When will someone get 4 champs in a year again?

maligned

Someone on national boards brought up the topic of most individual champs in a year in single-class states.  It seems the tie for the "modern" record for any state is 4, which others have had and we've had 4 times--Delta in 1981, Lawrence North in 1992, Evansville Mater Dei in 2003, and Griffith in 2004. Will it happen again any time soon?  Could Mills, Mulkey, Lee, and Walton make this a year for the ages for Brownsburg?

(As a side note, Bloomington HS in 1950 holds our state's overall record with 5, and there were 9 other instances of 4 from the inception of the tournament in 1933 up until 1952.  We then had nearly a 30-year gap before Delta's big year in 1981 not so long after mass statewide consolidation of many small schools.)

Edited by maligned

I'm going to say #TheCountyBurg will do it either this year or Next.

#avonyounggunz in 2019. 3 Seniors will be Hammers at their weights . Never know with a very good incoming Class and a very good Senior loaded team. Avon has might pull 5 or 6 Champs .

Just mark your calendars that on this Date 1-11-17 at 9:20am .... TeamGarcia predicted this while looking into #TheCountyCrystalBall.

#avonyounggunz in 2019. 3 Seniors will be Hammers at their weights . Never know with a very good incoming Class and a very good Senior loaded team. Avon has might pull 5 or 6 Champs .

Just mark your calendars that on this Date 1-11-17 at 9:20am .... TeamGarcia predicted this while looking into #TheCountyCrystalBall.

Which six champs?

I could see Bburg winning 4 titles this year. While nobody is a lock, Lee is as good as one and Walton looks to be in a good place as well. Mills has the tools to do so, just have to forget the previous results. Mulkey has to go out and scrap. He has proven he can. 

5-6 champs in one year won't happen....ever.

Nothing wrong with having a dream, no matter how far-fetched it may be. 

It can happen...wait until the Lebron effect trickles down to high school wrestling.  All the middle school studs will pick the same high school and we will see an all-star type of team.  

When was the last time we had 3 state champs from one team?

C'Mon Mike.... you already got 4 of them Ranked in your Top 7 now . Just think what they going to be in 2 years . You add #newavonyounggunz coming in that's pretty good . #TheCountyCrystalBall sees it. Why can't you ? Lol

You said mark your calendar for 2017.

I wouldn't say Never, Lets look at this years Final 4 at team state, and see what Top 10 ranked wrestlers they will have back next year.

BROWNSBURG

D. Campbell   106 Ranked #4

Lawhead        113 Ranked #10

Mills                120 Ranked #1

Mulkey            126 Ranked #1

B. Lee             145 Ranked #1

Walton            182 Ranked #1

Peterson         220 Ranked #8

BB has a Great chance at getting it done THIS YEAR! 4 champs?

PORTAGE

J. Moran      106 Ranked #1

B. Peele       113 Ranked #10

Poynter        120 Ranked # 8

McKintosh    145 Ranked #2

Rumph         138 Ranked #3

Torres          182 Ranked #9

Portage  has some BIG names coming back next year. I can them having a chance at getting 3 or 4 Champs?

AVON

Rioux        106  Ranked #7

ASA          113  Ranked #1

Conley      138  Ranked #5

Brewer      160  Ranked #7

Avon has a SOLID core coming back, they also have a chance of getting 3 or 4 champs in one year with MORE youngunz coming in?

Perry Meridian

Lowery      106  Ranked #8

Fair            113  Ranked #6

Warren      152  Ranked #2

These boys are ALWAYS working HARD in that room, and they are young.

It can happen...wait until the Lebron effect trickles down to high school wrestling.  All the middle school studs will pick the same high school and we will see an all-star type of team.  

When was the last time we had 3 state champs from one team?

Perry had 3 in '13, with a runner up too

On a similar note it would be interesting to know what team (all-time and modern era) has had the most state finalist (not qualifiers but "under the lights") in the same year?  I know in some tournaments see see enough finalists from the same team that it almost looks like a dual meet, but the state tournament is obviously a much higher mountain to climb.

Edited by MattM

On a similar note it would be interesting to know what team (all-time and modern era) has had the most state finalist (not qualifiers but "under the lights") in the same year?  I know in some tournaments see see enough finalists from the same team that it almost looks like a dual meet, but the state tournament is obviously a much higher mountain to climb.

Most Individual Champions (One Team): 7 by Bloomington, 1949. 

Edited by BreakfastClub

Most Individual Champions (One Team): 7 by Bloomington, 1949. 

I said "finalists" not Champions.  Unless that just happens to be the same answer, which it very well could be.  

Although the 49' Bloomington Team wasn't listed on Maligned's original post as the most Champions either.  I'm guessing that would be since that was right after WWII when the IHSAA didn't sponsor an official tournament, so not all school were entered.

Edited by MattM

I said "finalists" not Champions.  Unless that just happens to be the same answer, which it very well could be.  

Although the 49' Bloomington Team wasn't listed on Maligned's original post as the most Champions either.  I'm guessing that would be since that was right after WWII when the IHSAA didn't sponsor an official tournament, so not all school were entered.

It's all I could come up with for you while double dipping at work. 

Nothing wrong with having a dream, no matter how far-fetched it may be.

Yes, they said this when our kids was in Elementary Champions, Middle School Champions, Youth National Wrestling Champions and All-Americans . Goals Fellas , GOALS ! Our kids have been Goal Crushers back then and they're going to Crush your way of thinking of them . You may not see yet, maybe your new to Indiana Wrestling, I don't know. I'd wake up and embrace this #newera of wrestling that's going to take Indiana by storm. Their Time is Coming , like it or not . ! IT'S COMING !

Edited by TeamGarcia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.