Middle School State

Coach Doug Welch

so who is ready to write up a proposal and submit to IHWCA and then help out with all logistics ? 

MustangDaddy, MattM or better yet the guy who is very good at organizing events Mr. Justin Ratliff. 

You guys could be the Southern representation for organization and work with a Northern location representatives to get some legs under this idea.

Come on guys step up and do this !!!!

P.S. yep that's right leaving my profile pic to the one that was changed by the hackers

I'm all for getting the format changed before my oldest gets to MS.  Getting home at 12AM or 1AM on a Monday then sending my son to school isn't very appealing.

I could see people being upset because maybe the 5th and 6th place kid at one regional is better than the 3rd and 4th from a different regional.  However, it is Middle School, so shouldn't we be preparing them for High School?

It is not really about the money.  We have gotten to the point where the tournament runs fairly smoothly, but it is ponderous.   We have simply not changed due to the fact there has not been much impetus for change.  I can tell you this...I would love to see us have qualifiers and end up with brackets of 16.  I would love to be able to walk out the doors with clean-up complete at 5pm or 6pm.    

I think you would need three (3) qualifiers.  One more north, one more south, and one in central Indiana.  The idea of just a north and south qualifier leaves our biggest number of wrestlers in this tournament (central Indiana) traveling to a site that should be well north or well south.  Three qualifiers with the top six from each advancing would work well because not all six would probably come to the State.  Four qualifiers (qualifying top four) is probably too many because the numbers at the tournament might not be substantial enough for the host school to pay the "bills".  If we made the qualifier a ten dollar ($10) entry fee though maybe that would draw a few more people at the first level and make it more viable.  We would also need to find schools that could host the event on the Sunday after IHSAA Sectionals and have a make-up date the Sunday after IHSAA Regionals.  If you would be interested in hosting a qualifier for Middle School State let me know.  I plan to meet with the Officers and discuss this at (or before) the Spring Clinic.

I remember when I first got involved with the ISWA in the mid 90s and Mr. and Mrs. Errett proposed having qualifying tourneys for freestyle state and it was proposed to be cash positive compared to having one big tourney.

If everyone is serious about a two week tourney, I would suggest asking ISWA clubs that are hosting regionals to host a MS Regional since they have mats out on Saturday already.  I know North Montgomery ran a club tourney after their regional.

Pros:

I think you'd get more kids wrestling.  I'm pretty positive that more Carmel kids would go to the regional if it was closer and not as 'skilled' as the MS State.  I'd be confident that the other regions would get many more kids at a regional that were hours away from New Castle.

Cons:

Two weekends of tourneys for kids that might be in their middle school season.

Sounds like great info and good stuff..............Love all the idea's !!!

Sounds like Rex is asking for people who are willing to host a sort of regional (qualifier for the eventual state tourney).

Anyone want to step up and contact him to do this ?

Please accept this as a way to change things that you think could use some change or tweaking and get involved in helping to facilitate said change.

Love the thought of having qualifiers to make the state tournament a little shorter.

If there were 3 qualifying tournaments, you could always do a top 5 to get it down to 15 with some sort of criteria to see which 6th place finisher gets the last spot?  

4 would be ideal, as you could do one up in Da Region, Fort Wayne, Indy and a southern host, maybe Jeffersonville area? Take top 4 and bracket them 1vs4 with each weight class drawn independently on the draws.

Avon with 2 in the finals.

Avon has three in finals. Jaden Reynolds is an Avon kid too. Mckivitz and Peters also go to the same school as Reynolds.

#TheCounty has 7 in the finals. Like Garcia says... it's coming. I know that people are sick about hearing about it, but for one county to go from average to where we are in a handful of years is pretty good.

Edited by Mattyb

We have 6 high schools. Avon, Brownsburg, Cascade, Danville, Plainfield, and Tri-West. 3 good sized schools and 3 small schools.

I think that wrestling is the thing to do here. All schools have youth clubs. Our high school coaches have seen the light. Once we recognize that a kid has talent we encourage them to attend an academy. This gives the kids a place to train 7 days a week. Red Coba is in Avon and Contenders is in Plainfield. Some of the best kids in the state travel far to come here and bang. The residents reap the benefits.

So.. there are no major cities here, but we offer great clubs and two great academies. Also.. outlaw, Indy pride, and CIA are within a half hour or so.

