Fort Wayne Semi-State Rankings Updated

Y2CJ41

Ooh...the dreaded reverse bias.  No way Gimson is #3 at 132.  It's ok to move a non-state qualifier in front of a couple of low-weight qualifiers when he beats two middle-weight placers, including pinning a Big 10 commit, and has no losses.  Don't throw your pick 'ems brain out the window because you don't want to rock the boat. We know you're objective.   :) Based on all the results now, I can see him at FW #2 and state #5 behind Hunt, Luigs, and the big 2, but no worse.

Edited by maligned

Hunt was going to be #1 regardless. But according to results, Mosser is also undefeated with a win over Becker(Becker pinned Gimson the last time they wrestled) and a state qualification to his name. Gimson could and possibly should be over him but I don't think that's a forgone conclusion by any means when compared to an undefeated senior who has made it to state, unless Mosser actually has lost and it just hasn't been posted to the results.

Hunt was going to be #1 regardless. But according to results, Mosser is also undefeated with a win over Becker(Becker pinned Gimson the last time they wrestled) and a state qualification to his name. Gimson could and possibly should be over him but I don't think that's a forgone conclusion by any means when compared to an undefeated senior who has made it to state, unless Mosser actually has lost and it just hasn't been posted to the results.

I should have prefaced my earlier comments with this: the rankings look great, and we all genuinely appreciate you stepping up to do them.  Also, I always enjoy reading your posts...you've got a good sense of what's going on and don't take things too seriously.

With that said...of course Becker pinned him last time.  Anybody with a decent wrestling pulse beat him last year.  But that was last year.  He just rolled through a bracket that no one would pick Mosser, and possibly not Hunt, to navigate.  He's a different man and it's a different season.  No one on flo rankings is undefeated, beats #4 and #5, then stays behind #16 because #16 is also undefeated.  They rightfully jump to the front of the line.  The same in football rankings.  If an unproven quantity gets a huge win (like Louisville over FSU this year), they leapfrog everyone they were supposed to be behind despite those teams not losing.

Anyway, I'm mostly just pushing your buttons because you're a Jimtown guy and I initially thought it was a Y2 situation of intentionally underrating his own guys.  Keep up the good work.

Some notables from the New Haven invite.113 #2 wyatt miller over #4 Chris Schiller by pin in first period. 120 #5 Boyce 10-6 over #6 rushing. 126 #8 Burns pins #7 (132) Davis. 145 #3 winner5-1 over #6 wyro. 152 #3 Reed 6-4 sv over #2 Leonhard. 160 #5 Potter 6-5 over #7 Johnson . 170 Johnson 5-4 over #6(160) hemmelgarn. 220 #7 Baumgartner lost 6-4 to Elkins and 6-2 to Elwood, #1 Hare beat both Elwood and Elkins.

Some notables from the New Haven invite.113 #2 wyatt miller over #4 Chris Schiller by pin in first period. 120 #5 Boyce 10-6 over #6 rushing. 126 #8 Burns pins #7 (132) Davis. 145 #3 winner5-1 over #6 wyro. 152 #3 Reed 6-4 sv over #2 Leonhard. 160 #5 Potter 6-5 over #7 Johnson . 170 Johnson 5-4 over #6(160) hemmelgarn. 220 #7 Baumgartner lost 6-4 to Elkins and 6-2 to Elwood, #1 Hare beat both Elwood and Elkins.

That 160 Johnson win was over Thomas Hemmelgarn not Ivan Hemmelgarn. Thomas is not ranked.

That 160 Johnson win was over Thomas Hemmelgarn not Ivan Hemmelgarn. Thomas is not ranked.

They wrestled at 170 and its Ivan on the bracket as the 1 seed and it showed him as 19-2.The lose was to johnson from new haven. Thomas wrestled 160 and lost in the first round Johnson from wayne.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of action tonight with Bellmont and Carroll.

126: Joel Byman (CA) dec. #11 Jon Becker (BE) 6-0

138: Grant Gutierrez (BE) dec. #10 Ethan Hicks (CA) 5-4

285: #14 Braiden Shaw (BE) pins #9 Jesse Lawson (CA) 3:58

Byman did not wrestle this Saturday at the Concordia Wild Bill Invitational, do you know why?

(It just seems odd that he misses a big invitational but then wrestles a dual 3 days later).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.