Mooresville holiday classic

coach123

JustaDCguy,

Ty Mills did not miss weight. We withdrew him from the tournament yesterday along with Blake Mulkey and Reilly Peterson. (We later withdrew Zach Meyer because we found out his nose was broken from practice yesterday).

Here's the email I send to Mooresville AD yesterday.

We had team state Friday and are a bit banged up and sick. Here are some changes. Wanted to give them to you before tomorrow. Thanks!

120 - Ty Mills out and freshmen Geoffrey Carr is his replacement. 0-0

126- #1 Seed Blake Mulkey is out and his replacement is freshmen Gage Kelly who is 0-0.

220- Reilly Peterson is out And and sophomore Lawsen Aiken is his replacement. 4-2.

Sent from my iPhone

Or too bad mills didn't make weight

Wow... you must know something I don't.  Ty would have made weight just fine, like he has done for "every" single other tournament in his life. Unfortunately, Ty was not cleared by our doctor to wrestle on Monday due to a non-illness related injury that occurred at Team State.  He'll be back in a few days... no worries.  Of course, if you have the balls, which I suspect you don't, you should introduce yourself tomorrow.  :lol:

semi's happening now:

106:

#3 Campbell BB over Stephenson THS 10-0

#10 Bailey CATH over Todd YORK Fall

113:

#1 (106) Curtis YORK over Robinson DEL Fall

Antunez JC over Oliver CATH Fall

120:

Cash BN over Stephenson YORK 5-3

#11 Walendzak CATH over Fisher MART 3-2

126:

#10 Slivka CATH over #14 Willis CAS 5-3

Craig JC over Shuffit SEY 7-0

132:

#2 Bailey CATH over #13 Smith BN Fall

#7 Hunt YORK over Robinson WF 10-2

138:

#2 Melloh CATH over #12 Bigelow BB Inj Def

#7 White HH over #5 (145) Rutter YORK Fall

145:

#1 Lee BB over Rodgers CATH Tech Fall

Wyro HOM over Barr YORK 11-2

152:

#11 (138) Hiestand YORK over Dalton BN Fall

#16 Aydelott EDGE over McNutt CAS 5-2

160:

#13 Farmer CAS over Beineke JC 17-6

CASH!  Who is this kid who burst on the scene?  Is he a move in?

Beats

Cox, Mooresville (17-4 record) by pin 

Denny, Monrovia (16-4) 6-3

Carr, Brownsburg (2-2) 3-1

Stephensen, Yorktown (16-3) 5-3

Now he faces Walendzak from Cathedral in the finals... 

No surprise really isn't he Tommy Cashs little brother?

Yes, family moved to the Bloomington area when Tommy began attending IU. He's having a solid tournament so far.

Smith from Bloomington North is another solid move-in pick up that BLN got this season If I recall he comes by way of California. He's also had a nice tournament other than a run in with the older Bailey.

On a related moving around note Cash's finals opponent Walendzak started in Bloomington before attending Cathedral.

Edited by MattM

Yes, family moved to the Bloomington area when Tommy began attending IU. He's having a solid tournament so far.

Smith from Bloomington North is another solid move-in pick up that BLN got this season If I recall he comes by way of California. He's also had a nice tournament other than a run in with the older Bailey.

On a related moving around note Cash's finals opponent Walendzak started in Bloomington before attending Cathedral.

That makes since lol....   surprising they chose North over South

That makes since lol.... surprising they chose North over South

Bloomington North is currently coached by Marty Hutsell who was a two time state champ, multi-time big-10 placed, many coaching accolades in Georgia, and the son of legendary Bloomington coach Kay Hutsell. They may not have the current depth of BSouth, but as far as learning some old school toughness I think they are in good hand with Coach Hutsell. Edited by MattM

Yorktown takes a tight team race with 247.5 to Cathedral's 244.5 and Brownsburg's 221.  If you read earlier in the thread, you know that #1 Mills, #3 Mulkey, #13 Peterson, and the very tough Zach Meyers were all last-minute scratches for Brownsburg due to the flu and a broken nose.  Definitely not taking anything away from Yorktown's big win, but just in the interest of analysis: If the missing Bulldogs were there and performed at even minimum levels, even assuming realistic upset losses, they would have scored at least 50 more points--and probably 65 or 70 more.  (As mentioned here and in other threads, lots of teams are facing post-team state injuries and flu issues across the big individual tournaments.)

Edited by maligned

Yorktown did a fine job and Cathedral as well. I just happened to see more of their matches. I witnessed a lot of hard wrestling and a lot of young men and women we should all be proud of. On a side note, I want to send a lot of praise to Jennings County. Before the finals, my wrestler and our coaches, and a couple of wrestlers who weren't wrestling that day, decided to go into the Mooresville Wrestling Room with our Chaplain to say a final prayer before Riley White wrestled in his final match of the day.

Jennings County wrestlers were warming up, jumping rope and drilling. When we started our prayer in the corner of the room, they all stopped what they were doing and stayed quiet until we finished the prayer. Who said wrestlers have no class? Also, during the National Anthem not a soul was moving, kneeling, or talking.Wrestlers are perceived as a harsh group, but character is never in question. I witnessed many things today that remind me why I have my own son wrestling. Jennings County you have my respect. Coach Myers Hamilton Heights

Edited by Ironbear

Notable ranked/good match ups

#10 Little Bailey over #3 Campbell 4-3 good match

#15 Overton went down to Stephenson THS first or second round but came all the way back to beat him for 3rd 1-0

#1 (106) Curtis looked real good today w/o much competition other than against #13 Lawhead

UR Cash over Denny mon 6-3

UR Cash BLN over Stephenson York 5-3

#11 Walendzak CAT over Fisher Mart 3-2

#11 Walendzak over cash 13-2

#10 slivka over #14 Willis 5-3

#10 slivka over Craig JC 12-3

Curtis York DNP'd after beating #8 Davis at team state

#2 Bailey Fall over #10 Smith BLN

#2 Bailey Fall over #7 Hunt York

#2 Melloh over #7 White 17-8

#7 White over #5 (145) Rutter by Fall

UR Deters C over Rutter 4-3 TB1

B lee Dominate all day.

Ur Rodgers CAT over #10 Wathen 3-2

Barr York over Rodgers 2-1

Ur Hiestand over #16 aydelott Edge 12-7

Laughlin dominate all day

Cuccuarell BB over Runyon 3-1 SV

Stock mon over Ciccarelli bb 3-2

#1 Walton over #5 gray 5-2

#1 stewart over #11 McCormick 9-4

#4 Scruggs over #12 garrison lee 7-3

Ur Rhodes York over #8 biddle 2-1

#11 Clark over Sutton JC 3-3 Utb

#11 Clark over rhoades 3-2 UTB

My take on this tourney's finals:

Ignore the final team scores.  Too many wrestlers hurt, sick, or close weight wise from Team State three days earlier:

106: Baby face Bailey (no harm intended). Impressive.

113: Was that Curtis or Garcia who won the finals?

120: Wowendzak should be his name.

126: News flash: Slivka is good on top.

132: Bailey does not suck.  At all.

138: Neither does Melloh.

145: Hard-Lee worth watching.

152: Another Hiestand?  Great (insert sarcasm here).

160: Laughlin my way to the bank.

170: Deep weight class. Don't put "two" much "Stock" in Monrovia (twin brothers - FYI)

182: Both Walton and Gray are GOOD.

195: Ben Stewart.  Remember that name

220: Scroggs for life.

285: Rickie Clark bested this field of four+ possible state placers.

Skywalker out.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.