Mooresville Sectional Thoughts

Coach Brobst

The following are just thoughts on the weight classes. You can make your own picks. If I neglected to mention a wrestler or you think a team has a better chance to win than it appears I do, it wasn't personal, I promise. Just a discussion starter:

The Mooresville Sectional has been one of the deepest, if not the deepest, of all of the IHSAA Sectionals and this season looks to be no exception with multiple weight classes boasting 4 or more returning Semi-State Qualifiers or better. As a coach, I’ll refrain from making picks, but rather just give a bracket run-down: You all can make your own picks.

106: The 1 and 2 Seeds here in Sego and Overton both look to punch tickets to State this season after Overton was a Ticket Rounder a season ago and Sego has had a fantastic Freshman campaign with just a singular loss. The other wrestlers here look to be headed by Franklin’s Hargis at 22-16 and Plainfield’s Gage Dunbar at 11-9. The Darkhorse here could be Dylan Young from Mooresville (maybe slight bias) whose 0-1 record is deceiving as he was out on academic suspension and could definitely find himself wrestling next weekend.

113: CG’s Petro appears to be the head of the class here but Mid-State Champ Reams of Plainfield will look to topple him in the title match, if he can get past Whiteland’s Adkins in a rematch of the conference title bout from 2 weeks ago. Morgan Jones of Decatur could throw a wrench in that mess as he is a talented wrestler with just too few matches to land a seed. Mooresville’s Noah Davis looks to have an inside track to Regionals as he owns wins over all the lower seeds with the exception of Morgan Jones, who he wouldn’t see until the Semi-finals or 3rd place match (depending on how Jones’ match with Petro goes, should he beat Franklin’s Vandeman in the pigtail). Anything can happen at this weight.

120: Our first of the truly deep weights, all 5 of the Top 5 seeds have single digit losses and 4 have qualified for Semi-State, 2 for State. The number 1 seed is undefeated Brave Alex Mosconi, making the drop down from 126 to wreak havoc on an already tough Regional field. At 2 and 3, Morgan County rivals Keaton Fisher of Martinsville and Brycen Denny of Monrovia look to meet up in the semi-finals if the seeds hold. Fisher (a ticket rounder at this weight a year ago) owns a head to head win over the State Qualifier Denny. The 4-5 matchup pits opponents with a combined record of 53-13 (not too many 4-5 match-ups in the state with that) in Mooresville’s Cox (wins over Homestead’s Rushing and Castle’s Bealmear as well as Memorial’s Seth Horty) and Whiteland’s King. Cox has a head to head over King in the Mid-State Semi-finals 2 weeks ago. The Jockeying for Regionals will be what’s most interesting here as Ty Mills will likely be waiting for the 4th placer here. Expect 1st-3rd to advance to Semi-State though and have a really good shot to get to state if they can avoid Cayden Rooks or Luigs in round 1.

126: Though not as prestigious as 120, this weight should provide plenty of intrigue as match-ups may be what proves to be key in advancing to Regionals. Trojan Peyton Pruett claims the 1 seed here and if seeds hold would face Mid-State Champ Williams of Whiteland. The semi-finals should be solid here with Pruett facing the winner of Decatur’s Galvin (runner up at conference) and Mooresville’s Wymer (regional qualifier last year). Galvin does own a head to head over Wymer, giving him the upper hand. On the other side, Williams will face off with Indian Creek’s Gabe Pitzulo, who was at 120 most of the season, but is a solid wrestler. Jockeying again here for Regionals will be important as 4th placer likely gets Mulkey in opening round of Regionals.

132: Franklin’s Ethan Nash claims the 1-seed by virtue of a head to head win over Whiteland’s Hughes (the 2 seed). They may get a chance at a rematch in the championship if Hughes can get past LJ Burdon of Plainfield, who made the drop from 138 and is a regional qualifier from a year ago. The fourth advancer is a toss-up with the likely candidates being Luke Bradley of Martinsville and Liam Kelly of Indian Creek, who square off in the first round. Winner should get the inside track to another week of wrestling.

