Middle School State

Coach Doug Welch

MIDDLE SCHOOL STATE will be here before you know it. If you're looking for a place to train, then come be a part of our training series that starts this Sunday at 6:00pm! These workouts are open to anyone, whether you will compete at the state tourney or not. The cement head... I mean cement mixer king and Midlands Champ; Coach Chad Welch (welchtwin1) will be leading these workouts. Follow the link listed below to get more information about the practices, location, tournament, etc.

http://carmelusawres...state_team.aspx

75-Frazier, Miller, Hammack, Vest
80-Schoeff, Nelson, Solomey, Lemley
85-Goin, Teusch, Hayhurst
90-Freeman, Watson, Baumann, Ruble, fogarty, Garcia, Otto, Johnson
95-Alstott, Dalton, Roberson, Allen, Hardcastle, Gilbert
102-Mendez, Seltzer, Sinkovics, Fuqua, Purdy
110-Mis, Ross, Conley, Koontz, Montgomery, Duncan
117-Boarman, Goodwin, Buchanan, Elliott, Morrisett
125-Reynolds, Lehman, McKivitz, Steenbeke, Carrington, Bell, Carroll, Cruz
132-Fitts, Willems, Sollars,
140-Ellis, Ison, Whitelock, Donawerth, Lommock
150-Turley, Bates, Williamson, Avery
160-Bowman, Friedt, Parkison, Garcia
175-Jones, Kratkocski, Young, Lane
195-Wells, Speilberger, Rux
220-Whillhite, Stamm, Havens, Mendoza,
275-Watkins, Patton

Edited by Sig40

75-Frazier, Miller, Boyd, Hammack, Ison

80-, schoeff, Solomey, Lemley

85-Hayhurst, Teusch, Nelson, Goin,

90-Freeman, Baumann, Watson, Ruble

95-Alstott, Dalton, Robertson , Hardcastle,

102-Mendez, Mis, Seltzer, Fuqua,

110-Ross, Conley, Koontz, Duncan, Sinkovics

117-Boarman, Montgomery, Elliott

125-Reynolds, Steenbeke, Carrington, Bell, Cruz, Lehman

132 fits, Mckivtz Morrisett, Willems, Sollars, Carroll

140-Ellis, Whitelock, Donawerth, Lommock

150-Warren, Williamson, Avery

160-Bowman, Friedt, Parkison, Garcia

175-Jones, Kratkocski, Young, Lane

195-Wells, Speilberger, Rux

220-Whillhite, Stamm, Havens, Mendoza,

275-Watkins, Patton

Changed a few things just on where I think the boys will go from talking to them.

Edited by Indiana7

Why should it not be? What should be then?

Trackwrestling Profiles are flawed and allows people to manipulate their profile for better seeding. Plus not all tournaments use trackwrestling, such as Tulsa, Super 32, OTC, and some National Duals. 

2 Options 1. Use last years results only seeding top 4 like ISWA State

2. Don't seed it at all

Just my 2 cents....At the end of the day kids have to wrestles the match and they do get to wrestle back for true 2nd, but if they are going to seed it trackwrestling is not the best tool to use.

Hayden Watson will be @ 90 not 85

Edited by wwatson

Maybe you can now see deleted events and going by last years state is not good either some kids have became completely different wrestlers from last year. I personally hope they don't seed it. If they do my kid hopes he is unseeded in the tournament.

Maybe you can now see deleted events and going by last years state is not good either some kids have became completely different wrestlers from last year. I personally hope they don't seed it. If they do my kid hopes he is unseeded in the tournament.

Very true and I am with you I hope they don't seed it.

Will be disappointed if separation criteria is not added. Hope that we don't see a match up like we saw with Garcia and Alec Viduya to start the day two years ago. It was a long day after that for Alec. Same with Drake Campbell. I think that Alec had to wrestle 11 times that year to get his true second. That was not safe, and things can be done to prevent this. Four years ago my son was coming off a great Novice year. He was a sixth grader and got the one seed at 110. He was NOT the one seed in my book (not even close). Now.... two years later he was good enough to be the one seed, but not as a sixth grader. He did not place as a sixth grader (missed it by one round). He was not the one seed as a returning finalist his 8th grade year, but won it all. Seeding tournaments using track profiles is fine for local tourneys. But.. it should not be done this way for state or national events. Profiles are too easy to manipulate, and kids are coming off good or bad years at an older or younger age group.

Maybe this could be the seeding criteria:

1. Returning middle school state champ

2. Returning middle school state placer

3. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy state champ

4. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy top 4 placer

5. ISWA folkstyle novice state champ

6. ISWA folkstyle novice top 4 placer

But what do I know!!!

