Some sleeper picks

ontherise219

With unranked Thomas Penola having a great Al smith beating several ranked opponents along the way I got to thinking who are some other guys the state or even semi state rankings are sleeping on that can make some noise? I'll start with one, after ihswca I thought Sam Osho Avon was a sleeper pick, he's a tough kid to wrestle then went to mater dei and beat a tough Reese.

You're dreaming about this in your sleep now Mike? Man the life of a rankings guy is rough. :)

Don't all true wraslin fans dream about wraslin. I have a nightmare about da time I wrasled Randy Lewis. He let met get his leg den flopped me on my head. Or when I wrasled Metzger and learned what a metzger was. I only think about da battles I lost. Dat was almost 40 years ago and I still have deem vivid dreams.

Whiteland - 132 ? Deven Williams

Danville - 170 Trizton Carson

Danville - 106 Logan Boe

Plainfields - 138 LJ Burdon

Avon - 126 Roy Reynolds

-----------

A few I'll be watching

Is Deven Williams back in the Whiteland room again? I heard from multiple people he had quite wrestling this year.

Those unranked in the Fort Wayne semistate who could do some damage

Wes Del: 106 Coltyn Abbott and 152 Dylan Torbush

Cowan: 152 DJ Bell

Muncie Central: 145 Eliseus Young, 170 Kaiman Hayden, 195 Lorenzo Reyes

Jay County: 120 Seth Fugiett 170 Ivan Hemmelgarn

Southern Wells: 132 William Fiechter 170 Sam Smith

We often think of the typical big jump in quality as being from freshman to sophomore year (me included), but the leap in quality for bigger guys is often the sophomore to junior year where the needed big-guy strength is catching up to the experience level. With Penola's breakout performance at the Al Smith, going from a first-round semi-state loser with double-digit losses as a sophomore to beating 4 straight top-12 guys and winning the Al Smith as a junior, it got me thinking about other bigger weight guys that were tough as sophomores last year.  (We also miss the bigger guys in rankings sometimes because they don't compete in the off-season as much due to other sports, and because they can sneak up on us from less-regarded schools since strength and speed alone can translate to needed skills more easily with big fellas.)

A couple I've seen that aren't state or semi-state ranked and could be overlooked because of emphasis on last year's results when there's a good chance there's that ability leap we're talking about:

Sisk at 220 from Pike Central (37-8 last year)...should be at least top 3 coming out of Castle regional

Kiave Guerrier at 182 from Evansville Central (32-11 last year)...just rolled through everyone except for a respectable 8-2 loss to #1 Walton (who's only gone the distance a couple times this year) in taking 3rd at Mooresville. 

Edited by maligned

We often think of the typical big jump in quality as being from freshman to sophomore year (me included), but the leap in quality for bigger guys is often the sophomore to junior year where the needed big-guy strength is catching up to the experience level. With Penola's breakout performance at the Al Smith, going from a first-round semi-state loser with double-digit losses as a sophomore to beating 4 straight top-12 guys and winning the Al Smith as a junior, it got me thinking about other bigger weight guys that were tough as sophomores last year.  (We also miss the bigger guys in rankings sometimes because they don't compete in the off-season as much due to other sports, and because they can sneak up on us from less-regarded schools since strength and speed alone can translate to needed skills more easily with big fellas.)

A couple I've seen that aren't state or semi-state ranked and could be overlooked because of emphasis on last year's results when there's a good chance there's that ability leap we're talking about:

Sisk at 220 from Pike Central (37-8 last year)...should be at least top 3 coming out of Castle regional

Kiave Guerrier at 182 from Evansville Central (32-11 last year)...just rolled through everyone except for a respectable 8-2 loss to #1 Walton (who's only gone the distance a couple times this year) in taking 3rd at Mooresville. 

Another one I don't know much about...what's happening with Lowe of Greenfield-Central other than losing to Allred?

Sisk from pike central i believe is 26-2 this year with losses to Sulawske from memorial and Union county. He should see Halbig from Princeton this weekend

Guerrier has one other loss this year, to McKinley of Tecumseh, who he beat back the following weekend

Dyoung,

I agree, Unseld is tough and is on my watch list. Who did he pin that is in the top 8? When did this match take place?

He pinned Chris wilkerson at the new castle duals November 22. Also beat Zane strandridge 4-1 that day

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.