138: Another really fun one for parity as Indian Creek’s Brad Trietsch (always impresses me) claims the 1 seed over Greenwood’s Jacob Schrader (possibly the most muscular 138 in the state). They look to be on a collision course if Schrader can get by Gage Jacobs of Plainfield (up from 132 with Burdon dropping) and Trietsch past the winner of the 4/5 between Michael Craig of Mooresville and Dexter Grubb of Martinsville. Craig owns the head to head but Grubb and Craig have traded pins over 6 matches during the past 2 years, so it’s the definition of a toss-up. Winner likely has the inside track to Regionals, though both will be in the mix regardless. Center Grove's King (owning a head to head over Craig) may also be in the mix. Don't be surprised if it is he in the semifinal facing Schrader.

145: A weight we thought might be a little down this year had really beefed up with the dropping of Center Grove’s Logan Coyle and Indian Creek’s Tony Mosconi from 152. Those two claim the 1 and 2 seeds respectively as Coyle owns a head to head over Mosconi, thought  rematch has to be on the mind of the older Mosconi brother. The Semi-Finals will likely pit Mosconi against Mid-State Champ Trevor Reese in what should be a great match-up and Coyle against 22 match winner Adamson of Mooresville. Of course, avoiding 4th place is important here as the returning champ Lee likely awaits the 4th placer in Regionals.

152: A weight we thought would be solid turns into a wide-open field with the aforementioned Coyle and Mosconi making the cut to 145. The number one seed is Greenwood’s Willham with 30+ wins this season and a conference title on his resume. Others in this race to Regionals include Quaker Seth Santiago (2 seed),  Brave Tyler Weltich (3 seed, up from 145), Pioneer Augie Newkirk (5 seed), and CG’s Brada (4 seed). Good luck making picks here!

160: Another truly deep weight starts off with returning 4th placer and 2 time State qualifier, Gleason Mappes as the top seed. Ethan Stock of Monrovia comes in with only 2 losses as the 2nd seed over 3rd seeded Jaylen Adkins of Decatur Central. Those three should be favorites to advance although the fourth spot is anyone’s guess as ALL remaining wrestlers have the capability to beat each other and have exchanged wins throughout the year.

170: Possibly the best of all the weights at Mooresville, 170 offers some very high end talent starting with number 1 seed and returning state runner-up Burk Van Horn of Franklin. Martinsville’s Ethan Runyon is a very talented 2 seed that was mere seconds from qualifying for state last year and he may face off against 3 seed Jonah Hays of Center Grove, who is highly touted coming in. The 4 seed is Eli Stock, who won the Mooresville Holiday Classic at this weight over Cicciarelli of Brownsburg, a match that would reoccur with a trip to semi-state on the line should the seeds hold true in both Sectionals. Add in Danville’s Sophomore Trizton Carson with only 4 losses and the regional will be a doozy.

182: Franklin’s 1 loss Jake Moore will be the favorite here and is seeded first over Monrovia’s Camryn Smith, who has had a superb Senior campaign after missing his Junior season with an injury. Smith will have a tough test with either Indian Creek’s Joe Clevenger or Mooresville’s Andrew Sanders, who have wrestled two tight ones already this season, in the semifinals. On the other side, Greenwood’s AJ Montgomery has to be thinking upset as he squares off against Plainfield’s Danny Reams (up from 170) with the winner getting Moore in the semi-finals. The top 6 here are very solid and all have the ability to wrestle at least 2 more weeks into the Semi-State rounds.

195: Although a little top-heavy, the top 4 here ought to produce some solid Regional matches next week and solid Semi-Finals and Placement matches this week with the 1 seed being undefeated Ryan Hammond, returning from injury as a Sophomore after qualifying for State at 182 as a Freshman. His likely Finals opponent would be Indian Creek’s Junior Grant Goforth, another returning State Qualifier from last season. The Semifinals would be pit Goforth against 3 seed Jack Biddle of Plainfield, who has made significant strides this year and Hammond would likely square off with Monrovia’s Clay Whitney. Any and all could upset each other and make an easier path for themselves to Semi-State.