Edited by Mattyb

It's all of last year stuff. Not sure that makes sense. Seeding should be done off of this years performance In my

opinion. I think they should do something like

Illinois does. Have a sectional regional and finals.

Edited by Indiana7

It's all of last year stuff. Not sure that makes sense. Seeding should be done off of this years performance In my

opinion. Not I think they should do something like

Illinois does. Have a sectional regional and finals.

Again... what do I know? .... Geeesh.... I'm so stupid!!!!!

I'm glad that most seeding doesn't take into account the prior years results! Oh....... wait......

Edited by Mattyb

We Been fighting this battle over seeding with Powers in Charge for 5 years now maybe even longer than that. You can complain till your blue in the face nothing going to change the process. It is what it is. Just prep for a long day of wrestling Indiana best Middle School Wrestlers . Your wrestler(s) going to run into them at some point in this Tournament sooner or later.

Edited by TeamGarcia

On the topic of long days. I wouldn't mind seeing MS State add a Northern and Southern Qualifer like Girls State and Freshman/Sophomore State have introduced now for HS. You can always have separation criteria for the qualifier based on last years results, but at least most of that will be corrected within those brackets prior to state.

Maybe top 8 advance to state and have a 16 man bracket with placement at the qualifier being the separation criteria. It would definitely make for a shorter day at State for several brackets. Plus it could possibly attract even more state talent since the qualification event is closer to home and qualification makes the state finals event more prestigious.

Edited by MattM

Will be disappointed if separation criteria is not added. Hope that we don't see a match up like we saw with Garcia and Alec Viduya to start the day two years ago. It was a long day after that for Alec. Same with Drake Campbell. I think that Alec had to wrestle 11 times that year to get his true second. That was not safe, and can things be done to prevent this. Four years ago my son was coming off a great Novice year. He was a sixth grader and got the one seed at 110. He was NOT the one seed in my book (not even close). Now.... two years later he was good enough to be the one seed, but not as a sixth grader. He did not place as a sixth grader (missed it by one round). He was not the one seed as a returning finalist his 8th grade year, but won it all. Seeding tournaments using track profiles is fine for local tourneys. But.. it should not be done this way for state or national events. Profiles are too easy to manipulate, and kids are coming off good or bad years at an older or younger age groups.

Maybe this could be the seeding criteria:

1. Returning middle school state champ

2. Returning middle school state placer

3. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy state champ

4. ISWA folkstyle schoolboy top 4 placer

5. ISWA folkstyle novice state champ

6. ISWA folkstyle novice top 4 placer

But what do I know!!!

Yes, Alec V wrestled 11 matches in 11 hours... true story

Simple separation criteria would have prevented a good amount of the matches that he had to wrestle in the consos... since MS State can't be ran as a 2-day tournament due to the timing of it... then we need separation criteria because 1) it makes sense for such an elite tournament and 2) for the safety of the athlete.

Edited by Wade McClurg

The length of the day and the amount of matches is certainly a concern... especially when leaving in six inches of snow and/or ice like last year! Let's hope we have a better turnout of the boys from the Southeastern part of the state this year... lots of great wrestlers in middle school this year but not a lot attend MS State. 

• 3 weeks later...

2, or even 4 regionals, then state is something I've talked about for a couple years. Get the number down to 16 per weight with separation based on placements at regionals, Much like we do our HS semi state and state. Make sure you have wrestle backs!!! This would definitely hurt the $ coming in on Sunday, but it would improve the event and prevent kids from wrestling an unreasonable amount of matches. And we might get home at a decent hour!!!

This would definitely hurt the $ coming in on Sunday, but it would improve the event and prevent kids from wrestling an unreasonable amount of matches. And we might get home at a decent hour!!!

Maybe not if the entire state entry fee is paid at the qualifier level by all competitors. Having qualifiers could draw in more competitors due to:

The initial shorter drive and less initial travel investment.

The more reasonable competition level with a shot to get a state seed rather than risk a random draw.

A the qualifier allows more prestige from being a state qualifier.

If there is enough draw at the qualifiers at the full state entry fee then their should be the same money coming in as before to state, as well as, the funding for the qualifier locations too. It may not inscrease the final bottom line any but they maybe happy with the same final take-in win a far shorter and more organized day at state for everyone.

so who is ready to write up a proposal and submit to IHWCA and then help out with all logistics ? 

MustangDaddy, MattM or better yet the guy who is very good at organizing events Mr. Justin Ratliff. 

You guys could be the Southern representation for organization and work with a Northern location representatives to get some legs under this idea.

Come on guys step up and do this !!!!

P.S. yep that's right leaving my profile pic to the one that was changed by the hackers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.