Moran brothers?

MatFish

I believe the Moran family knew the consequences when they decided to transfer to Portage. They knew there would be a chance their boys would have to sit out. I hope they get to wrestle, but you cant blame the IHSAA, it was the Maran family that took the chance.

I believe the Moran family knew the consequences when they decided to transfer to Portage. They knew there would be a chance their boys would have to sit out. I hope they get to wrestle, but you cant blame the IHSAA, it was the Maran family that took the chance.

But you can blame Crown Point!! I hope they remember that Karma is a Beotch!

Move/Not Move is essentially irrelevant. It's about whether the change of schools was for primarily athletic reasons or a possible "past link" with the coaching staff.

But someone also said that the move was closer to the fathers work. Im sorry but the past link to a coaching staff/athletic reasons should not come in to play imo. Being that we live in indiana where weather can get bad, driving an hour to work (which I do) is terrible and dangerous. If the family moved closer to work that should be a strong enough reason.

But someone also said that the move was closer to the fathers work. Im sorry but the past link to a coaching staff/athletic reasons should not come in to play imo. Being that we live in indiana where weather can get bad, driving an hour to work (which I do) is terrible and dangerous. If the family moved closer to work that should be a strong enough reason.

I think in this situation the Moran brothers should be able to wrestle. But, somewhere you have to have some safety measures, I feel, so in other cases coaches can't work with kids in the offseason and convince them to switch schools. I'm certainly not saying it happened here, but I do feel there needs to be measures in place to stop "recruiting" quality athletes.

IF I were with the IHSAA or Crown Point (I am affiliated with neither), here are the questions I would ask as to the legitimacy of the transfer:

1. Is this hour drive due to a new job? If not, why is the hour drive now an issue?

2. Does this transfer have to do with the retirement of Coach Vlink or the new CP coach chosen?

3. What are the non-athletic reasons the family chose Portage.  Let's be honest, if they moved to a school system with a so-so wrestling team the transfer denial doesn't happen.

The whole issue of transfers boggles my mind and goes WAY beyond the Morans. Transfers of studs happen every year and people express shock when the IHSAA gets involved.  It's natural to label the IHSAA as the evil big brother, but somebody has to enact and enforce the rules don't they? What would happen if kids could go wherever they want every year? Don't you have to draw a line somewhere?

Big picture, I wonder how these transfer issues affect the perception of the IHSAA regarding team wrestling? It's the situation of the haves and have nots.  Everybody in the Region knows Crown Point has benefited from transfers for the last decade or so.  Now CP is no longer the "it" program, and it shifts to Portage.  I just wonder if sooner or later the IHSAA says the hell with it and abandons the whole concept of wrestling as a team sport.  All the issues that used to be relegated to college programs are slowly trickling down to the HS ranks.  For Pete's sake, Bowman Academy (Gary) just a week or so ago had in ineligible player on their basketball team who NEVER attended school. The Coach, who is also the AD, expressed total shock that the kid hadn't attended school. How does that happen? Per standing operating procedure, he deflected the blame and threw someone else under the bus.  

Sorry, rant over. 

IF I were with the IHSAA or Crown Point (I am affiliated with neither), here are the questions I would ask as to the legitimacy of the transfer:

1. Is this hour drive due to a new job? If not, why is the hour drive now an issue?

2. Does this transfer have to do with the retirement of Coach Vlink or the new CP coach chosen?

3. What are the non-athletic reasons the family chose Portage. Let's be honest, if they moved to a school system with a so-so wrestling team the transfer denial doesn't happen.

The whole issue of transfers boggles my mind and goes WAY beyond the Morans. Transfers of studs happen every year and people express shock when the IHSAA gets involved. It's natural to label the IHSAA as the evil big brother, but somebody has to enact and enforce the rules don't they? What would happen if kids could go wherever they want every year? Don't you have to draw a line somewhere?

Big picture, I wonder how these transfer issues affect the perception of the IHSAA regarding team wrestling? It's the situation of the haves and have nots. Everybody in the Region knows Crown Point has benefited from transfers for the last decade or so. Now CP is no longer the "it" program, and it shifts to Portage. I just wonder if sooner or later the IHSAA says the hell with it and abandons the whole concept of wrestling as a team sport. All the issues that used to be relegated to college programs are slowly trickling down to the HS ranks. For Pete's sake, Bowman Academy (Gary) just a week or so ago had in ineligible player on their basketball team who NEVER attended school. The Coach, who is also the AD, expressed total shock that the kid hadn't attended school. How does that happen? Per standing operating procedure, he deflected the blame and threw someone else under the bus.

Sorry, rant over.

Theo bowman had done some shady stuff in basketball in their short time as a program. If portage is ok with accepting them as students and they are good students who will graduate on time why does it matter? This isn't the NCAA where school are making profits off of students. I honesty don't see the big deal.

Why can't parents choose to put their kids in the best position to succeed without penalty?  I mean things change...people move for all kinds of reasons and want something different for their families. Granted, there have to be some restrictions, but if someone is willing to uproot their family and physically move to another school district where they have also enrolled their kids PRIOR to the start of a school year, whether it's for athletic reasons or any other extracurricular activity, why can't they do that without penalty?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.