Kids who quit and what to say to them

Maybe so, but I have never seen any of them hitting a scale before competing... You better have your head on right to pull off a weight cut.

Better yet, enjoy a proper balanced diet along with exercise year round.

Effectively "cutting" out any said weight cut.

Better yet, enjoy a proper balanced diet along with exercise year round.

Effectively "cutting" out any said weight cut.

That's a great concept...

In a perfect world all wrestlers would eat as if they were Andrew Clark!

Edited by Jimtown 138

Dude this is a wrestling forum, what do you think we'll be selling kids on? Either you're the 800 pound gorilla or you're not...

well aware of the purpose of this site.  I lived the life for many years, but I'm not blind to the fact that other activities prepare kids for life.  Wrestling is not for everybody.  Doesn't make those that choose not to participate weaker than the ones that do or ill prepared to face the challenges life will throw at them.

Does wrestling teach life lessons?  Absolutely?  Does participating in another sport, speech/debate, drama, journalism/yearbook, etc. teach life lessons?  Absolutely.  All i'm saying is each individual is different and if they choose to stop wrestling it's their choice.  Should a coach try and retain them, yes.  Should a coach pressure them into something they don't want to do?  Nope.

Does wrestling teach life lessons? Absolutely? Does participating in another sport, speech/debate, drama, journalism/yearbook, etc. teach life lessons? Absolutely. All i'm saying is each individual is different and if they choose to stop wrestling it's their choice. Should a coach try and retain them, yes. Should a coach pressure them into something they don't want to do? Nope.

Seems as you have walked the walk personally and also have had a son walk away. That kinda makes you an expert and I can respect that. In no way is a kid that walks away "weak". Are they worse off?.... depends on the kid I guess. If a kid has another path in mind and the guidance at home that he needs to make a wise choice, then by all means maybe you let go a little sooner and allow them to go without too much effort to retain them.

The topic was "what to say to a kid". After all of this input, I think the best answer is this... it depends on the kid. But as coaches we should lay it out there and give each kid options, if they need them. I guess my advice was simply... do not live with regrets. That's the way I live my life now and, it is pretty good.

Edited by Mattyb

How about goodbye. Next kid in. Stop kissing the butts of this crybaby generation!

In that case... lets not give any kids guidance. No matter the circumstance... just tell them to kick rocks and move on. Sounds good to me!!!

Btw.. I think that todays generation is not as soft as some old timers may think (in general). These kids have much harder school work (in my opinion), have way more distractions, and work very hard to get to the top. The top kids wrestle 365 and are always looking to get better. They are doing camps and academy (stuff that did not exist before). There is no doubt in my mind that my son is tougher than I was at his age. And btw... isn't that what we all want from our kids???? To be better than us, and to achieve a great life (not just wrestling). Are there crybabies? Sure are!!! But I remember a ton of whimps when I was growin up too. Back in the day, you may have one or two kids that were jacked on each team. Now... almost every kid is jacked (on the top teams). I think that you are selling these kids short by saying that they belong to a crybaby generation.

Edited by Mattyb

How about goodbye. Next kid in. Stop kissing the butts of this crybaby generation!

I always love it when youthful weakness is estimated to be specific to whatever current generation is young.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

--Socrates, 5th century BC

Young people are weak and cry--it's been a fact of life reflected slightly differently in every generation since the beginning of man. But the respected coaches who are responding in this thread recognize that sometimes the best long-term antidote to lack of discipline is a little encouragement, grace, and support--not always a fear-based, need-for-control kick in the a**.

Edited by maligned

I always love it when youthful weakness is estimated to be specific to whatever current generation is young.

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

--Socrates, 5th century BC

Young people are weak and cry--it's been a fact of life reflected slightly differently in every generation since the beginning of man. But the respected coaches who are responding in this thread recognize that sometimes the best long-term antidote to lack of discipline is a little encouragement, grace, and support--not always a fear-based, need-for-control kick in the a**.

This quote didn't come from Socrates, and it certainly isn't 2500 years old.

Regardless, I do agree with your point.

Research has indicated it seems to have came from the early 1900s for some college kids dissertation. And he was pointed it out as a part of sociaties complaints about the youth of the time not as a Socrates quote. Somehow it got accredited to Socrates by someone after that. But still there is some kernel of truth to this issue reoccurring in each generation. Edited by MattM

I didn't know that. Thanks, guys. I originally read it in a British textbook 6 or 7 years ago along with 10 other quotes of its type from other leaders and philosophers through history about how lost and lazy the "current" youth were; so even if it's now known not to be authentic, there are many others that are. If nothing else, I know all my elders said the same things as montymo 25 years ago about my generation when I was about to start high school.

Edited by maligned

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.