Best graduating class from one school ever

maligned

The question was brought up on another thread...could Brownsburg's current junior class go down as the best class from a single school ever next year? With 4 guys currently ranked #1, I'd say they have a chance to do some pretty special things.

It's an interesting question.  The 2003 Evansville Mater Dei team is largely thought of as the team greatest ever.  While that team had a couple of all-time greats as underclassmen (Coughlin and Maurer), their senior class was pretty phenomenal with 3 champs, 2 thirds, and another qualifier.  And one of the 3rd placers, Craig Macke, is often people's vote as the greatest never to win a title.  His senior year, he gave Angel Escobedo his closest in-state high school match ever in the semi-finals at state, 5-2.

What other amazing senior classes have their been?

MD wasn't wrestling 60+ matches per year, so their records in HS are vastly different.  Only Coughlin and Maurer wrestled in college, and Maurer got hurt.  Coughlin AA'd, but the Griffith boys have more AA's and a national title.

How does Mater Dei 2003 fearsome foursome compare to Griffith 2004 fearsome foursome in combined wins in both high school and college?

There's no comparison at either stop: Griffith wrestled enormous super duals-filled schedules that got them huge win totals all 4 years for the 3 seniors that year (J. Escobedo, Tsirtsis, and Hernandez) plus the junior Angel. MD kids had significantly less wins. In college, Maurer's dreams were cut short by injury and the 3 senior champs from the '03 team didn't do that much collegiately, as far as I know. Meanwhile, Angel and Alex had big college win totals and Hernandez was a regular at IU for a while too.

MD wasn't wrestling 60+ matches per year, so their records in HS are vastly different.  Only Coughlin and Maurer wrestled in college, and Maurer got hurt.  Coughlin AA'd, but the Griffith boys have more AA's and a national title.

And coughlin was a sophomore non-champ the year we're talking about anyway.

MD '03 with the slight edge over Griffith '04.

I'm trying to ask about the best senior class ever.

Griffith's seniors in '04 didn't include Angel, of course.  They had 3 champs in Tsirtsis, Hernandez, and Jose Escobedo--but no other state qualifiers from that class.  In my opinion MD's class was much stronger with the 3 champs, 2 thirds, and a qualifier.  

Were there other big-time senior groups?

I'm trying to ask about the best senior class ever.

Griffith's seniors in '04 didn't include Angel, of course.  They had 3 champs in Tsirtsis, Hernandez, and Jose Escobedo--but no other state qualifiers from that class.  In my opinion MD's class was much stronger with the 3 champs, 2 thirds, and a qualifier.  

Were there other big-time senior groups?

Each "senior" class had 3 champions. You may be hard pressed to find a better starting point.

Best class the 1971 state champions Bloomington high school , coached by my father Kay Hutsell , Beat Detroit catholic central in front of 3,000 plus fans 52 -21 Detroit Catholic

Was ranked number 1 Bloomington number 2 well at the end of that dual Bloomington was number 1 Bloomington went on to win the state championship that year by over thirty points with 3 state champions a runner up a third and a fourth placer , just some information to some of you youngsters that post on this fun site . Bloomington won 5 state championships in a row , untill they took second in 1974 going for their six straight , thanks for this site it's fun for this old timer to keep up on current wrestling in the great state of Indiana

I would have to do further research, but off the top of my head... I think Delta had 4 state champs in 1981.

Campbell, Heintzelman, Gadbury and Palmer. I would guess they likely had some other teammates place that year as well.

That was one tough squad!

You are correct.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Wrestling/IndividualStateChampions/tabid/687/Default.aspx#2250536-1980-81

Edited by Mat Shark

Delta had 4 state champs in 81' Senior Chris Campbell State Champ at 126lbs, Senior Don Heinzelman 132lbs State Champion  Senior Greg Gadbury State Champion at 155lbs and Junior David Palmer State Champion at 167lbs Senior Chris Ruble 4th at 112lbs and Senior Doug Campbell qualifier at 119lbs so they sent 5 seniors that year not 6. My mistake but what I memory for an old guy I still have.lol

Edited by Ironbear

Delta had 4 state champs in 81' Chris Campbell State Champ at 126lbs, Don Heinzelman 132lbs State Champion Greg Gadbury State Champion at 155lbs and David Palmer State Champion at 167lbs Chris Ruble 4th at 112lbs and Doug Campbell qualifier at 119lbs so 6 at the state that year. They sent 6 after graduating this senior class the very next year and won it again.lol

I see now Palmer at least was a junior in '81. So that puts that class a tick behind E-ville '03 in terms of individuals' state placements. Not sure about Ruble and D Campbell's grades.

Edited by maligned

Being an old timer and having followed this state tourney for years ,, a note for you youngsters back when I wrestled and the post I made about Bloomington high school being named the best high school team in the USA by some wrestling publications,, the state of Indiana only places for individuals and you had to win the sectionals,and the regionals to get to the state tourney.

Being an old timer and having followed this state tourney for years ,, a note for you youngsters back when I wrestled and the post I made about Bloomington high school being named the best high school team in the USA by some wrestling publications,, the state of Indiana only places for individuals and you had to win the sectionals,and the regionals to get to the state tourney.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.