Good matches at Mater Dei Holiday Classic this year?

Heading into the finals matches, it is going to be a battle between Union, Mater Dei, St. X, and Avon.

Team Scores

1.  Union County  189.0

2.  Evansville Mater Dei  181.5

3.  St Xavier  164.5

4.  Avon  162.0

5.  Franklin Community   119.0

6.  Floyd Central  118.5

7.  Mt Vernon  108.0
8.  Belleville West   69.0

9.  New Albany   67.5

10.  North Posey  64.5

11.  Gibson Southern  52.0

12.  New Palestine  44.0

13.  Trinity   42.0

14.  Sullivan  27.0

15.  Tell City  6.0

Edited by pridewrestler

Avon had 8 starters entered. All placed. 106-2, 113-1, 138-4, 145-2, 160-1 and he was sick, 170-6, 182-5, 220-1. 1 replacement placed, 285-5. Missing Henson at 285, Frank at 195, Clark at 152, Miranda at 132, Reynolds at 126 and Chatterton at 120. Hope all get well soon. The Team still fought hard and placed 3rd. Every kid won at least 1 match. Trackwrestling has all the results. UC and EMD wrestled well. 

I bet he's good , Is he better than Kentucky HS State Champ Chase Yost or Runner-Up Nate Wheeler ?

In the matches I've seen him at this year, he's been very impressive. Has similar wrestling style to Escalara. Very quick, excellent scrambler and his ability to transition from one move to the next is top notch. Not saying he would beat Garcia, but it would be a very exciting match.

Nice showing by Mater dei and Avon after a brutal ihswca. It looked like some nice match ups. I got to see zeke wrestle Moran at ihpo he looked solid. Jacob got the win but a very tough first round match up there

There were lots of exciting semi final and wrestle back matches.

Garcia and escalara were likely the most dominating wrestlers of a respective weight class. I always enjoy Gunnar Larson. That is a big boy that can flat move

Why didn't he wrestle ?

Flu like symptoms according to mama, 5 lbs over night before according to everyone else lol. Christmas dinner and break got to him. He was a middle school state champ last season (beating his brother in the finals at 105).

There were lots of exciting semi final and wrestle back matches.

Garcia and escalara were likely the most dominating wrestlers of a respective weight class. I always enjoy Gunnar Larson. That is a big boy that can flat move

Got to meet Gunnar's parents. Talk about a proud set of parents right there. Super nice and kid couldnt have been any nicer either. Good luck to him at West Point!

In the matches I've seen him at this year, he's been very impressive. Has similar wrestling style to Escalara. Very quick, excellent scrambler and his ability to transition from one move to the next is top notch. Not saying he would beat Garcia, but it would be a very exciting match.

Hope he gets to feeling better, better now than later.

No disrespect to this wrestler or Kentucky wrestling in general cause they have some talent and all work hard at their respective weights . Anything possible when I say this. Most of you don't realize I've been waiting over 5 years on a Kentucky HS Wrestler or a MS since Kentucky allows them to wrestle to even score on Asa . This list includes Kentucky HS State Champ (Yost), Runner up (Wheeler) & 3rd (Tucker) and the list goes on & on . All cut points . So he's has wrestled Kentucky best with great success. We'll be there next year probably not at the same weight though lol. To maybe face Kentucky best .

I have seen Escalara wrestle for a couple years now (Coached against him). He is a very solid kid. I know that in 2015 he beat a very tough Tyler Conley from Avon at a tournament 4-3. Both are 8th graders. Maybe we see that match up next year. Also saw him at middle school nationals beat Owen Sego from Indian Creek 6 to 5 last year, in a great match. But, I agree with Garcia. Don't think that he can hang with Asa yet. Not taking anything away from the kid... because he did look great. I was very impressed with Union County's drags and set ups. I also liked they way they hit Turks. Would almost cut a kid... then reach down... pull the ankle... and get a deep Turk. Pretty slick stuff.

Edited by Mattyb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.