Injury default question

bulldog145

In Tournament format if a wrestler injury defaults a match prior to the match taking place, does it count as a match and the default wrestler gets a loss??

Yes

The ruling I got from the powers that be is the first loss is the one that counts, any subsequent ones do not. So say you win a quarter-final match and are in the semi-finals, but default the semi's, consi-semi's and 5th place match. Only the semi-final loss counts on your record.

HOWEVER, if your wrestler wins a match due to an illegal slam or an illegal move and cannot wrestle the rest of the tournament NONE of his losses count.

In Tournament format if a wrestler injury defaults a match prior to the match taking place, does it count as a match and the default wrestler gets a loss??

Rule 5-7

A default is awarded when one of the competitors is unable to continue wrestling for any reason.

Rule 5-13

It shall be considered a forfeit when the opponent, for any reason, fails to appear for a match.

Rule 10-2-5

A forfeit shall eliminate a contestant from further competition in a tournament, except when the forfeit is because of an injury or illness which occurred during the tournament.

So, a wrestler not making an appearance for any reason would result in a forfeit, therefore, not being counted as a match wrestled, although, forfeits are counted as wins they are not considered to be losses.

I saw a similar incident at the HHC meet. I wasn't watching the correct mat, but from what I understand the NC wrestler was in the down position, and on the whistle the other wrestler chopped his arm to knock him flat - which I think severely dislocated it. The NC wrestler was done for the tournament (and I'd guess the season). The NC wrestler was given a loss via the injury default, and then also had to injury default in the 5th/6th place match.

I didn't see the chop down - but at any point could a very hard chop down be considered illegal? It wasn't called illegal in this incident - but for a strong 182 pounder to be injured on one, I'd bet it was pretty hard.

This wrestler was injured in the semi's of a tournament but finished that match and lost.  He then wrestled in the Cons' Semifinals and won.  Then before the 3rd place match took place he injury defaulted to finish 4th.  Does that injury default count as a loss??

Edited by bulldog145

This wrestler was injured in the semi's of a tournament but finished that match and lost.  He then wrestled in the Cons' Semifinals and won.  Then before the 3rd place match took place he injury defaulted to finish 4th.  Does that injury default count as a loss??

Yes it counts as a loss since he wrestled the match before.

I saw a similar incident at the HHC meet. I wasn't watching the correct mat, but from what I understand the NC wrestler was in the down position, and on the whistle the other wrestler chopped his arm to knock him flat - which I think severely dislocated it. The NC wrestler was done for the tournament (and I'd guess the season). The NC wrestler was given a loss via the injury default, and then also had to injury default in the 5th/6th place match.

I didn't see the chop down - but at any point could a very hard chop down be considered illegal? It wasn't called illegal in this incident - but for a strong 182 pounder to be injured on one, I'd bet it was pretty hard.

A hard chop can be considered unnecessary roughness and thus illegal.

Rule 5-7

A default is awarded when one of the competitors is unable to continue wrestling for any reason.

Rule 5-13

It shall be considered a forfeit when the opponent, for any reason, fails to appear for a match.

Rule 10-2-5

A forfeit shall eliminate a contestant from further competition in a tournament, except when the forfeit is because of an injury or illness which occurred during the tournament.

So, a wrestler not making an appearance for any reason would result in a forfeit, therefore, not being counted as a match wrestled, although, forfeits are counted as wins they are not considered to be losses.

They are considered losses in the situations I presented. This is directly from the IHSAA as I have had two separate instances of defaulting out of events and the potential for 3 losses on a kid's record.

Yes it counts as a loss since he wrestled the match before.

A hard chop can be considered unnecessary roughness and thus illegal.

They are considered losses in the situations I presented. This is directly from the IHSAA as I have had two separate instances of defaulting out of events and the potential for 3 losses on a kid's record.

Though not considered losses in the tournament moving from week to week. 

i.e. Winning semi-state, then being injured in practice prior to competing in the state finals.

If an injured wrestler forfeits due to injury prior to the match starting, does it count as a head to head win for seeding purposes?

I would love to see a coach try to use that in a seeding meeting. I would hope that someone isn't that dumb and if they are the others in the meeting just laugh at him.

This is just a clarification when it comes to Track and the records from there.  Now here is something that if you are worried about it, the match that the wrestler is injured during counts as an injury default, all subsequent matches should be Medical Forfeits, not ID's.  That tells the track system that a loss will be given for the Injury Default, but will not be counted for the Med FF.

I would love to see a coach try to use that in a seeding meeting. I would hope that someone isn't that dumb and if they are the others in the meeting just laugh at him.

I agree it would be ridiculous, just don't ever want to get the short end of the stick if it happened to be a rule I didn't know about.

The wrestler chopped the arm very hard, "swung from left field", the other wrestler's elbow severely dislocated.  Match was stopped immediately, wrestler was giving an unnecessary roughness penalty.   Before the 2 minute recovery time expired, the injured wrestler's coach injury defaulted, allowing the other wrestler to continue in the tourney. Great sportsmanship by all in involved, including the offending wrestler, he did not intentionally hurt the other wrestler and was very upset as well. 

My junior year I broke my hand in the semi's of sectionals (won the match though) and then defaulted the finals.  The default was counted as a loss officially (but not by me!) ;)

Question is, did you wrap it up and come back the next week and win Regionals?

The wrestler chopped the arm very hard, "swung from left field", the other wrestler's elbow severely dislocated.  Match was stopped immediately, wrestler was giving an unnecessary roughness penalty.   Before the 2 minute recovery time expired, the injured wrestler's coach injury defaulted, allowing the other wrestler to continue in the tourney. Great sportsmanship by all in involved, including the offending wrestler, he did not intentionally hurt the other wrestler and was very upset as well. 

Reminds me then of when Austin McCloskey was slammed illegally by one of the Kiefer brothers in the New Castle semistate. It wasn't an intentional illegal move, but it injured McCloskey. He decided to injury default so Kiefer could still have a chance to go to state. Pretty classy.

Question is, did you wrap it up and come back the next week and win Regionals?

Had it in a cast all week before regionals.  Cut it off on Friday, wrapped it up and wrestled in the Regional.  This was back when on the top 3 advanced.  I won by pin my first match and then dropped the next two in close matches to finish 4th.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.