In House Wrestle Offs...

Mat Shark

in the early season, we will wrestle all close weight classes per week. If a wrestler gets pinned, he has to wait long time for another shot. The end of our season is conference, senior night and then sectionals. There are no wrestle offs the last two and half weeks. This may change as the team grows and there is more competition or kids wanting to go up or down.

When I wrestled for Elwood (mid 2000s) we had wrestle offs to start the season. After that you could only be challenged for your spot following a loss. This included if someone wanted to move weights. We had them through conference week to keep the competition high and have our best lineup ready for the end of the year.

Where I coach at now, we do something similar; however, numbers are really, really low so we have not had to have them this year.

Of course this is a sensitive subject for us right now. A question that's been on my mind throughout this whole thing, you have 2 kids that are within a pound or two of each other when they walk in the room. One kid decide they're going to go a certain weight because they don't want to have to maintain a lower weight the entire season. The other kid works hard, diets right,gets down so he can healthfully maintain that weight and the other kid starts to struggle a couple weeks before the push for state begins and now wants to drop and challenge for the spot. Keep in mind at this point in the season you only need to make scratch I believe once or twice, correct me if I'm wrong,then you get a two-pound allowance. I do believe wrestle-offs are a fair way to determine a spot. I also feel that sometimes you have earned your spot. I know everybody knows I'm referring to my sons situation but I refuse to get on here and mention any other kids name in a negative light. My wife is sitting here making fun of me about how long my posts are and my punctuation so I'm going to hand it to her now and let her fix this LOL

My freshman year I think I wrestled off about evdrry other week. Myself and another wrestler were always neck and neck for the lower weight varsity spot and the next spot was open. I lost several at the start of the year but as I began developing more technique I was winning more at the end. But almost every time it was a close match wth one point/more separating us. Winner got the lower spot that week and loser wrestled up. Since we both proved we could make weight and the matches were always close we ended up having to challenge each other quite often for the spot. Occasionally I just had to accept that I had done what was needed to get the lower spot that week and as a result has to wrestle up which meant giving up the additional weight. While that may have been a extreme wrestle off case I always took it as the spot wasn't owned by one of us it was earned by whoever showed progresses that week.

Our current system is having wrestle offs at a few times in the year that are pre-determined. In the event of a super close match were varsity guy lost we will sometimes run a best of three format to decide who should get the spot. If the varsity guys would lose he would have the ability I move up to challenge for the next weight class.

Edited by MattM

Every year for the last century (sarcasm) but for a long long time, there are always a decent amount of kids cut down a weight class right before sectionals. This is not something that is brand new in the world of high school wrestling. I don't know what all this fuss is about. Is it because it's happening in one of the state's top programs year in year out? Is it because it's involving a blue chip freshman that could have made a very deep run in the state tournament @ either weight class? I am seriously confused as to why this subject is drawing so much attention. Personally I don't feel any of the above questions should even be asked, because we all know this is nothing new to wrestling. I believe this can easily be summed up as a simple case of "I'm taking my ball, & going home"

Every year for the last century (sarcasm) but for a long long time, there are always a decent amount of kids cut down a weight class right before sectionals. This is not something that is brand new in the world of high school wrestling. I don't know what all this fuss is about. Is it because it's happening in one of the state's top programs year in year out? Is it because it's involving a blue chip freshman that could have made a very deep run in the state tournament @ either weight class? I am seriously confused as to why this subject is drawing so much attention. Personally I don't feel any of the above questions should even be asked, because we all know this is nothing new to wrestling. I believe this can easily be summed up as a simple case of "I'm taking my ball, & going home

Yes.

Every year for the last century (sarcasm) but for a long long time, there are always a decent amount of kids cut down a weight class right before sectionals. This is not something that is brand new in the world of high school wrestling. I don't know what all this fuss is about. Is it because it's happening in one of the state's top programs year in year out? Is it because it's involving a blue chip freshman that could have made a very deep run in the state tournament @ either weight class? I am seriously confused as to why this subject is drawing so much attention. Personally I don't feel any of the above questions should even be asked, because we all know this is nothing new to wrestling. I believe this can easily be summed up as a simple case of "I'm taking my ball, & going home"

Exactly.

Edited by ElbowTie

Wrestle - Offs are a very grey area in most programs.

It would be helpful to the sport to have standard rules and regulations in place.

Too much time, money and effort that modern year round wrestlers have put in over years...to have each school's coaching staff decide by politics.

-This post was inspired by the P. M situation but could take any place and with any kids now or later.

I do not know anyone there.

The coach at our high school refused to allow a wrestle off when a kid couldn't make weight anymore and wanted to wrestle off for next weight above him.

Although he would pin or tech fall the kid, it did not matter because the kid above him in weight was a life long program kid (although very average in talent)

I guess the head coach makes final choice.

Edited by legger

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.