Moran brothers?

MatFish

I've had the honor to wrestle aside the Moran brothers and they are great kids! I just hope Jonathan can wrestle because he is a senior and deserves a chance to fight and try to wrestle under the lights! Very talented young men with bright futures, let them wrestle!!

Eleven years ago we were the center of controversy and criticism as a result of a family decision to build a new home that happened to be in the School City of Mishawaka district.  Previously we lived in Penn District a mere three miles distance.  This was not a spur of the moment process, it was in process for six months.  During that six months we told NO ONE of our intentions.  We contracted the construction and bought the land for our new home, leased temporary housing (within the SCM boundaries) and contracted for the sale of our home in Penn Twp. During this time I also sent all of the information of our move: current address, temporary address and final address once the home was complete, with time frame to Blake Ress at IHSAA.  There was no formal ruling at that time he simply confirmed that we were meeting ALL of the requirements of a BONA FIDE FAMILY MOVE according to the guidelines established by the IHSAA.  Six months later, in one weekend we vacated our home (moved absolutely every item)  and moved into our temporary townhome while the new house was completed.  Monday morning after moving, I again emailed Blake Ress and the IHSAA to keep them comprised of our progress.  AT THIS TIME I also CC'd the Atheletic Director at Penn High School Ben Karasiak all of the correspondence that had b previously been sent to Mr. Ress and the IHSAA.  Approximately around 11am I went to Penn High School and filled out the appropriate paperwork to dis-enroll Steven from Penn. From Penn I drove directly to Mishawaka High School and enrolled Steven at MHS.  Next I stopped in to the Athletic Office and spoke with Athletic Director Kirby Whitacre to discuss the appropriate process for Athletic Transfer procedure.  KEEP IN MIND, UP TO THIS POINT....NO ONE OUTSIDE OF OUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY KNEW WE WERE LEAVING PENN....AND NO ONE KNEW WE WERE COMING TO MISHAWAKA. So Mr. Whitacre was very professional but I must admit the look on his face was priceless when I walked in that morning.  The request for release paperwork was faxed to Penn and I left.  Before I got back to my office which is only 10 minutes from the High School, my phone rang and I saw that it was Mr. Whitacre.  He informed me that he had just received a fax from Mr Karasiak from Penn....signing off on the athletic transfer.

This is the first time I have shared this publicly in eleven years.  My point for sharing this now is to possibly help someone that may consider a move or transfer in the future.  I don't know the circumstances of the Moran's, but sure don't like to see kids not being able to do what they love.  So the advice for everyone else....is simply do it the right way.  Meeting all the requirements of a bona fide family move is as close to a 100% guarantee you can get in this situation.

To all of those that mention, said or whispered that we moved purely for athletic reasons....Steven was at MHS three short years......eleven years gone by and we still love our Mishawaka home and community.  As a family we continue to support our Mishawaka Schools, all of the atheltic teams and extra curricular student activities.  We moved to Mishawaka to be part of this community, and proudly are!

Best wishes for the Moran boys, hope to see both back on the mats.

Steve & Lisa Sandefer

i think the one thing that everyone is forgetting about - bonafide move or not - is the NEW past link rule.   this new rule sure does open up a new can of worms whether its wrestling, basketball, baseball, etc.   

I guess if you participate on a team with a coach from a different high school, you might not want to move to that high school.  I think this new rule was intended more for AAU basketball but has reared its head in wrestling now.

also - i'm not sure if the RTCs  fit in to this rule or not since they aren't being coached on a team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.