220: This weight leaves a lot of intrigue as to who the 4th person to qualify is going to be. The top three are a good measure ahead with Undefeated Clayton Scroggs of Martinsville sitting at the first seed opposite of 2nd seeded Garrison Lee of Monrovia, whose only losses are to Scroggs. At the third seed, Franklin’s Manny Cheam, who has only taken 3 losses this season, will look to upset Lee to make his way to the title bout. Scrambling for 4th place looks to be between 3 competitors in Plainfield’s Booher, Whiteland’s Watson, and Mooresville’s Henson, all of whom will be looking for a big upset or two to avoid Gunnar Larson and Isaac McCormick at Regionals.

285: The final weight is another very intriguing one, with good top end talent, but also a mention that of the 4 semi-state ranked wrestlers here, only 3 can advance due to CG’s Heinrich not being able to be seeded. Heinrich will actually start the day off with the 1 seed Biddle in a quarterfinal where the winner will face off against either Mooresville’s Danny Camden or Decatur’s Travon Starks (the winner of that bout likely will sneak into Regionals, while the loser has to wrestle either Heinrich or Biddle—ouch). On the other side of the bracket, 3 seed Garrett Curtis of Whiteland will square off with Jacob Lamping of Franklin for the right to wrestle for a Sectional Title. With Henson and Clark feeding into the Regional, this weight is one of the most loaded at the regional level.

Team Race: May be one of the tightest and most intriguing in years. Center Grove has the opportunity to win titles at 113, 126, 145, 160 and even at 170 and HWT if the chips fall right. If that happens, they’d win. However, many of their non-champion wrestlers will likely not place high if at all. Because of this, they have to be only slight favorites over Franklin (could have champs at  132, 170, 182, with high placers at 145, 220 and 285) who are sort of in the same situation where many of their lower weight wrestlers may not place highly. Another competitor could be Indian Creek with the Mosconi brothers, Trietsch, Clevenger, and Goforth placing very highly or maybe winning titles, they should be in the mix. Martinsville could compete to be in the top 4 with Scroggs, Runyon, Fisher all expected to do really well and a few other high placers may really help it out. Plainfield has the Biddle brothers, who should both compete well, as well as the Reams brothers, LJ Burdon, and Seth Santiago that may place highly and put Plainfield in the mix to compete. Monrovia has some solid top end talent with Lee, the Stock brothers, Camryn Smith, and Brycen Denny all expecting to perform well to put them into the mix for a top five slot as well as Greenwood and Mooresville who each have several 3rd-5th place guys. Whiteland and Decatur Central will both have a few guys get through to Regionals as well.

Should be a great day of wrestling! Pack the Curry Center and check it out.

Great, detailed analysis! Based on the info given in the other thread (titled Sectional Seeding) ... shouldn't the seedings for the 120, 126, 145, 152 weight classes (and maybe others) be based on head to head wins within the bracket? I mention these weight classes because those were the ones affected by both Mosconi kids and Coyle moving weight classes.

So, for example, in looking at the wrestler details for 120 (assuming all the info is in there), Keaton Fisher would be #1 seed because he has 5 head to head wins, Cox would be #2 seed because he has 4 head to head wins, King would be #3 seed with 3 head to head wins, etc.

For 145, Drake would be #1 seed with 5 head to head wins, Adamson #2 seed with 4 head to head wins, Coyle #3 seed because he tied for head to head wins but he beat Mosconi and Larence, etc.

Here's what I'm referring to (it's on page 3 of the sectional seeding thread and if you listen to the narrator on the sectional seeding criteria tutorial video, he says, "head to head wins against wrestlers in the same bracket"):

I just looked up the IHSAA "Seeding Criteria Tutorial"( I think one coach in this sectional had done their homework and thoroughly reviewed this).Here's the criteria below and this makes sense as to why the seed came out:

A) Head to Head( The Wrestler with the most head to head wins gets the seed).If they have beaten each other an equal number of times, then the wrestler of the last match gets the seed.In the tutorial,the narrator says wins between wrestlers in that bracket.

