220 This year... Deepest Indiana Upper Weight Class ever?

Mat Shark

Maybe it's not as deep as I thought.

Years ago it seemed like depth dropped off a bit more after top 4 or 5 kids in upper weights.

Maybe it's fair to say this is perhaps the deepest period we've ever seen in the 195-220 range (195 has also been stacked all year...top 3 have been nationally ranked for all or part of the year). I remember thinking last year that I couldn't recall a more loaded 215/220 ever. For a national top 10 guy to get 7th in a very "non-fluke" way spoke volumes for the depth. I remember a period when a national top 20 guy in this range could have won state without a close match--far from the 3 or 4 wars our guys will see this year at state. It also points to how insane Parris is.

I think 195 is tougher than 220 this year. 220 has a lot of talent, but it's gonna be the Mason Parris show, no disrespect to anyone else. 195 has about five people I could legitimately see win in a month.

That's true. It will provide more overall drama. I will say, though, that if Davison wrestles the way he has every match in-season and out of season since state last year, he may not have a match within 4 or 5 points. But I would have thought the same thing about him last year outside of a potential matchup with Rypel. It should be an amazing weight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.