Al Smith

WowWrestling24

last year champ should. there will be lower placing al smith kids from 2015 seeded ahead of al smith finalists and champs from 2015. that's... well... ridiculous. can't ever remember a tournament that used a different event as #1 criteria. unless it was a first year event or event qualifier

This reminds me of back in '94 when Tim Myers of Bellmont didn't get a #1 seed after winning state the year before and still undefeated during the current season. He got the #2 seed at Mishawaka cause the #1 seed won the Mishawaka tournament the year before at that weight. Everyone knew Myers was the better wrestler, but cause of that criteria was seeded second. He won, which was no surprise. I think state accomplishments should always come before previous invitational accomplishments. This is actually a conversation piece we have a couple times every season because Myers like to remind Faurote of the time he didn't get him the #1 seed. It is pretty funny.

making #1 criteria a different event is by nature subjective. there are also many other variables when going outside the current event for #1 criteria specially when that event is 2 months later in the year. opinions should be way down the list along with how the event actually playes out. seeds should be earned. this current criteria doesn't reward past al smith performance. al smith has been a  prestige's tournament for years and now is taking a back seat in it's own back yard. not sure how this format would attract teams

Edited by MCKAJC

This reminds me of back in '94 when Tim Myers of Bellmont didn't get a #1 seed after winning state the year before and still undefeated during the current season. He got the #2 seed at Mishawaka cause the #1 seed won the Mishawaka tournament the year before at that weight. Everyone knew Myers was the better wrestler, but cause of that criteria was seeded second. He won, which was no surprise. I think state accomplishments should always come before previous invitational accomplishments. This is actually a conversation piece we have a couple times every season because Myers like to remind Faurote of the time he didn't get him the #1 seed. It is pretty funny.

The al smith is the best tournament during the high school season besides the state tournament.. Mishawaka can run the tournament and use the criteria as they see fit .. Indiana doesn't seed the state tournament so I am not sure what the compliant is .. Teams know prior to signing up what the seeding criteria is . Atleast they are seeding it , they could do a blind draw.. The simple solution is to do well there so you get a good seed next year.. if it's your first year earn your spot .. The best wrestler that day will win reguardless of seeding .. i do see and understand your points but it's their tournament to run how they choose.. it's the best tournament for many reasons..

Al Smith would! It's saying you have the best tournament in the land!

I agree .. We see it every year at state that the 16 kids that make it to state are not the best 1-16 in the state at that weight , a lot of it depends the strength of your semistate .. Last year I think two #1 kids got beat at the ticket rounds at semi state but could beat many of the 16 kids that made it to state .. Again they can run their tournament as they want..

Edited by eastdad18

So because our state tournament is unfair and incompetent, the Al Smith should do likewise?!

Take last year for example... Portage had no prior criteria for this tournament, therefore could not be seeded at any weight. How would you like it if your one or two seed is wrestling Torres or Lawrence day 1 at 10:00 am?!

So your saying al smith results should have more weight then the state finals?

at the al smith absolutely. state finals would be a good #2 criteria. I'm sure that's how the al smith did it 2 years ago. you will have kids seeded lower than kids they beat at this tournament last year. I'd like to know if anyone can name an event other that the al smith that doesn't use returning placers at that event as 1st criteria. I've never been to one.

The al smith is the best tournament during the high school season besides the state tournament.. Mishawaka can run the tournament and use the criteria as they see fit .. Indiana doesn't seed the state tournament

and this is exactly my point at great tournament does not use a different tournament to seed itself. no one is saying they can't do what they want, and I'm not sure what the state tournament being seeded or not has to do with it....  the ihssa doesn't run the al smith.

Right. A kid that went to state probably received forfeits to and through the ticket round.

really?? lol yeah I hadn't thought of that good.... point? wow...

at the al smith absolutely. state finals would be a good #2 criteria. I'm sure that's how the al smith did it 2 years ago. you will have kids seeded lower than kids they beat at this tournament last year. I'd like to know if anyone can name an event other that the al smith that doesn't use returning placers at that event as 1st criteria. I've never been to one.

and this is exactly my point at great tournament does not use a different tournament to seed itself. no one is saying they can't do what they want, and I'm not sure what the state tournament being seeded or not has to do with it.... the ihssa doesn't run the al smith.

really?? lol yeah I hadn't thought of that good.... point? wow...

The harvest classic uses state tourney first.

Sorry, forgot the sarcasm font.

So what you're saying is a kid who went to state does not deserve consideration to be seeded in a holiday tournament?

no I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that as it is at all elite events #1 criteria should be previous appearance at that event. it makes the seeding far more objective. in an earlier post it was mentioned that this format, which they just started last year, was to attract teams. doing that makes it far less objective and more subjective by adding variables to the process that have nothing to do with the al smith. so any other tournament as primary criteria is not only unfair to returning performers but also to the tournament itself. the state finish would be a good #2 criteria.   

The harvest classic uses state tourney first.

you sure about that? just a glance at the brackets IL kids with high seeds that didn't qualify for state but did well at the harvest last year

It worked fine the 30 + years before now.

isn't this is the second or third year they've seeded this way?

Edited by MCKAJC

you sure about that? just a glance at the brackets IL kids with high seeds that didn't qualify for state but did well at the harvest last year

100% sure that it is done that way. You would know that if you looked at the 120 bracket.

The IL guys have a state tournament too, btw.

At 45? Yet he wasn't ahead of any state qualifiers. Ahead of 2 ssq.

Sorry, forgot the sarcasm font.

So what you're saying is a kid who went to state does not deserve consideration to be seeded in a holiday tournament?

They blind draw the rest of the unseeded wrestlers. So anyone could get 1st round FF. They do a pretty good job of separating the byes to keep from any past first round.

It is the 2nd year.

Edited by warsawwrestling

Who is the 3 seed that MCKAJC is so worried about, from what I see McIntosh/Crary will be the 1/2 seeds, & I'm assuming Crary will be the 2 and this is why he's so upset, so what I wanna know who is the 3 seed that makes such a huge difference from 1 to 2?? I'm guessing Colza??maybe, but not completely sure???

Who is the 3 seed that MCKAJC is so worried about, from what I see McIntosh/Crary will be the 1/2 seeds, & I'm assuming Crary will be the 2 and this is why he's so upset, so what I wanna know who is the 3 seed that makes such a huge difference from 1 to 2?? I'm guessing Colza??maybe, but not completely sure???

I'm guessing Rasler?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.