You also have club, academy, and high school coaches that are at every youth tournament, and travel the country with the national teams.

And the steroids in the chicken nuggets and milk!

Edited by Mattyb

We have 6 high schools. Avon, Brownsburg, Cascade, Danville, Plainfield, and Tri-West. 3 good sized schools and 3 small schools.

I think that wrestling is the thing to do here. All schools have youth clubs. Our high school coaches have seen the light. Once we recognize that a kid has talent we encourage them to attend an academy. This gives the kids a place to train 7 days a week. Red Coba is in Avon and Contenders is in Plainfield. Some of the best kids in the state travel far to come here and bang. The residents reap the benefits.

So.. there are no major cities here, but we offer great clubs and two great academies. Also.. outlaw, Indy pride, and CIA are within a half hour or so.

You also have club, academy, and high school coaches that are at every youth tournament, and travel the country with the national teams.

And the steroids in the chicken nuggets and milk!

Nice...sounds like a great area to move to.  Seems like Avon and Brownsburg are head and shoulders above everyone else.  I can't wait to see Avon next year.  

Nice...sounds like a great area to move to.  Seems like Avon and Brownsburg are head and shoulders above everyone else.  I can't wait to see Avon next year.  

The rise of academies are doing quite a bit for Indiana wrestling. The Region and Maurer Coughlin have their strongholds in their part of the states as well as the several in Central Indiana. The level of competition over the past years at the MS state tournament has been pretty incredible. Seeing a bunch of wrestlers ready to compete at the high school level at early ages is helping Indiana wrestling rise to another level.

Thanks to those that put this on. It is always a fun tournament to coach at and be a part of.

As mentioned, some qualifiers would be nice in areas around the state. The though of getting home at midnight or later for several people with school the next day is rough. Any schools/clubs/teams interested in piecing these together to help all involved?

75-Frazier, Miller, Hammack, Vest

80-Schoeff, Nelson, Solomey, Lemley

85-Goin, Teusch, Hayhurst

90-Freeman, Watson, Baumann, Ruble, fogarty, Garcia, Otto, Johnson

95-Alstott, Dalton, Roberson, Allen, Hardcastle, Gilbert

102-Mendez, Seltzer, Sinkovics, Fuqua, Purdy

110-Mis, Ross, Conley, Koontz, Montgomery, Duncan

117-Boarman, Goodwin, Buchanan, Elliott, Morrisett

125-Reynolds, Lehman, McKivitz, Steenbeke, Carrington, Bell, Carroll, Cruz

132-Fitts, Willems, Sollars,

140-Ellis, Ison, Whitelock, Donawerth, Lommock

150-Turley, Bates, Williamson, Avery

160-Bowman, Friedt, Parkison, Garcia 

175-Jones, Kratkocski, Young, Lane

195-Wells, Speilberger, Rux

220-Whillhite, Stamm, Havens, Mendoza,

275-Watkins, Patton

Bold are champs and underlined names are runner ups.  Even after a few last minute weight changes I was able to predict the first 12 weight classes pretty accurately.  I wasn't even close on last 5 weight classes, but I chalk that up to not being able to predict where these kids weights were.  These predictions were made before the wrestlers list was put out.  Great job to all the wrestlers this weekend.  Indiana has a bright future.

I've seen some mention in this thread about Trackwrestling profile being "manipulated".  My son and I are new to the sport...he just started in November as a 5th grader and has had some moderate success...but even moreso he loves the sport after playing hoops his whole life.  As I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but what the sport teaches is so much more important than his record at this point.  

We've registered in some "beginner" tournaments where it was rather obvious his opponent was far from a beginner...yet their track profile would read "0-0".  That's no problem, I believe you do your best against whoever you face and learn from it regardless of a "beginner" or "open" tourney.

My view is who cares...you wrestle who you wrestle and if you get your butt kicked then you get back to work to get better, but clearly there seems to be some parents that must be living vicariously and love to see that extra 1/2 a star on their son's profile?  

So I'm just curious how it's manipulated...and even more than that, WHY?  My kid has improved tremendously since he started and he is currently a gym rat so I can see him much improved in 6 months, but there's no way in hades I'm going to try to "manipulate" his record.  It is what it is.  So why would some parents do this?

Edited by Kookie953

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.