is just this way towards Gunnar for some reason. Its ok. Gunnar is fully aware of it. 

Didn't go deep enough. Indy Nationals. Also seems he got sick at ISWA Freestyle and left before he and Gunnar could wrestle? Evan is very good. Joe is just this way towards Gunnar for some reason. Its ok. Gunnar is fully aware of it. 

Oh yes, I have something against him... keep making things up just like the rest of the Avon parents. As usual the Avon parents are the most annoying people on this site.

I would say Parris has to finish out the next two years in order to be the most dominate ever.

In my opinion Radnovich from Gibson Southern had the most dominate year at 215/220.

I agree with you...I posted this now instead of next February for the debate.

DJ was an absolute beast!!

Putting words in my mouth? Never said lock. Just notice that Joe did not include a win in the State Tournament. Odd, don't you think?

Odd?

You wanna know what's odd?

A mom coming on this thread and trying to tout her kid as one of the most dominant big men ever in such a passive aggressive way. Seriously, this is coming from someone with plenty of his own detractors here. And then the most awesome display of gross misconduct by trying to play the victim is your response when called out. I'll put it in easy to understand terms for you: Parris and Gelen top 1% of wrestlers period. There's absolutely no shame in being a top 10% wrestler. I don't see Ellis mom and or dad on here lobbying for Evan do you? See the difference? That's why you are taken to task, it has nothing to do with Gunnar. Your behavior here today is what causes targets to be placed on backs of teams and wrestlers.

ClownBaby comin' in HOT! You shouldn't only post around state tourney time..your pent up rage is not good for you, man! You feelin' ok? All the winter road salt on the Audi got you depressed?

I support ClownBaby..#BigFan but dude...How do you really feel?

If my memory serves correct, Ruggeri also had a distinct height and size disadvantage?

Yeah...small and plump. 6 throws = 3 pins and a tech at state. He lit the place up like no one else I can remember. When he wrestled future high school national champ and giant Ohio State lineman Larimore, I just remember thinking: no WAY can he throw Larimore like he did those other guys, right? But he did. It was phenomenal.

ClownBaby comin' in HOT! You shouldn't only post around state tourney time..your pent up rage is not good for you, man! You feelin' ok? All the winter road salt on the Audi got you depressed?

I support ClownBaby..#BigFan but dude...How do you really feel?

Haha, thanks man! Was that too much? Jeez, in my head that came across as brotherly advice. Is that a banable offense? Can you put in a good word?

As for the old Audi, I had to put her down once she got a salt stain on her, I couldn't be seen driving around in that so I traded her for a shiny new Jeep.

Why has no one mentioned Streck in this convo 4 time placer at HWT 7th, 3rd, 1st, 1st. 

In all fairness to Streck, it's very difficult to "dominate" at HWT. The style of wrestling doesn't really lend itself to dominance.  Most of the matches are low scoring because it's a lot of locking up and circling.  Streck was the anomaly in that he was athletic enough to create offense from a few different shots, but I just don't think dominant when I remember his state finals runs.  Steck would be in my personal Hall of Very Good. Huge fan of his by the way and a very impressive career for a 4 year HWT. 

I agree Gelen is one of, if not the best we have seen.  I think Mason is more dominant and would love to see a fantasy matchup between them.

???  

I've never heard the story on him...can you elaborate?

Pinned everybody in under 10 minutes iirc..wrestled like a 145 pounder and was a All American in Freestyle..

Odd?

You wanna know what's odd?

A mom coming on this thread and trying to tout her kid as one of the most dominant big men ever in such a passive aggressive way. Seriously, this is coming from someone with plenty of his own detractors here. And then the most awesome display of gross misconduct by trying to play the victim is your response when called out. I'll put it in easy to understand terms for you: Parris and Gelen top 1% of wrestlers period. There's absolutely no shame in being a top 10% wrestler. I don't see Ellis mom and or dad on here lobbying for Evan do you? See the difference? That's why you are taken to task, it has nothing to do with Gunnar. Your behavior here today is what causes targets to be placed on backs of teams and wrestlers.

Never claimed he was one of the best. He has lost more matches than you can count. Just pointed out something that was left out. You must not read from the beginning. 

Is Mason Parris the most dominate BIG MAN ever?  He is only a junior, but has been an unstoppable force.  The only two 220 pounders who can likely hang with him this year are Clayton Scroggs (SQ as a soph, and 5th as a junior) and Gunner Larson (SQ as a freshman, 5th as a soph, and 2nd as a junior).  Everyone else likely gets tech falled or pinned. 

I think Mason surpasses former big men such as Dexter Larimore, Wesley Bernard, Fletcher Miller, Chris Kasten, Chico Adams, Adam Chalfant, 

Elite Studs Indiana has produced include the following, (215/220/HWT)

Jake Obrien 3X state champ at 215lbs.  Gelen Robinson 2X state champ at 215lbs, Anton Talamantes 2nd, 1stat 215lbs and 1st at 189lbs.

Gelen won state 7-2 and 9-3. 

Talamantes lost state 2-4, won state 7-4 and by pin.

Obrien won state 9-6, 8-5, and 11-4

Obrien went on to fight in the UFC, Gelen will likely play in the NFL, and I am not sure about Talamantes.

As a freshman, Parris won the 182lb New Castle Semi-State with wins over

Kaiser, Ind. Ritter 31-7 W PIN

Steward, Cathedral 16-3 W 3-1

James Roncalli 44-1 W PIN

Morales, WEBO 39-5 W 7-3

STATE FINALS

Jake Kleimola, 34-7, Lake Central WIN 18-5 (Jake won state the next year)

Kyle Shaffer, 41-3, South Putnam WIN PIN (Kyle will place top 3 this year)

Chase Osborn, 39-0, Penn, LOST 10-11 (Osburn won state)

Gage Garpow, 39-5, Winamac, WON 11-10

I think some people, including myself who didn’t know much about Parris, thought he wrestled a weak schedule from a small school.  He went on to finish 54 wins and 1 loss his freshman year.  When he “upset” Conner James of Roncalli, is when the whole state took notice!  Then, he lost by one point in the state semi finals to the eventual and undefeated state champion.

As a sophomore, Parris walked through semi state at 220!  His wins were, Pin 0:36 seconds, PIN 1:33, Tech Fall against the guy who finished 6th, and Pin 0:21 seconds against the guy who finished 4th!

At the state finals, Nick Lee and Chad Red got all the attention, but a loaded 220 weight was just as good! 

All four semi state champions were undefeated, one was a returning state champion, and a few nationally ranked kids in the weight.

Parris wins his first match against Yorktown’s Pier (34-13) by pin in 1:22.  He beat a very tough and strong Dristin MCubbins from Monrovia (37-7) by fall at 3:08. Parris faced an undefeated Evan Ellis who was 44-0 at the time, and pinned him in 5:20.  In the finals Parris met up with Gunner Larson from Avon who was 42-0 at the time, and won by major decision, 13-4.

By his dominant wins, is he the best big man Indiana has seen?  And he still has one more year left. Thoughts?

Anton went on to win a JUCO National Championship and started at Ohio State. While at Ohio State he qualified for Nationals...not sure how many times...I know his senior year he beat the Iowa kid who was the runner up the next year...at nationals he was forced to Inj. Def. because of a knee injury.   He fought in Bellator.  Now's he's making some moves on the BJJ Scene.

Edited by nkraus

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.