B  Record vs Common Opponents

C)Semi- State Qualifier in IHSAA tournament

D)Best Overall Record with minimum of 10 matches

E)Furthest Advancement in the IHSAA tournament

F) Draw by lot

Here's the link to the video ... if you listen to the narrator, he explains head to head definition. It was explained in the other thread that this is to keep kids from changing weight classes to avoid certain match-ups to pad their records.

http://www.ihsaa.net/seedingmeetingtutorial/story.html

Just thinking it might be worth looking at again.

Edited by Jaconimi

I really don't think that anything will get reseeded here. Would love to have two of my kids get 2 seeds, but they aren't the second best wrestler at that weight, so why would I complain? Seeding is, as it says, a way to separate the best wrestlers from each other. Not to mention that if we seeded that way Drake, the Martinsville 145, would be the 1 seed. Adamson pinned him twice in the first period in pretty dominant fashion and would be the two? That's silly. I understand the intent, but weight changes are part of the sport. This just messes things up more as some kids will certainly end up on the same side of the bracket that should be separated. 

Mooresville is unreal...I'm ready to see how 170 shakes down...Carson is a stud 10th grader that will be amongst killers.. Carson vs ciccerelli rematch will be good if they meet in finals of their respective sectional final...the first match was a lot Closer than 7-1 score (desperation throw didn't help the score) ... ciccarelli is as swoll and well coached as it gets as well...no matter what Mooresville is gonna be the last stop for some damn good wrestlers...

Edited by FCFIGHTER170

I really don't think that anything will get reseeded here. Would love to have two of my kids get 2 seeds, but they aren't the second best wrestler at that weight, so why would I complain? Seeding is, as it says, a way to separate the best wrestlers from each other. Not to mention that if we seeded that way Drake, the Martinsville 145, would be the 1 seed. Adamson pinned him twice in the first period in pretty dominant fashion and would be the two? That's silly. I understand the intent, but weight changes are part of the sport. This just messes things up more as some kids will certainly end up on the same side of the bracket that should be separated. 

There does seem to be a definite flaw, as you described, in basing it strictly on total number of head-to-head wins, which is what the IHSAA training materials say, without considering match-ups within the bracket (like where Adamson beat Drake at 145 and Shoemaker and Mosconi beat King at 120 but had fewer total head-to-head wins). Off topic a bit, but how do you know your kids are not the second best wrestlers, as you stated, if they haven't wrestled head to head with the higher seeded wrestlers? I don't have a pony in the race, just making an observation. 

I guess I'm bothered by the inconsistencies from one sectional to another in how the rules are being enforced. I realize this isn't just a Mooresville sectional issue. I just brought it up here since there seems to be a lot of weight changes. It is hard to see a kid "waltz" into a new weight class with few common opponents in that bracket and get to jump to the front of the line. If they want to be in the front of the line, they should stay in the weight class they were at or switch over earlier to prove they can beat the wrestlers in that bracket. I know there are supposed to be guidelines (minimums) as to how many times they have to make scratch weight but they seem to be inconsistently enforced across the state. Best of luck to everyone at Mooresville sectional!

I should rephrase: we have not had the second best season. We surely could win against anyone in any given match

I believe in all my wrestlers, but I want the right seeds. If we just didn't seed Mosconi or Coyle then yeah, we'd get 2 seeds but we may end up wrestling either of those guys in round 1, making our chances of advancement much more difficult. Is it frustrating when people drop at the end of the year? Yeah. But it isn't like they are bumping up, they are dropping down

I don't think it's avoidance, at least not in these circumstances

You gotta beat who lines up-bottom line

I think we got the seeds we deserve

Sucks that we got a couple 4s but we have to beat them at some point anyways

I don't have an issue with either but usually if you go down it's a cut to a more competitive weight for state. Bumping up is generally done to avoid a certain kid or kids at your weight. At least in this case, all the kids that dropped would have won their weights before easily and are now in more competitive ones. Like I said, would rather we all wrestled the same weight all year, but it's part of the sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.