Good matches at Mater Dei Holiday Classic this year?

Deepest Weight Class-138

HM: 106-132-220

Weakest Weight Class- 170

HM: 195-285-120

Most anticipated match

1. Saul Ervin vs. Kyle Luiguis- Last year Ervin won 3-1 in the finals

2. Joe Lee vs Burk Van Horn- Indiana’s #1 versus #2

3. Avery Buckman vs Jaden Sonner Both are defending classic champions

4. Brett Henson vs Wade Ripple- Possible Semi State Finals match and top ten hwts

Question to be answered

1. Can Hinderlifter or Rioux give Kentucky’s stud middle schooler a match at 106?

2.  Will Van Horn or Lee bump up or down to avoid facing each other?

3.  Can Mason Miranda pull the upset of Ervin or Luigis?

4. How good is Sellmer?  He is having a great year in beating Melloh of Cathedral and losing to Rumph in OT.  I can see him getting 1st or 5th as 138 is loaded!

5.  Who from Avon will have a mediocre tournament but make it to state?  Last year Jacob Clark finished 5th at Mater Dei but 7th at state.  Conley finished 5th at Mater Dei and was a SQ. 

6. Most importantly, who wins the team race??  Union County beat Castle worse than Mater Dei did.  Team Rankings- Union County #1, Avon #2, Mater Dei #3. 

How many state champs will come from the classic? Every year seems to produce around 3-7 state champs.

Predictions- I say 9 state champs

#1 (KY) Union Zeke Escalena 

#1 Avon Asa Garcia

#2 (KY) St. X Nate Wheeler

#1 (KY) Union Saul Ervin

#1 (KY) Union Bryce Sheffer

#1 MD Joe Lee 

#2 FC. Van Horn

#3 (KY) Union Avery Buckman  

great write-up!

escalara will not get past hinderliter or rioux...

Deepest Weight Class-138

HM: 106-132-220

Weakest Weight Class- 170

HM: 195-285-120

Most anticipated match

1. Saul Ervin vs. Kyle Luiguis- Last year Ervin won 3-1 in the finals

2. Joe Lee vs Burk Van Horn- Indiana’s #1 versus #2

3. Avery Buckman vs Jaden Sonner Both are defending classic champions

4. Brett Henson vs Wade Ripple- Possible Semi State Finals match and top ten hwts

Question to be answered

1. Can Hinderlifter or Rioux give Kentucky’s stud middle schooler a match at 106?

2. Will Van Horn or Lee bump up or down to avoid facing each other?

3. Can Mason Miranda pull the upset of Ervin or Luigis?

4. How good is Sellmer? He is having a great year in beating Melloh of Cathedral and losing to Rumph in OT. I can see him getting 1st or 5th as 138 is loaded!

5. Who from Avon will have a mediocre tournament but make it to state? Last year Jacob Clark finished 5th at Mater Dei but 7th at state. Conley finished 5th at Mater Dei and was a SQ.

6. Most importantly, who wins the team race?? Union County beat Castle worse than Mater Dei did. Team Rankings- Union County #1, Avon #2, Mater Dei #3.

How many state champs will come from the classic? Every year seems to produce around 3-7 state champs.

Predictions- I say 9 state champs

#1 (KY) Union Zeke Escalena

#1 Avon Asa Garcia

#2 (KY) St. X Nate Wheeler

#1 (KY) Union Saul Ervin

#1 (KY) Union Bryce Sheffer

#1 MD Joe Lee

#2 FC. Van Horn

#3 (KY) Union Avery Buckman

Great tournament,

But a couple of points , Mason Miranda beating Luigis is not a upset .. both are very strong wrestlers .. Miranda finished ahead of Luigis at IHPO this year ... I think it's a close match if it happens with Miranda winning .. Sellmer is a good wrestler and has been on the rise for a couple of years but finally putting it all together this year..

Can't wait to see how Avon stacks up at EMD. I like that only Avon thinks the Avon kids have a chance.It might be like at Semi State 2 years ago in Evansville when Avon won and they would not announce it or give Avon the award. Avon's Coach had to go up to the head table and ask for it. any where in Evansville is a VERY tough place to win, even when you win. :-) 

the reason it took so long was because it was a TIE.   and they were trying to get confirmation from the IHSAA if they had a tie break policy in place.   they ended up giving the trophy to Avon but then found out on Tuesday that there was NOT a tie break and they awarded both Avon and MD co-championships.

the reason it took so long was because it was a TIE.   and they were trying to get confirmation from the IHSAA if they had a tie break policy in place.   they ended up giving the trophy to Avon but then found out on Tuesday that there was NOT a tie break and they awarded both Avon and MD co-championships.

The IHSAA website under wrestling, clearly list Avon as the Semi State Champions. I don't know how to get more official than that. Still a tough place to win even when the IHSAA declares you as the winner. 

The IHSAA website under wrestling, clearly list Avon as the Semi State Champions. I don't know how to get more official than that. Still a tough place to win even when the IHSAA declares you as the winner. 

Edited by frigginhurts

Top 3 predictions.

Rioux

Escalera

Hinderliter

Garcia

Egli

Schmidt

Wheeler

Dickens

Chatterton

White

Cook

Lee

Ervin

Luigs

Koderhandt

Sheffer

Kraeswig

Conley

Oxford

Reese

Bass

Lee

Bethel

Ervin

Brewer

Keller

Parkinson

VanHorn

Mosley

Ervin

Buckman

Sonner

Moore

Wilderman

Philpott

Kulmer

Larson

Boots

Cheam

Ripple

Lamping

Alloosh

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.